AMD Reorganises GPU Divison - Forms 'Radeon Technologies Group'

HKZeroFive

Today AMD is announcing a significant restructuring, one that in some ways even greater than last year’s business unit reorganization. Taking effect immediately, AMD is bringing the band back together. The company will be reforming a singular, monolithic graphics group – the Radeon Technologies Group – to oversee every aspect of AMD’s graphics efforts. The Radeon group will in turn be led by long-time ATI and AMD graphics guru, Raja Koduri.

When I first saw this announcement the plan came as a bit of a shock, and for good reason. AMD has spent a significant amount of time and energy on making graphics a core part of the company at every level, and now the formation of the Radeon Technologies Group runs counter to some of those efforts. This is unquestionably a bit of backtracking by AMD, though a move that after 9 years they feel is necessary.

amd-radeon-graphics.jpg?fit=1025%2C500

Though I imagine most long-time AMD followers understand just what graphics being an integral part of AMD at a high level, it wasn’t until this announcement that even I truly understood just how spread out AMD’s various graphics-related sub-groups have been. Between the various groups, AMD has had departments reporting to CTO Mark Papermaster, CVP of Global Marketing John Taylor, CVP and GM of graphics Matt Skynner, VP of Visual Computing Raja Koduri, and other executives within the AMD structure. The end result is that graphics is truly is everywhere within AMD, but at times it is also nowhere.

Having graphics spread out as AMD has been was intended to foster deep cooperation between the various AMD CPU and graphics groups, by making everyone vested in the success of AMD’s graphics initiatives. However from what I’m hearing with respect to today’s announcements, being spread out in such a fashion has also hamstrung AMD’s graphics initiatives at times. Having different groups under different executives controlling technology, marketing, ISV relations, and other aspects of the business has prevented AMD from being able to execute swiftly on the graphics front, and ultimately that has hurt AMD as a whole.

Leading this new group is AMD veteran Raja Koduri. Prior to today Raja was AMD’s Vice President of Visual and Perceptual Computing, and starting today Raja is being promoted to the executive level as the Senior Vice President and Chief Architect of the Radeon Technologies Group, reporting directly to CEO Dr. Lisa Su. As of this writing AMD does not have their new executive organization chart up, but with this reorganization and promotion, Raja is being promoted to the same level as AMD’s other SVPs, and Raja’s group being made a counterpart to AMD’s computing and EESC groups.

This is good, AMD definitely needs to restructure their company to focus more on their GPUs. Now, the only question I have is that will this create a lesser emphasis on their CPUs? Especially with Zen coming out next year, I hope AMD will keep the momentum of their CPU models going whilst also building their GPU models to continuously rival NVIDIA's upcoming Pascal and Volta. It's just a matter if they can handle both at once.

Sauce: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9612/amd-reorganizes-graphics-division-radeon-whole-once-more-led-by-raja-koduri

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

This doesn't contribute to the discussion of the topic at all, but I just wanted to point out that Radeon Technologies Group sounds like a cool ass name. 

/shitpost

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Honestly AMD is basically out of the CPU market at this point, if they're gonna get back in, zen is gonna have to be really fuckin impressive.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

From what i get from this, it just means that the engineers wont be spread so thin, and answering to a dozen departments. I don't see anywhere that AMD has given up on either GPU's or CPU's. Seeing as this group is still owned by AMD, and is still flying the AMD banner, it is still part of AMD's camp. What this means is that they will most likely have different R&D departments, and it also means that the engineers won't be double dipping anymore.

All in all, it's win-win either way. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So AMD finally said "FINE. We'll let ATi go."

yay. Now Valve can buy them.

Intel would outbid them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Intel would outbid them.

Valve literally shit 1 mil a day.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Intel would outbid them.

Man, if they dissolve it looks like your vision of the future for Intel/ATI and nVidia/x86_64 could become a thing.

Man, if they dissolve it looks like your vision of the future for Intel/ATI and nVidia/x86_64 could become a thing.

That would be the best solution for everyone TBH.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Valve literally shit 1 mil a day.

Yep, from people opening cases and getting fucked over with blue skins.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Yep, from people opening cases and getting fucked over with blue skins.

I'd say that the best option for us is if Valve buy ATI - give them an unlimited budget and go back to wiping their asses with money.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So AMD finally said "FINE. We'll let ATi go."

yay. Now Valve can buy them.

They did let the mobile (as in phones) radeon go. It's known as Adreno (anagram of Radeon) lol. 

Was actually supposed to be posted here, :lol:

Back to reality: What would AMD be without graphics?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

I'd say that the best option for us is if Valve buy ATI - give them an unlimited budget and go back to wiping their asses with money.

Valve is hardly a company with an unlimited budget, especially compared to Intel, a company with the foundries and the engineers and the programmers to put AMD's IP to real use.

Valve is hardly a company with an unlimited budget, especially compared to Intel, a company with the foundries and the engineers and the programmers to put AMD's IP to real use.

Have you checked  how much Valve make - they stopped doing anything - steam is a cash cow like non other.

They did let the mobile (as in phones) radeon go. It's known as Adreno (anagram of Radeon) lol. 

Adreno GPU's are in the Droid Turbo the S5 the Note 5 but I belive that the Exynos GPU's on the S6/S6 edge/S6 Edge+/Galaxy Note 5 are also from AMD

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Have you checked  how much Valve make - they stopped doing anything - steam is a cash cow like non other.

Probebly those fucking rich kids buying $1000 worth of case opening and getting run over with blue skins

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

I am. I also know how it's plateaued and people are waking up to its problems slowly but surely. And it still doesn't compare to Intel's money.

Adreno GPU's are in the Droid Turbo the S5 the Note 5 but I belive that the Exynos GPU's on the S6/S6 edge/S6 Edge+/Galaxy Note 5 are also from AMD

The Galaxy S6's are all ARM Mali cores. (T760 iirc)

Umm....

RTG... Why not just ATi?

Sounds a lot better, just sayin.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15