I don't understand folding. Why don't you guys donate real money if you want to help?

1) Assuming you are an adult and pay for your own electricity bills, why not donate the money straight to charity?

2) Assuming you are a kid/teen and your parents pay for your electricity bills, I think it's not fair to do that without your parents knowledge.

3) Assuming you are a student and your electricity is included and unlimited in the rent you pay, do you think they won't notice the difference with other students?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Its not about the money, its about computing power.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

because money is not what they need, they need calculations

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

1) because the calculation itself is more important than the money.

2) ugh, haven't seen many kids/teens interested in proper folding

3) they pay electricity from the school/university/whatever funds, which are more often than not national funds so yeah (talking about dorm rooms and such)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1) because doing something yourself is more rewarding.

2) if your parents are human beings (mine arent) they understand its something for a greater cause, and will appreciate their offspring to do something good for mankind.

3) if your electricity is unlimited, its unlimited ;)

1) because of dat badge though. (and just helping out, money doesn't always help with these greedy bastards running those charities)

2) you can't tell me what to do MOM

3) would they care??

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

because money is not what they need, they need calculations

Just that.

If they wanted money, they would have asked, they need computing power and chances are that your PC has quite a bit of idle time that could be used. :)

Can you calculate the simulation of nutrition folding using an electric dollar bill?

No.

Money > Server > Much cheaper for calculation then consumer grade PC's.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Money > Server > Much cheaper for calculation then consumer grade PC's.

more people are willing to download and run a program, rather then paying money direct.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Just that.

If they wanted money, they would have asked, they need computing power and chances are that your PC has quite a bit of idle time that could be used. :)

They are asking for money.. and you guys just waste your money on useless simulations instead of real cancer research....

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

more people are willing to download and run a program, rather then paying money direct.

Because you are 14 years old (according to your signature), and don't pay for electricity ?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I can't be the only one who has no idea what the F this is surely?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

They are asking for money.. and you guys just waste your money on useless simulations instead of real cancer research....

What makes you think it's useless? Well this way, with us folding, it doesn't cost them a dime. And servers cost A LOT, rent space, internet link, maintenance, power bills...

This...is real cancer research....

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Let's not feed the troll

1gjdAX7.gif

Move along

You are the only troll doing it for fake internet points:

http://www.kwf.nl/english/pages/default.aspx

The Dutch Cancer Society(DCS) is determined to beat cancer as soon as possible. That’s why we fund and guide scientific research, influence policy, and share our knowledge about cancer and its treatment. We encourage our stakeholders and the public to do everything possible to help bring about the day when no-one else has to die of cancer. We’re getting there together.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

If they didn't want people helping them by using Folding, do you think they'd have gone through the trouble of setting it up and everything?

I really don't see what you problem is here.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Because researchers need computing power, and this way they don't have to invest huge amounts of money in a supercomputer and the cost to maintain it. This is more efficient and each dollar you pay goes a longer way. You already have the hardware, and you already maintain it, the only cost is electricity.

Besides all this, folding actually doesn't kill your power bill despite what you may think, especially if you have an efficient PSU. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Because people here like to be altruistic in a more practical, technical way than just going out and saying "shut up and take my money" to some render farm owner whose machines are already cranking out calcs at full tilt.

And I don't think you understand the scope of the Folding base. All the computers doing it combined are surely easily worth several render farms or supercomputers, but have none of the insane maintenance costs that those servers do. Normal computers do not require nearly as much upkeep as supercomputers. These are just a couple of the advantages of crowdsourcing.

Besides all this, folding actually doesn't kill your power bill despite what you may think, especially if you have an efficient PSU. 

Assuming I have a overclocked 95W and both heavily overclocked 980Ti I think it's about 400-500W/hour so 10 cent/hour, means 50€/month.

Cancer wouldn't even exist if everybody in this world donated 50€ a YEAR.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU