iOS 9 perfromance in older A5 devices reviewed

uyi1Wtz.jpeg

With older devices A5 devices like the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 getting offered a iOS 9 upgrade many suspected a performance hit, however according to performance tests carried by Ars technica the older devices generally sustained similar performance to iOS 8.

iOS 9 can't fix the age of the A5 and it doesn't always make things better, but the speed difference between iOS 8 and iOS 9 is negligible.

iPad 2 

UDCZUbj.png?1

iPhone 4s

YxcMTph.png?1

This won't come as a surprise as many features in iOS 9 are not available for the older devices, but they still get the security improvements and can benefit from Applications that support the new OS.

Older devices will miss out:

• Split View, Slide Over, and Picture-in-Picture multitasking. (for the iPad mini and iPad 2)
  • The new Spotlight screen, predictive Sir, and third-party Spotlight search.
  • Apple Health
  • Handoff features in Continuity
  • TouchID
  • Support for OpenGL ES 3.0, the Metal graphics API, 64-bit ARMv8 apps, and TouchID/Apple Pay.

It's quite nice that Apple supports its device for so long, the iPhone 4s was released at late 2011 and is still supported in late 2015. In comparison the original note was released at the same time and only got support up to 4.1 jelly bean (jelly bean was released in mid 2012).

Even though not all features are supported and some of the devices do take a performance hit, at least they stay secure with newer security features, also after all as applications get more featured over time even devices with older OSs will get a performance hit.

Source: Ars technica ( iPhone 4s http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-iphone-4s-a-stay-of-execution-nothing-more/  )

( iPad 2 http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-ipad-2-not-worse-than-ios-8-but-missing-many-features/ )

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Well Apple iPhone 4 users must be happy. Its the iPhone that is best suited to being an actual phone.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well Apple iPhone 4 users must be happy. Its the iPhone that is best suited to being an actual phone.

Still got mine after 4 strong years :D

See no reason to upgrade at the minute tbh

so... i'd be very interested in this if my ipod touch wasnt beyond fcked at this point...

(unstabile as all hell, the battery lasts like 10 seconds, not even exaggerating that...)

inb4 iPad 2 supports iOS 10, making it's supported service length a total of 7 years lol

Im still shocked my iPad 2, which I only use for eBooks now, is software-supported after 6 years, blows my mind, especially for an Apple Device.

$700 for a tablet is expensive. But not if it lasts this long. I bought that thing on the second month after release I believe.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Still got mine after 4 strong years :D

See no reason to upgrade at the minute tbh

Well it does have better battery life than any of the models after it (or the 4S anyway).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Damn, maybe I will upgrade my 4S.

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

cool topic

Cool post ;)

Pascal laptops guide

so... i'd be very interested in this if my ipod touch wasnt beyond fcked at this point...

(unstabile as all hell, the battery lasts like 10 seconds, not even exaggerating that...)

iPods always had to the worst battery life in Apple's line up, iOS 9 does have battery efficiency improvements thought.

Pascal laptops guide

Say what you will about Apple, at least they support their older devices.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

iOS 9 is VERY buggy right now. More so than 7 and 8 ever were. I am using an iPad 4, which is pretty powerful for its age. Still I almost wish I would have waited to upgrade. Btw I never felt that way from 7 or 8 (unless you count in the change to pastel colors in 7 which I still don't like)

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

iOS 9 is VERY buggy right now. More so than 7 and 8 ever were. I am using an iPad 4, which is pretty powerful for its age. Still I almost wish I would have waited to upgrade. Btw I never felt that way from 7 or 8 (unless you count in the change to pastel colors in 7 which I still don't like)

Sure about iOS7? It was the worst upgrade for my iPad 4, it used to get this stuck orientation bug and would constantly lag for some reason.

Pascal laptops guide

I was honestly expecting my ipad mini to no longer be supported for iOS 9, so this is a rather pleasing surprise, it's just a shame the multitasking capabilities are unavailable, I'd have used those a lot.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Use iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. Buggy and slow as fuck.

iOS 7.1 sorta helped it if I recall, it's A4 is really old now.

Pascal laptops guide

I have my iPhone 4 and aside from a couple of apps it cant run (as they require iOS 8+) its still perfectly good. I replaced the battery with a super high capacity one and I really dont have battery life problems anymore.

I dont use Siri and I don't get to game/watch stuff on it anymore. It literally gets used for phone calls, emails, texts and instant mesages.

Its also far more comfortable to use than the iPhone 5/6.

The only thing I do slightly miss is a better camera; but I have a dSLR anyway.

I have my iPhone 4 and aside from a couple of apps it cant run (as they require iOS 8+) its still perfectly good. I replaced the battery with a super high capacity one and I really dont have battery life problems anymore.

I dont use Siri and I don't get to game/watch stuff on it anymore. It literally gets used for phone calls, emails, texts and instant mesages.

Its also far more comfortable to use than the iPhone 5/6.

The only thing I do slightly miss is a better camera; but I have a dSLR anyway.

You mean the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 didn't get iOS 8.

Pascal laptops guide

You mean the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4 didn't get iOS 8.

No I mean i cant get iOS 8 on an iPhone 4 (well I can, but thats serious effort that i cant be bothered with for day to day use), Though it is possible.

Going from 8 to 9 on my 5s the first thing I noticed my battery life has essentially doubled from a day without charge to two.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Going from 8 to 9 on my 5s the first thing I noticed my battery life has essentially doubled from a day without charge to two.

As long as I dont watch movies or use the GPS, I can usually squeeze 2-3 days out of it.  But that is good to know. I always had issues before I changed the battery I was struggling to make it through the day on iOS 6 and 7.

it is nice to see long term support even if ios 9 is buggy

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The fact a 4 year old device still gets support for the latest OS should be good enough.

Ye ole' train