Apple 2015 September event, iPad pro, Apple TV and iPhone 6S.

AlexGoesHigh

How long does the Surface Pen take to charge? Is it long enough that it preventing the surface from charging is actually a big deal (whereas it's not really with the iPad Pro considering how quickly the pen charges?

Pretty sure it uses an AAA or AAAA battery. So it doesn't really have a recharge time since you swap the battery out.

Right.

As for the buttons on the Note, I forget what it's called but it's a powerless solution similar to how RFID works (may even be RFID).

I looked it up. The screen creates an electromagnetic field which gets picked up by a coil in the pen and then powers it. Very impressive.

note-2-s-pen-disassembled.jpg

Wikipedia

Wacom tablets use electromagnetic resonance technology.[34] Since the tablet provides power to the pen through resonant inductive coupling, no power is required for the pointing device. As a result, no batteries are inside the pen (or the accompanying puck), making them lighter and slimmer.

Under the tablet's surface (or LCD in the case of the Cintiq) is a printed circuit board with a grid of multiple send/receive coils and a magnetic reflector attached behind the grid. In send mode, the tablet generates a close-coupled electromagnetic field (also known as a B-field) at a frequency of 531 kHz. This close-coupled field stimulates oscillation in the pen's coil/capacitor (LC) circuit when brought into range of the B-field. Any excess resonant electromagnetic energy is reflected back to the tablet. In receive mode, the energy of the resonant circuit’s oscillations in the pen is detected by the tablet's grid. This information is analyzed by the computer to determine the pen's position, by interpolation and Fourier analysis of the signal intensity. In addition, the pen communicates information such as pen tip pressure, side-switch status, tip vs. eraser orientation and ID number (to differentiate between different pens, mice, etc.). For example, applying more or less pressure to the tip of the pen changes the value of the pen's timing circuit capacitor. This signal change can be communicated in an analog or digital method. An analog implementation modulates the phase angle of the resonant frequency, while a digital method is communicated to a modulator that distributes the information digitally. The tablet forwards this and other relevant tool information in packets, up to 200 times per second, to the computer.

The patent has expired as well, so why doesn't more companies use this? It seems like a much better solution than to put batteries in the stylus.

The patent has expired as well, so why doesn't more companies use this? It seems like a much better solution than to put batteries in the stylus.

that's an interesting bit, maybe the SP4 could launch with a new pen that uses this tech.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Pretty sure it uses an AAA or AAAA battery. So it doesn't really have a recharge time since you swap the battery out.

I looked it up. The screen creates an electromagnetic field which gets picked up by a coil in the pen and then powers it. Very impressive.

Wikipedia

Possibly a power limit, which limits what the pen can do? 

/I'm not sure if the Apple Pencil/Surface Pen can do more than the S-Pen....or what "more" would even mean. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Side note, I didn't even know a AAAA battery existed before I got my Surface 3. :P

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

You say that like it makes them bad for trying to be a profitable business. If any other company could get away with it, then they would. The difference is that Apple spends the money (because they can -- because they have complete access to the software) tweaking and optimizing on the software end as to not require the same levels of hardware. From a business point of view, this is a much more advantageous approach (at least for Apple) as they can have complete control over software development, but far less control over hardware development (seeing as Apple has a lot of their components manufactured out of house).

How long does the Surface Pen take to charge? Is it long enough that it preventing the surface from charging is actually a big deal (whereas it's not really with the iPad Pro considering how quickly the pen charges?

The S-pen in the Galaxy Note (8) works perfectly....although I haven't used a surface/wacom tablet, so it may still suck by comparison. 

If they are so good at tweaking and optimization why haven't they put a full OS on the IPad pro?.....My guess would be milk it for what its worth now and than throw a full OS in later and watch people be amazed.

Hand on heart what would you choose purely on specs the Surface 3 with all the accessories or the Ipad Pro with accessories?

If they are so good at tweaking and optimization why haven't they put a full OS on the IPad pro?.....My guess would be milk it for what its worth now and than throw a full OS in later and watch people be amazed.

Hand on heart what would you choose purely on specs the Surface 3 with all the accessories or the Ipad Pro with accessories?

They might have no intention to ever put a full OS on it, but rather simply add more functionality/apps to iOS.

I would go for the surface, but there's an important thing to understand, I WANT an actual file structure. I like being able to sort stuff in folders the way I want it sorted, not the way the program decides to. But some people don't want to be bothered with that and would just rather open up a program and have all the related files right there inside the program.

Look at the average person's computer, and you'd realize having programs sort files for people would be FAR superior to the crap file structure they set up themselves.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They might have no intention to ever put a full OS on it, but rather simply add more functionality/apps to iOS.

I would go for the surface, but there's an important thing to understand, I WANT an actual file structure. I like being able to sort stuff in folders the way I want it sorted, not the way the program decides to. But some people don't want to be bothered with that and would just rather open up a program and have all the related files right there inside the program.

Look at the average person's computer, and you'd realize having programs sort files for people would be FAR superior to the crap file structure they set up themselves.

Then essentially its just a run of the mill Ipad just bigger with a very generous price tag, nothing actually innovating? 

Because OS X isn't made for touch use. If it was optimized to do so you'd get iOS.

Then essentially its just a run of the mill Ipad just bigger with a very generous price tag, nothing actually innovating? 

apple hasn't been innovating for quite a while imo

A bigger iPad with a much more powerful cpu. 

apple hasn't been innovating for quite a while imo

I don't see force touch anywhere else (well implemented).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

A bigger iPad with a much more powerful cpu. 

I don't see force touch anywhere else (well implemented).

but but.. a phone from the 1880s had 3d touch.. Apple just copied them.

Did Apple say anything about what kind of apps the Apple TV would get? Is it a limited app store, or the full app store that's available for iOS already?

I guess a secondary question, is there a compelling reason to go for the new Apple TV over the old one? The differences I've been able to spot are: app store (which I guess won't be updated onto the old apple tv?), an A8 chip (irrelevant for my potential needs -- well, not mine, but someones), support for 7.1 audio, siri, and a new remote. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

IPad surface pro, yet another apple product out competed before it even hits the shelves. At least have an attachable KB ffs.

On another note, I'd like to see how this performs against a macbook.

- snip-

IPad surface pro, yet another apple product out competed before it even hits the shelves. At least have an attachable KB ffs.

On another note, I'd like to see how this performs against a macbook.

Yet another shitpost about a product he clearly doesn't know anything about. 

It has an attachable keyboard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yet another shitpost about a product he clearly doesn't know anything about.

It has an attachable keyboard.

I made that post before I read the post about the keyboard. That costs $170. After KB and pen it costs $1070. For that you can get a lenovo yoga pro 3 which vastly outperforms this as a device. Yet another person calling shitpost and assuming that the quoted doesn't know anything.

- snip-

also that live photo existed on S3 like 3 years ago i think. 

aDm8zMO_700b.jpg

also 

11953277_10153996111331840_5848755659937

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

also that live photo existed on S3 like 3 years ago i think.

aDm8zMO_700b.jpg

Apples "me too" features are seen as "so new" because Apple markets. They integrate. They actually push their stuff out to as many people as possible.

Nothing in this iPhone is new except for 3D Touch. 3D Touch isn't the shitty haptics from Windows and Androids of old. It's far more complex and far more useful, and with Apple it's getting proper systemwide APIs for developers to actually use.

Apple rarely invents. They innovate. They take what others are content in listing as a spec and actually doing something useful with it.

Did Apple say anything about what kind of apps the Apple TV would get? Is it a limited app store, or the full app store that's available for iOS already?

I guess a secondary question, is there a compelling reason to go for the new Apple TV over the old one? The differences I've been able to spot are: app store (which I guess won't be updated onto the old apple tv?), an A8 chip (irrelevant for my potential needs -- well, not mine, but someones), support for 7.1 audio, siri, and a new remote. 

The app store is exclusive to the new Apple TV, and the kinds of applications that the Apple TV will get are upd to the development community. It's essentially the same kind of system that the iPhone and iPad have. The applications are exclusive to the Apple TV, and iPhone and iPad apps will not be available. Developers are being provided tools to help port over existing iPhone and iPad apps, which supposedly will make it fairly trivial.

The A8 chip may seem inconsequential at this time, but over time it will be useful to developers. It may not suit your needs, or the person you have in mind's needs, but it is something that will add quite a bit of functionality to the device. If what the Roku/Fire TV currently provides fulfills your needs, and you don't want anything else displayed on your TV other than Amazon/HBO Now/Showtime/Netflix/Hulu (etc.), then its probably not worth the price premium overall. The differentiating factor between those and the Apple TV will be which has the better universal search.

I made that post before I read the post about the keyboard. That costs $170. After KB and pen it costs $1070. For that you can get a lenovo yoga pro 3 which vastly outperforms this as a device. Yet another person calling shitpost and assuming that the quoted doesn't know anything.

Posting claims before researching the validity, because you don't like the manufacturer is essentially a shit post. You claimed it didn't have a keyboard, when it in fact does. The Yoga Pro 3 does not offer the same overall experience as the iPad Pro will, and in some cases the extra power doesn't make up for the overall simplicity of the device. The slim laptop may fit someone's use case better than the iPad Pro, and vice versa. The market will decide, and no its not blind Apple fanboyism. People like Apple products, because they just work. I've owned 2 iPhones and 2 Android phones, and both times I've owned an Android phone I have been thoroughly disappointed (as have most people I know who've switched from iPhone to Android).

The keyboard is also not the only keyboard that will work with the iPad Pro, so not all options will be at the premium pricing of $170. I wouldn't buy the keyboard or the iPad Pro, but I might for my parents who don't need the full fledged functionality of a laptop, and in many cases it makes it harder because they aren't tech savvy. That's a statement that's also true of many executives/business people that wouldn't scoff at the premium pricing.

The app store is exclusive to the new Apple TV, and the kinds of applications that the Apple TV will get are upd to the development community. It's essentially the same kind of system that the iPhone and iPad have. The applications are exclusive to the Apple TV, and iPhone and iPad apps will not be available. Developers are being provided tools to help port over existing iPhone and iPad apps, which supposedly will make it fairly trivial.

The A8 chip may seem inconsequential at this time, but over time it will be useful to developers. It may not suit your needs, or the person you have in mind's needs, but it is something that will add quite a bit of functionality to the device. If what the Roku/Fire TV currently provides fulfills your needs, and you don't want anything else displayed on your TV other than Amazon/HBO Now/Showtime/Netflix/Hulu (etc.), then its probably not worth the price premium overall. The differentiating factor between those and the Apple TV will be which has the better universal search.

Posting claims before researching the validity, because you don't like the manufacturer is essentially a shit post. You claimed it didn't have a keyboard, when it in fact does. The Yoga Pro 3 does not offer the same overall experience as the iPad Pro will, and in some cases the extra power doesn't make up for the overall simplicity of the device. The slim laptop may fit someone's use case better than the iPad Pro, and vice versa. The market will decide, and no its not blind Apple fanboyism. People like Apple products, because they just work. I've owned 2 iPhones and 2 Android phones, and both times I've owned an Android phone I have been thoroughly disappointed (as have most people I know who've switched from iPhone to Android).

The keyboard is also not the only keyboard that will work with the iPad Pro, so not all options will be at the premium pricing of $170. I wouldn't buy the keyboard or the iPad Pro, but I might for my parents who don't need the full fledged functionality of a laptop, and in many cases it makes it harder because they aren't tech savvy. That's a statement that's also true of many executives/business people that wouldn't scoff at the premium pricing.

Alright, that's what I thought. And I know the A8 serves a purpose, just not to me.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wonder how iPhone 6 and 6+ cases are affected from the new thicker design.

Most cases will probably be fine, the ones that are likely to have issues are the extremely tight fitting ones.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wonder how iPhone 6 and 6+ cases are affected from the new thicker design.

Most will be fine, as their tolerances are amusingly bad for case specs. Leather cases, TPU - whatever. You're okay.

The thin ones? I'd hold off till someone tests. I have a Air Skin from Spigen so that's not going to work on the new one. Battery cases might also be problematic. Anything hard really.

Also, for all the spec warriors who absolutely need specs on everything - iPhones both have 2GB and iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM. Enjoy. I know I can now sleep soundly at night.

Most will be fine, as their tolerances are amusingly bad for case specs. Leather cases, TPU - whatever. You're okay.

The thin ones? I'd hold off till someone tests. I have a Air Skin from Spigen so that's not going to work on the new one. Battery cases might also be problematic. Anything hard really.

Also, for all the spec warriors who absolutely need specs on everything - iPhones both have 2GB and iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM. Enjoy. I know I can now sleep soundly at night.

Source? 

/Also, I'm looking for a 6s+ case, any opinions on: (I'm looking for something which offers a bit of protection while not making the phone much bigger. 

My favorite in terms of looks >Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal (assuming it fits...by the looks of their site it does not) 

>Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon 

the one I'm leaning towards now >Incipio Dual Pro 

>Griffin Survivor Journey 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Source? 

/Also, I'm looking for a 6s+ case, any opinions on: (I'm looking for something which offers a bit of protection while not making the phone much bigger. 

My favorite in terms of looks >Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal (assuming it fits...by the looks of their site it does not) 

>Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon 

the one I'm leaning towards now >Incipio Dual Pro 

>Griffin Survivor Journey 

https://twitter.com/hamzasood/status/643092816315445248/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Honestly? Just get the Apple Leather cases. Not overpriced, worth every penny. The one from my 5S STILL is together and I suspect that my current midnight blue one will last for at least a few more years. They're just awesome, and they age wonderfully (especially if you get the brown ones, my god those get nice aging) 

https://twitter.com/hamzasood/status/643092816315445248/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Honestly? Just get the Apple Leather cases. Not overpriced, worth every penny. The one from my 5S STILL is together and I suspect that my current midnight blue one will last for at least a few more years. They're just awesome, and they age wonderfully (especially if you get the brown ones, my god those get nice aging) 

Eh, for $50 it's not really that cheap.

Right now I've deciding between the: 

Spigen Neo Hybrid Carbon ($24) 

Spigen Slim Armor ($18) 

Incipio dual pro ($11) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler