SHARP May Introduce 8K UHD Displays in October

HKZeroFive

Sharp Corp. has been among the most prominent supporters of the next-generation 8K ultra-high-definition resolution and may also be the first company to actually offer commercial 8K displays, according to a media report. The screens will be used for commercial applications and will hardly find their ways to homes.

Sharp intends to introduce its first 85” ultra HD displays with 8K (7680*4320) resolution already in October, reports DigiTimes citing Japanese media. The screens will utilize Sharp’s IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) backplane and a number of other technologies by the company. The panels will be aimed at various commercial and specialized applications, such as content creation, digital signage, museums, professional, military, healthcare and other industries.

Pricing of the displays will initially be around $12500 – $13300 per unit, but the amount of panels produced by Sharp will be extremely limited. According to IHS DisplaySearch, this year only around 2.7 thousand 8K display panels will be shipped commercially. By 2019, the number of such 8K panels made by various manufacturers will increase to 911 thousand panels.

sharp_8K_tv.jpg

NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai, Japan Broadcasting Corp.) will start to broadcast in its 8K super hi-vision format sometimes in 2018. Around that timeframe companies like Sharp are expected to introduce 8K TVs for consumers. However, the amount of content for such screens will be rather limited. Perhaps, early availability of 8K UHD panels will help content makers to prepare for next-generation television sets. In fact, NHK is expected to be a major customer for Sharp.’s 8K displays.

“The biggest inhibitor to the growth of 8K TV will be consumer screen size preferences,” said Paul Gray, principal analyst for IHS. “8K requires a very large screen or the higher resolution becomes invisible at normal viewing distances. The average screen size in the TV market has grown by an inch each year over the past decade, but it is still a long haul before sizes over 70” become commonplace.”

I could probably guess some people will say, 'we don't need 8K yet', '4K is still growing', 'it's too expensive' etc. While I agree on the prospect of owning a 8K display is seemingly unnecessary, it still sounds very exciting. Technology is advancing and that's just a good thing in general.

Besides, who wouldn't want a 8K display?

Sauce: http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/anton-shilov/sharp-may-introduce-its-first-commercial-8k-uhd-displays-in-october/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

All that time lapse content you can watch EXCITING! far off gaming in 8k 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

How is it 8k UHD? When UHD is slightly less than 4k.

From Wikipedia:

Ultra-high-definition television (also known as Super Hi-Vision, Ultra HD television, UltraHD, UHDTV, or UHD) includes 4K UHD (2160p) and 8K UHD (4320p), which are two digital video formats proposed by NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories and defined and approved by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).

The Consumer Electronics Association announced on October 17, 2012, that "Ultra High Definition", or "Ultra HD", would be used for displays that have an aspect ratio of 16:9 and at least one digital input capable of carrying and presenting native video at a minimum resolution of 3840×2160 pixels.

Basically anything from 4K and above.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

but-why.gif

EDIT: I literally cant see the point in these tho :/ You cant even stream 8K video to it from whatever device, try watching an 8K video and you may as well prepare a grave for bandwidth.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yea gaming in 8k is so insanely far away. Besides outside of vr it doesnt really make sense.

These 85in tvs look great, but their applicability is going to be so insanely limited by their size.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I find it amusing how long we were on 1080p before 4k was a thing, now we're already getting 8k TV's

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

This makes perfect sense for the Japanese market, however. It was stated that NHK's roadmap for broadcasting was aiming to skip 4K adoption and aim directly for 8K as their UHD standard. Considering both the 4K and 8K UHD standards were ratified at pretty much the same time, I think their goal was to avoid the somewhat confusing and annoying HD/FHD issues with the past, where 720p really was simply a stopgap resolution for television until 1080 panels ramped up and broadcasters made the digital switchover.

Barely can find any 4K content besides games, good luck finding anything to view on that....

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

How Many GPU's would you need to run a Game at 8K60FPS

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

where's LG's 8K panel? I though there are reports earlier this year that LG is making one for the 8K iMac?

How Many GPU's would you need to run a Game at 8K60FPS

4 Titan X's overclocked under water.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

4 Titan X's overclocked under water.

Even with perfect scaling it would be close. Maybe if DX12 is the true messiah of APIs.

How is it 8k UHD? When UHD is slightly less than 4k.

Bro, Ultra is the highest possible prefix.  This is easily observed in the fighting game Killer Instinct, where the highest combo possible was the Ultra combo. 

Bro, Ultra is the highest possible prefix.  This is easily observed in the fighting game Killer Instinct, where the highest combo possible was the Ultra combo. 

You can't base standards off a game combo, by that logic we would have Uberkill HD. And prefixes do not retain a level standard.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

"8K requires a very large screen or the higher resolution becomes invisible at normal viewing distances." Is this guy serious?! 

Richard Huddy, AMD’s chief gaming scientist tells me: “If we get to a display resolution of about 8k horizontally and about 6k vertically then, for a player with 20/20 vision, they will have something that is close to perfect for their visual system.”

Quickest Source i could find but there are better sources with the same thing: http://www.pcgamesn.com/both-nvidia-and-amd-are-preparing-for-8k-for-the-human-eye-that-resolution-is-close-to-perfection

I'm sitting here on my couch with a 1080p TV mounted on my wall 10 feet away and It's impossible for me to tell difference between 720p and 1080p. I have a hard time telling the difference between 480p and 1080p at this distance if you exclude the black bars on the sides.

So I see a few people are saying it doesn't make sense. Here's my take on it.

A Galaxy S6 screen is 577 ppi. No one really complains about that, it's seen as a great screen.

The 8k sharp TV @ 85 inches is 103 ppi.

Our current phones have around 5 times the pixel density of this 8k Tv.

I think that 8k is a great step forward and as unlikely as it is to happen I feel it might be better if we skip 4k altogether.

8K is what Japanese broadcasters are trying to push for the future anyway, so it's not that crazy.

Can't wait for glorious 8K moeblobs.

That said, does anyone know what panel manufacturer Sharp has contract with?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I wonder how beautiful 8K is. If my mind is blown away by 4K (in person), I can only imagine 8K...!  :o 

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

how about we nail 4k first, the first 4k blurays have only just been announced and tv is only just starting to come out. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

they need to keep getting higher res until resolution no longer matters, essentially benefiting VR with high pixel density displays while we wait for our nerve connector thingymajig

higher resolutions = higher demand for gpu performance

pascal is supposed to be amazing but that is yet to be determined