Sony changes stance on waterproof phones: Do not use underwater

CaptainGazzz

If you head over to Sony Mobile’s support page on water and dust protection, you will find several statements on Sony’s new policy including: “Remember not to use the device underwater” and “The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures.”                           These new disclaimers first appeared for the Xperia Z3+/Z4 back in May 2015. At the time, the new wording surprised us, but we thought it might only be targeted for that handset for some reason. However, when the same disclaimers were used with the Xperia Z5 launch it became clear that Sony is issuing new limitations on its waterproof devices

This is really weird. The Xperia-line of phones is advertised to work underwater. Sony advertised the Z3 as 'fully waterproof'. Some ads show people taking pictures underwater. Now they discourage using it underwater. I think this is almost 'false advertising'.

Source: link

Xperia-Z3-640x426.jpg

EDIT:

Sony did state that one of their phones was waterproof according to the article:

Take the Xperia Z3 as an example, Sony Mobile’s launch press release touted the device as having the “highest level of waterproofing” and that it was a “fully waterproof” smartphone.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

-snip-

I didn't know they advertised their phones as being water PROOF, because there is a HUGE difference between being water proof and water resistant, when I bought my Xperia Z3 tablet, they advertised it as being water resistant and specified the rating and a few examples of how you could wet the tablet without issues. People should investigate what the Rating of their phones is and look up what that means.

I didn't know they advertised their phones as being water PROOF, because there is a HUGE difference between being water proof and water resistant, when I bought my Xperia Z3 tablet, they advertised it as being water resistant and specified the rating and a few examples of how you could wet the tablet without issues. People should investigate what the Rating of their phones is and look up what that means.

If the picture above was shown by Sony, I would count that as water-proof, and therefore false advertising.

F-you Sony. Make your god damned mind up

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

No, it's simple, if they advertise their phones to be (somewhat) waterproof then they have to fufill that claim!

False advertisement is actually a crime in some or rather most places of the world.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

It has a IP68 rating, which should mean that it is submersible for 30min and waterproof.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

If the picture above was shown by Sony, I would count that as water-proof, and therefore false advertising.

Wrong, depending on the rating of the phone it can be 1 meter deep under water for 30 minutes, AGAIN being water resistant doesn't mean it is water proof. 

As an example take IP67, the 6 (scale of 0-6) means it is Dust tight meaning no dust will get into the phone at any time. the 7 means it is water resistant up to 1 meter of water, it is guaranteed that no water will get into it as long as the phone is not submerged any deeper than 1 meter, and not for extended periods of time. 

So, answering your question, yes it can be advertised as being able to get into a pool take a photo and get it out of there and dry the screen out, no problems with that.

I think this is more of Sony saying they aren't covering water damage in their warranties than anything else.

It has a IP68 rating, which should mean that it is submersible for 30min and waterproof.

I didn't know the phone was rated IP68, even better, it can go a little over 1 meter below surface for about half and hour, and it is not water proof, it resists water up to the point it is rated for.

It's not waterproof guys, Its Water Resistant.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

If you look at the specifications of the three new phones you can still see that they're rated to the same IP65/68 as the older versions (eg. Z5 Compact Specs, Z5 and Z5 premium). IMO these phones are just as waterproof as they ever were, some Sony lawyer just said "Hey, nonono you can't market it like that any more, we'll be liable if someone goes snorkeling with their phone and it leaks." 

Sounds like false advertising, probably is false advertising, but it won't matter because some lawyer probably included something somewhere making it not false advertising.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Finally! Thanks for being the only one besides me xD

I think this is more of Sony saying they aren't covering water damage in their warranties than anything else.

Sony did state that the Xperia Z3 was waterproof. 

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3/features/

Z3 says waterproof and dust resistent on their page.

Intel Core I7-4790K 4.5GHz 1.225V, NZXT Kraken x60 AIO Cooler, EVGA Z97 FTW Board, Kingston Fury 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980 TI SC+ ACX GPU, Corsair Air 540 Case w/ 3x120MM & 3x140MM Cougar Red LED Fans, EVGA G1 650W 80+ Gold PSU, Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, Samsung UD590 4k 60Hz Monitor

and here i am without a phone and not caring, this doesn't matter to me since i plan on getting a windows phone

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Sony did state that the Xperia Z3 was waterproof. 

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3/features/

Z3 says waterproof and dust resistent on their page.

Here:

Snap away with a waterproof smartphone

With the waterproof Xperia Z3, you can take pictures with the best smartphone camera while swimming in fresh water for up to 30 minutes. You can even dive down to 1.5 metres with it. Just remember that all the covers for the micro USB port, the micro SIM slot and the memory card slot must be firmly closed.

For the record, my camera from Sony is advertised as being water-proof and yet it can only go so deep and only for so long. That sounds like water-resistance to me. Arguably, NOTHING is water-proof. Everything has limits and therefore can only take so much water pressure. In that case, everything is only water-resistance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There was probably some idiot who took the phone into the sea and is now sueing Sony.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

and here i am without a phone and not caring, this doesn't matter to me since i plan on getting a windows phone

Woo Windows Phone master race!

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

i think they are saying this because some people are being stupid and going nuts with their phones dropping them in waterfalls and expecting them to tank it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Sea salt and chlorine will nuke rubber seals, hence why Sony so very clearly states that their new phones with the flapless USB covers can only handle mild soakings, not full on dunking. I guess you could go for a dunk in fresh water, if you wanted to. 

-snip-

I have stated that the phone is  waterproof and that was wrong, I based this on the claims of Sony.

However, the point that I am trying to make is: Sony advertised their phone as 'waterproof' and then continue to completely discourage users to use the phones underwater. I find that a company shouldn't make claims that their phones are 'waterproof' and show the devices underwater and then discourage user's to use them underwater.

Well, it is waterproof isn't it. Saltproof and chlorine-proof though? :)

Still false advertising.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.