Jurasic world becoming reality but for Mammoths.

jos
k455qcufzzdwzmzhszd4.jpg
Efforts to clone ancient animals are already being conducted by scientists worldwide, including at Harvard and the University of Chicago. The Russian scientists believe they have an upper hand because of the quality of specimens that had been frozen and preserved in the Siberian permafrost.

Scientists hope that once extracted, the DNA would be cross-linked with a modern elephant to give birth to an animal that resembles a prehistoric mammoth, according to RT.com. Crossing the genes of different animals has already been done on a smaller scale. For example zebra fish and jellyfish have already been successfully cross-linked to make glowing fish, so theoretically it's possible with extinct mammoths, according to livescience.com.

Of course, this kind of research is expensive. The Russian researchers have teamed up with Korean biotech firm Sooam and the Beijing Genomics Institute in China which are backing the project.

Next bring all the destroyed forest back.. Then i will be happy

Wasn't this news from a month or something ago?  :lol:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Already knew about this a long time ago lol... anyone else?

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Gogogo team science!

Hopefully the mammot/elephant hybrid(if succesfilly cloned) have a auto imune system that allows them to survive, because in the time they where gone viruses wheren't sleeping.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This is not really a new thing.... many researchers are working on this (bring back extinct creatures... including mammoths), but for political/ethical reasons have never gone through with a clone/cross between a mammoth and elephant... but I can see this actually progressing because it's Chinese backed...

The website has dated the news today

Well I mean like.. This:

I think this was news from when Jurassic World just came out/just after that. I remember it still. About how they will use DNA from mammoths and use Elephants to give birth to mammoths 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

But we haven't even been successful with crossing an African and Asian elephant. The only successful birth died shortly after.

Well I suppose this DNA cross-linking thing is totally different.

they just better not bring back some ancient disease that we have no way of countering

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I saw the news reported in a Romanian site a week ago, and that was probably late as well :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

they just better not bring back some ancient disease that we have no way of countering

They do discover viruses in ice.

This is long ongoing research true. I have an old VHS about mammoth and their dna and cloning. No wonder it costs so much :I

Better mammoths that meat eating dinos :D

How would this bring back an ancient disease? That would have to come from a form of bacteria or virus.

Yep, me too, a couple years ago even. Are they "starting", per-se?

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Interesting yet terrifying all at the same time. You never really know what's going to happen once you start tinkering with this kind of stuff.

It'd be cool to see it start. I'd watch videos. But I'd never visit the park.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It wouldn't know how to behave like a mammoth though. Because it's a social animal and it doesn't have a herd to grow up in.

tumblr_moks5gh6OH1qjjhbco2_250.gif

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Heard this news many times the past 5 years, believe it when I see it.

Where's the money gonna come from? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Now bring back New Zealands Haast Eagles, the largest Eagle to have ever existed.  That will be interesting.  Bring back a few thousand, and let them go about carrying Human children off to their nests just like the olden days!  I love science.

Nothing like waking from apparent extinction to be thrown in a cage for study/experimentation. (or a zoo, same thing)

As much as I like the idea of bringing extinct species back, I fear for the welfare of such animals at the hands of humankind in it's current state.

Nothing like waking from apparent extinction to be thrown in a cage for study/experimentation. (or a zoo, same thing)

As much as I like the idea of bringing extinct species back, I fear for the welfare of such animals at the hands of humankind in it's current state.

"waking from extinction" Its not like the mammoth would have any memory telling it it was extinct for thousands of years. no it would be a normal "elephant" individual, and studying animals happens all the time and is completly accepted, since it does not disturb them

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They're planning on planting over 1 trillion trees, so i think that's progress, considering that's = 1/3rd of current tree population (3-4trillion on the planet atm)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------