Would you fully upgrade your PC in 3 years or just upgrade a few components

Metro

Hello

Just interested in what the answered would be to this question

Thanks

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I upgrade each part at a time.

i would keep the power supply, case, (maybe ram) and hard drives and upgrade from there 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Hello

Thanks

I only built my PC about 7-8 months ago, but at this point, upgrade each component.

I like to tinker.  :D

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

No. I would upgrade each part as it's needed.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

I only upgrade if and what is necessary.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Hello

Thanks

Unless there is a new Titan card and a SkyLake extreme CPU then I'm keeping my my 5960X and Titan but I have gone through MANY upgrades

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Hello

Thanks

Hard to tell, it totally depends on what new stuff come out over those 3 years and what sort of compatability there is for components. Now with skylake, you are kind of forced to upgrade everything (CPU, MOBO + RAM) at which point, you may as well just build another pc instead of bringing over the  other components.

When in doubt, re-format.

Unless there is a new Titan card and a SkyLake extreme CPU then I'm keeping my my 5960X and Titan but I have gone through MANY upgrades

So what do you normally keep when you upgrade, case, PSU and storage?

Also how often do you upgrade then, every time a new CPU or GPU comes out

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Hello

Thanks

My main rig had 2 780Ti's then I upgraded to two 980 Hybrids I think, then I built my LAN party machine with a 780Ti I had from before, then I replaced it with a 980 ASUS 20th Anniversary Gold Edition.  I still use the gold in my LAN party machine and I don't see a reason to get another Titan X for that rig because it would just be plain Overkill.  I had two of the Zotac 980ti Arctic Storms and then I switched them out for 2 Titan X hybrids, then I decided I didn't want water cooled Titans so I switched them out for the Titans I have now.

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

My main rig had 2 780Ti's then I upgraded to two 980 Hybrids I think, then I built my LAN party machine with a 780Ti I had from before, then I replaced it with a 980 ASUS 20th Anniversary Gold Edition.  I still use the gold in my LAN party machine and I don't see a reason to get another Titan X for that rig because it would just be plain Overkill.  I had two of the Zotac 980ti Arctic Storms and then I switched them out for 2 Titan X hybrids, then I decided I didn't want water cooled Titans so I switched them out for the Titans I have now.

So what did you do with the old Titan X, did you sell them on Ebay

So what do you normally keep when you upgrade, case, PSU and storage?

Also how often do you upgrade then, every time a new CPU or GPU comes out

Well, I once had two upgrades within a year.  I usually upgrade as new hardware comes out to meet my needs, but I don't upgrades that I don't think will be absolutely necessary.  I know I'll get flak for upgrading from the 780 to the 980 but the 980 ran cooler and it's faster, so how could I not upgrade?   I also would recommend getting a new CPU before a new card because your CPU can be a serious bottle neck to your card.  PSU is something I upgraded just because I wanted a total overkill but generally I don't upgrade the PSU.  The case you upgrade when you want, that's personal preference.  The storage you will want to upgrade to what you can and that is why I have two WD black 2's and a 750 series PCI SSD because I wanted lots of fast storage.

So what did you do with the old Titan X, did you sell them on Ebay

I sold them on ebay for 100 under retail.

I seem to keep upgrading and upgrading. Its getting kinda out of hand, but I still havent owned anything newer than a sandy bridge, and

<-- Here is why.

Sandy bridge was nice man, but I'm going to relax pool side with my 5960x a little bit longer.

Thanks, all good responses, just wondering what to do with my next upgrade, it would be in 2018

So that would be Cannonlake E and Volta, was just wondering as I would need to replace CPU, Motherboard, GPU, AIO and some SSDs, did not know if it would just be easier to buy all new components

I upgrade one part at a time. I won't really need to upgrade for a while though since I just upgraded ( I might get a gtx 980 though ). 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Sandy bridge was nice man, but I'm going to relax pool side with my 5960x a little bit longer.

WIll you be getting Skylake E or wait for Cannonlake E as you have a 5960X now.

I've had my PC for just over 3 years now, and I found that it was best to upgrade individual parts over time rather than dropping a massive amount of cash on a new system all at once. Just me, though.

Probably just the GPU. But if the new architecture is a huge improvement, I'll probably look at a full system upgrade.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I upgrade part by part; but only when there's big performance gains. Next planned upgrades (not all at once, probably) GPU->144hz monitor->Cannonlake. Other than that, I don't think I'll be doing any upgrades in the near future.

2-3 years for GPU and 5 years for CPU is my personal upgrade timeline.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

It seems no one does a full system upgrade then after a certain amount of years