Apple 2015 September event, iPad pro, Apple TV and iPhone 6S.

AlexGoesHigh

So what if they update the regular iPad to the same SoC? Would that remove the only reason why someone should get it? If that's the case then they are competing with themselves.

And really now... iOS and OS X are not used for the same things. It's not as simple as "use the one you like" because you just flat out can't do a lot of things on iOS. The things you can do you can also do on the regular iPad (which is about half the price). The things you can't do you NEED to use OS X or Windows (or some other desktop OS) to do.

The pro has a larger screen and more power. So if Apple made the normal iPad more powerful, then yes, it would hurt pro sales (imo). But the screen space is another factor that a power user might be willing to pay for.

And clearly Apple is trying to make iOS more than just a mobile OS -- just look at how they're trying to promote cad/other professional tools. So it won't be for everyone due to the limited number of professional apps, but if it happens to support the program's you use (I.e you match the target audience), then it has a place.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The pro has a larger screen and more power. So if Apple made the normal iPad more powerful, then yes, it would hurt pro sales (imo). But the screen space is another factor that a power user might be willing to pay for.

And clearly Apple is trying to make iOS more than just a mobile OS -- just look at how they're trying to promote cad/other professional tools. So it won't be for everyone due to the limited number of professional apps, but if it happens to support the program's you use (I.e you match the target audience), then it has a place.

This is a big thing were overlooking - software support

Apple demoed AUTOCAD and what looked like Illustrator. PRO GRADE SOFTWARE. That's huge. Where was AutoCAD for Windows RT or Android? Where is Illustrator or any CC grade app?

The pricing makes no sense but the software options aren't slim. Some people genuinely prefer the simplicity of iOS. That's fine. Now those who also work in a professional field can get a tablet that is just as simple for average, mundane daily use but now runs apps they need for work. That's a coup that even Microsoft didn't pull off for RT, and why RT went down the drain.

What if iOS becomes the first mobile environment to gain CPA approved accounting apps? Another huge win. iOS now has what seem like federally approved and validated medical apps and access to medical equipment data. Another win for iOS. Even the real time anatomy apps - students and even clinics love this kinda stuff.

Not for nothing, Apple isn't making a huge iPad and not giving compelling software behind it. Something Windows failed with on RT and something Android still fails with.

Honestly just glad to see Apple finally implemented something while it was still hot with the rest of the industry. I think this is the first announcement since Siri that I am actually excited for after swearing off Apple as a consumer. 6s and 6s+ actually look like good improvements while keeping the base iPhone 6 phone. Good job Apple, you didn't fuck up for once, imo. 

And then there was the iPencil. Yeah, that iPad Pro really is just an iPad Surface Pro. Except more expensive. And going to out-sell the MS SP3. Because Apple.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

So what if they update the regular iPad to the same SoC? Would that remove the only reason why someone should get it? If that's the case then they are competing with themselves.

And really now... iOS and OS X are not used for the same things. It's not as simple as "use the one you like" because you just flat out can't do a lot of things on iOS. The things you can do you can also do on the regular iPad (which is about half the price). The things you can't do you NEED to use OS X or Windows (or some other desktop OS) to do.

Don't you see what Apple's doing here. They're slowly going to expand iOS into something like Windows and Mac but not in the way you think it (where there is a desktop with icons, etc)

The iPad pro is beast machine for iOS outclassing some of the laptops too with the A9X chip and 4GB RAM. And with the kind of app support Apple's getting with this machine (ie Autocad, MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud) it's pretty obvious that Apple's slowly turning the pro into a workstation grade portable computer. You might laugh at this statement right now but it is what Apple's doing. And Apple being Apple they'll definitely be successful

One scenario I find the pro amazingly useful is for YouTubers to edit videos on it. Newer SD cards and cameras can transfer footages to the iPad wirelessly and the Pro can be used as an portable editing machine replacing the MacBooks that most people use these days as a portable machine. Yeah, it's not a coincidence that the pro can edit 3 simultaneous 4K videos

I know I'm talking about way in the future but I'm pretty sure this what Apple's planning. Slowly they'll start putting their A series chip on their MacBooks and eventually fuse OS X and iOS into one powerful OS unlike what MS did with Windows 8 

I understand then Apple Pencil but at that price point... and you guys know next year they'll have a newer model that even measures rotation and includes a taptic engine! ZOMG

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

This is a big thing were overlooking - software support

Apple demoed AUTOCAD and what looked like Illustrator. PRO GRADE SOFTWARE. That's huge. Where was AutoCAD for Windows RT or Android? Where is Illustrator or any CC grade app?

The pricing makes no sense but the software options aren't slim. Some people genuinely prefer the simplicity of iOS. That's fine. Now those who also work in a professional field can get a tablet that is just as simple for average, mundane daily use but now runs apps they need for work. That's a coup that even Microsoft didn't pull off for RT, and why RT went down the drain.

What if iOS becomes the first mobile environment to gain CPA approved accounting apps? Another huge win. iOS now has what seem like federally approved and validated medical apps and access to medical equipment data. Another win for iOS. Even the real time anatomy apps - students and even clinics love this kinda stuff.

Not for nothing, Apple isn't making a huge iPad and not giving compelling software behind it. Something Windows failed with on RT and something Android still fails with.

Except you know... The fact that the demos used cut down versions of AutoCAD and Adobe's software. Might be fine for some of the more casual users, but why settle for "casual user grade" software and hardware when you could get "professional grade" hardware and software for less money?

The iPad Pro seems to exist in some kind of awkward spot between "angry bird and facebook machine" and "I am going to use this for productivity", but it costs more than the latter category.

RT went down the drain for more reasons than just lack of Photoshop and AutoCAD. The entire OS and hardware selection was terrible. I am so glad it died.

Don't you see what Apple's doing here. They're slowly going to expand iOS into something like Windows and Mac but not in the way you think it (where there is a desktop with icons, etc)

The iPad pro is beast machine for iOS outclassing some of the laptops too with the A9X chip and 4GB RAM. And with the kind of app support Apple's getting with this machine (ie Autocad, MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud) it's pretty obvious that Apple's slowly turning the pro into a workstation grade portable computer. You might laugh at this statement right now but it is what Apple's doing. And Apple being Apple they'll definitely be successful

One scenario I find the pro amazingly useful is for YouTubers to edit videos on it. Newer SD cards and cameras can transfer footages to the iPad wirelessly and the Pro can be used as an portable editing machine replacing the MacBooks that most people use these days as a portable machine. Yeah, it's not a coincidence that the pro can edit 3 simultaneous 4K videos

I know I'm talking about way in the future but I'm pretty sure this what Apple's planning. Slowly they'll start putting their A series chip on their MacBooks and eventually fuse OS X and iOS into one powerful OS unlike what MS did with Windows 8 

[Citation Needed] on the A9X outclassing some laptops. If you mean it outclasses several generation old laptops that cost 1/2 the price then duhh... But please show me that it can outclass some current generation 1000 dollar laptops.

I find it hard to believe that people will edit YouTube videos on this. I mean, do you really think Linus would replace all the editors' workstations and their rendering server with iPads? Do you think people want to replace their Mac Pros with iPads? For casual users sure, but then we run into issue again of "there are better alternatives that cost less".

You might be correct about Apple fusing OS X and iOS in the future, but I am talking about today and today the iPad Pro seems like a terrible device compared to the competitors.

It will probably sell like hotcakes though, because it has an Apple logo on it.

I understand then Apple Pencil but at that price point... and you guys know next year they'll have a newer model that even measures rotation and includes a taptic engine! ZOMG

I don't get why they couldn't just have used the new "smart connector". It's mounted along the side so they could have just made the pen snap in place there, instead of poking out a light year from the tablet like an erect penis.

Microsoft had this figured out from generation 1.

SurfacePenmagnet.jpg

Have to admit I thought the Ipad pro was kinda nice but I agree too much money for what is essentially a bigger iPad. Give it another year and the normal sized Ipad will have the same internal specs as the Ipad Pro. The pencil should be included with the Pro, just apple been greedy If you ask me.

Oh and one more thing whats with apple been all quiet about the ram in their new devices?

Disclaimer: I don't care for any tech company all I care about is best bang for buck so no I'm not a fanboy of any kind. :D

Oh and one more thing whats with apple been all quiet about the ram in their new devices?

They're eluding to the fact that it's irrelevant -- i.e. you, as a consumer, shouldn't have to worry about it as they will design the OS/the device to effectively utilize whatever it has. 

I don't particularly like being kept in the dark about it (until a reviewer comes out with the information), but in the end actual performance is more important than specs. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They're eluding to the fact that it's irrelevant -- i.e. you, as a consumer, shouldn't have to worry about it as they will design the OS/the device to effectively utilize whatever it has. 

I don't particularly like being kept in the dark about it (until a reviewer comes out with the information), but in the end actual performance is more important than specs. 

Apple support said 2GB on the phones, Adobe accidentally said 4GB for the iPad Pro - we will find out soon anyways. 

IMHO 2GB is alright on the phones but the large tablet better not show up with anything under 3GB, otherwise you'll enjoy more "safari refreshing" issues, coupled with this screen being even more pixel filled and having more sophisticated apps to drive. 

I don't get why they couldn't just have used the new "smart connector". It's mounted along the side so they could have just made the pen snap in place there, instead of poking out a light year from the tablet like an erect penis.

SurfacePenmagnet.jpg

The only problem with that design is that you can't charge the Surface while you have the pen on it. That's probably why Microsoft moved the pen's mounting location to the keyboard on the Pro 3, which still isn't entirely ideal as it sticks out a bit from the device, but it's still much better than Apple's "solution".

The only problem with that design is that you can't charge the Surface while you have the pen on it. That's probably why Microsoft moved the pen's mounting location to the keyboard on the Pro 3, which still isn't entirely ideal as it sticks out a bit from the device, but it's still much better than Apple's "solution".

Well, you also can't charge the iPad Pro while you're charging the pencil. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That is also true.

That seems like quite the oversight. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That seems like quite the oversight. 

supposedly the pen charges very quickly -- 15 seconds of charge = 30 minutes of use. So if that's actually the case, then it's not really a big deal (that it prevents use of the charging port). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

supposedly the pen charges very quickly -- 15 seconds of charge = 30 minutes of use. So if that's actually the case, then it's not really a big deal (that it prevents use of the charging port). 

I did not realize that. If that is the case, you are correct, it's not as big of a deal. 

I was expecting something much more significant than that. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

SurfacePenmagnet.jpg

Except while on paper it's a good idea, in practice they did it wrong and still have it wrong on the Surface Pro 3. The pen will not stay on the side of the tablet while in motion.

Yes, I own one.

Linus even complained about this in his review.

Well saying that lets hope the rumor of the pro having 4gb of ram because at that price point anything lower than that is just plain greedy out and out. All they do is release nothing but small increments to boost profit margins.

But you can't charge the iPad with the pen attached either.

Except while on paper it's a good idea, in practice they did it wrong and still have it wrong on the Surface Pro 3. The pen will not stay on the side of the tablet while in motion.

Yes, I own one.

Linus even complained about this in his review.

Guess I'll just repeat what someone said when defending Apple earlier in the thread.

"You're an idiot if you walk around with your tablet while the pen is attached".

Jokes aside, it seems like Samsung has the best solution. Just store the pen inside the device. Can anyone tell me why some pens need batteries while others don't?

Guess I'll just repeat what someone said when defending Apple earlier in the thread.

"You're an idiot if you walk around with your tablet while the pen is attached".

Jokes aside, it seems like Samsung has the best solution. Just store the pen inside the device. Can anyone tell me why some pens need batteries while others don't?

When you use one without batteries, it relies on the detection of the screen calibration.

When you use one with batteries, the pen can also be calibrated, and also allows for the buttons to work since the pens are bluetooth.

When you use one without batteries, it relies on the detection of the screen calibration.

When you use one with batteries, the pen can also be calibrated, and also allows for the buttons to work since the pens are bluetooth.

Either you have a powered pen and rely all on the calibration it can in conjunction with the screen OR you somehow figure out how to steal Wacoms tech for their battery less pens that are the best in the business. 

So unless Apple goes Ocean 11s on Wacom, we need them batteries. 

But the pens used in the Note series got buttons and they don't need batteries. The tip of the pen is also responsible for the pressure sensitivity, not the screen (the pressure level is wirelessly transmitted from the pen to the device). Not sure how it works (maybe a small coil like NFC cards?).

Either you have a powered pen and rely all on the calibration it can in conjunction with the screen OR you somehow figure out how to steal Wacoms tech for their battery less pens that are the best in the business. 

Ah I see. So it's thanks to Wacom that Samsung can do the things they do.

I am surprised that Apple went with this solution since I doubt Wacom would turn them down. It's not like Apple is strapped for cash.

Well saying that lets hope the rumor of the pro having 4gb of ram because at that price point anything lower than that is just plain greedy out and out. All they do is release nothing but small increments to boost profit margins.

You say that like it makes them bad for trying to be a profitable business. If any other company could get away with it, then they would. The difference is that Apple spends the money (because they can -- because they have complete access to the software) tweaking and optimizing on the software end as to not require the same levels of hardware. From a business point of view, this is a much more advantageous approach (at least for Apple) as they can have complete control over software development, but far less control over hardware development (seeing as Apple has a lot of their components manufactured out of house).

How long does the Surface Pen take to charge? Is it long enough that it preventing the surface from charging is actually a big deal (whereas it's not really with the iPad Pro considering how quickly the pen charges?

The S-pen in the Galaxy Note (8) works perfectly....although I haven't used a surface/wacom tablet, so it may still suck by comparison. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

But the pens used in the Note series got buttons and they don't need batteries. The tip of the pen is also responsible for the pressure sensitivity, not the screen (the pressure level is wirelessly transmitted from the pen to the device). Not sure how it works (maybe a small coil like NFC cards?).

Right.

As for the buttons on the Note, I forget what it's called but it's a powerless solution similar to how RFID works (may even be RFID).

How long does the Surface Pen take to charge? Is it long enough that it preventing the surface from charging is actually a big deal (whereas it's not really with the iPad Pro considering how quickly the pen charges?

The Pen itself doesn't charge. It uses a AAAA battery.

It sticks to the side because of the magnets.