AMD Reorganises GPU Divison - Forms 'Radeon Technologies Group'

HKZeroFive

AVX2 wise i read about it and im really surprised its not in every game engine already, even OS, basically all the code in games that deals with floating point operation can benefit from this greatly since boohoo everything you see on the screen in 3D games are vectors and matrices calculations exactly what benefits the most from avx2. AVX2 + DX12 would seriously boost CPU performance in games, but apart from Haswell and up there is not much support on avx2, so i guess thats why no one uses those instruction for games so far. Its sad that new cpu tech(instructions) is the least adopted one, we hardly get adoption for new graphics API. 

Well if Microsoft supported code multiversioning, you could have the legacy code paths and the paths with AVX2 for those people with those instructions so everyone gets the fastest code possible for their platform. ICC, GCC, and Clang all support that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

intel redid the license so whoever buys amd wont get the x86 license and nvidia has no experience making desktop cpus

intel will probably be interested in amd's driver team 

Denver was originally going to be a desktop CPU, but when Nvidia tried to get away with x86 manipulation, Intel brought the hammer down on them. Danver's design is actually very problematic for Intel. It's a VLIW design, but it's based on optimizing a simpler language into longer instruction words with minimal amounts of data and control hazards. It's highly innovative and potentially dangerous at higher clocks with more refinement.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

When I look at 2016/2017, I am seeing a completely different PC gaming environment on the horizon.

This.

Denver was originally going to be a desktop CPU, but when Nvidia tried to get away with x86 manipulation, Intel brought the hammer down on them. Danver's design is actually very problematic for Intel. It's a VLIW design, but it's based on optimizing a simpler language into longer instruction words with minimal amounts of data and control hazards. It's highly innovative and potentially dangerous at higher clocks with more refinement.

but it is not a desktop processor and is nowhere close to the power of a desktop processor

intel will probably be interested in amd's driver team

yeah, they will fire everyone of them .. on the spot  :lol:

yeah, they will fire everyone of them .. on the spot  :lol:

no they need their experience making drivers for broken games and honestly ive had more trouble with nvidia drivers than amd drivers

but it is not a desktop processor and is nowhere close to the power of a desktop processor

It's just as strong as a G3258 before you crank up the clocks.

It's a lot closer than many would like to admit

It's just as strong as a G3258 before you crank up the clocks.

not a really strong line up if your strongest cpu matches a 70 dollar pentium also working with an x86 processor is different than an arm processor

It's a lot closer than many would like to admit

not really. their architecture optimizes for different things. for the tegra is performance per watt for a desktop processor its raw power

no they need their experience making drivers for broken games and honestly ive had more trouble with nvidia drivers than amd drivers

from personal experience running Radeons for 14y, ATi/AMD have as much issues as the rest of them

let's not even forget their CPU overhead in DX not 12, they haven't got around fixing it

not a really strong line up if your strongest cpu matches a 70 dollar pentium also working with an x86 processor is different than an arm processor

The point is it was the first time anyone ever tried the design idea. Nvidia is potentially dangerous to Intel. Give it time. The next iteration building off of Denver will be out in 2016. And the Denver cores are tiny compared to Intel's Haswell cores for instance. The design is expandable.

RTG

Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator

Let's expect new AMD cards to have an iridum shell surronded by graphite and thermocouples.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

The point is it was the first time anyone ever tried the design idea. Nvidia is potentially dangerous to Intel. Give it time. The next iteration building off of Denver will be out in 2016. And the Denver cores are tiny compared to Intel's Haswell cores for instance. The design is expandable.

According to emulators.com, if memory serves, Denver shows the capability of being able to emulate or binary translate x86 code and operate as effectively as a native x86 processor. Current gen Intel performance? No... not yet. But, to have a processor that can virtualize so well on top of the native performance it has, makes it an interesting first step for a future CPU contender, with or without access to x86.

RTG is the new AMD that was the new ATI

they had the "A" thing going.... now its all messed up

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

According to emulators.com, if memory serves, Denver shows the capability of being able to emulate or binary translate x86 code and operate as effectively as a native x86 processor. Current gen Intel performance? No... not yet. But, to have a processor that can virtualize so well on top of the native performance it has, makes it an interesting first step for a future CPU contender, with or without access to x86.

If Nvidia paired up with the Global Foundries Fab that makes the Power 8 chips (22nm FF on FDSOI) and boosts the clocks to 4+GHz and puts the same amount of cache in play as Intel, you could have a truly close match. That's why I keep saying it would be a nightmare if Intel pushed Nvidia's accelerators out of HPC, because they'd no longer be in direct competition, leaving Nvidia wide open to a buyout by Intel, leaving AMD, IBM, and Oracle completely defenseless for different reasons. The purchase of Altera was already damaging enough.

From what i get from this, it just means that the engineers wont be spread so thin, and answering to a dozen departments. I don't see anywhere that AMD has given up on either GPU's or CPU's. Seeing as this group is still owned by AMD, and is still flying the AMD banner, it is still part of AMD's camp. What this means is that they will most likely have different R&D departments, and it also means that the engineers won't be double dipping anymore.

All in all, it's win-win either way. 

You didn't get the memo? Division of labor means your company is failing.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

You didn't get the memo? Division of labor means your company is failing.

That memo was written in Crayon, and covered in finger paint. I was unaware it was serious.

I will be sure to pay better attention next time  :wacko:

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Valve literally shit 1 mil a day.

In profit, probably about twice that, maybe three times. And Intel makes about 10 times as much again,

Not that I'm saying either would be a good or bad fit, but Intel makes much, much more money than Valve.

i want Fury X core in an APU

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

So nothing changed.

Nice.

Have you checked  how much Valve make - they stopped doing anything - steam is a cash cow like non other.

yes because they dont push almost daily updates on porting dota 2 to source 2. yep they did stopped doing anything. /s

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Back on topic, hopefully this means a huge win for consumers in getting release day drivers, game optimization and better product releases.

I dont think its restructuring from a debt perspective but more in lieu with propper business management experience from lisa.

Well, hello there ATI!  We meet again!

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

So ATI is getting back again... Hmm, AMD really needs to make their Arctic Islands GPUs be awesome to sustain until Zen and their CPU really needs to be impressive. 
Otherwise I wouldn't even know what to think about company if I worked there. Would be really sad.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |