I don't understand folding. Why don't you guys donate real money if you want to help?

Please fucking do, this is going nowhere with this stonewalling little shit.

Thanks for insulting me bro for asking a serious question...

Lost all faith in humanity.

3cd8a33a.png

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

can i ask you a question. what is the serious question you keep talking about?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Here you are again, being a plain and simple hypocrite and contradicting yourself, whilst insulting everyone else's opinions, you obviously don't like it when other people insult yours. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Did you forgot paying the electricity while that same money could go to charity?

Are you a broken record or...? Electricity is quite cheap in some places and technology is getting more and more efficient these days.

i'm a potato

can i ask you a question. what is the serious question you keep talking about?

Read the OP and title.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Are you a broken record or...? Electricity is quite cheap in some places and technology is getting more and more efficient these days.

If you live in Russia where gas is abundance and maybe 1 eurocent/kwh maybe.

It's 20-25 cents/kwh here.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

k den, this discussion is going nowhere..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Here you are again, being a plain and simple hypocrite and contradicting yourself, whilst insulting everyone else's opinions, you obviously don't like it when other people insult yours. 

Please show me the comment where I was "Insulting" somebody.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

k den, this discussion is going nowhere..

Yep, i think LTT is not the place for a serious discussion. This is worst then a Reddit graveyard comment section.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Money > Server > Much cheaper for calculation then consumer grade PC's.

Not cheaper if you're not paying for it.

People with the PCs pay for it, the researchers just benefit.

If the researchers had to pay for all the electricity then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they don't.

Also, do you have any idea how many servers you'd need to match the computing power of all the PC's folding?

Not cheaper if you're not paying for it.

People with the PCs pay for it, the researchers just benefit.

If the researchers had to pay for all the electricity then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they don't.

Also, do you have any idea how many servers you'd need to match the computing power of all the PC's folding?

I'm pretty sure that a server would be more efficient, why do they even exist then?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I'm pretty sure that a server would be more efficient, why do they even exist then?

see below

Well, actually no. Folding@home ALONE boasts a computing power of 30 petaflops with 171 000 participants. Assuming all of those people have 2000 dollar computers (which is probably not the case), the total cost of the hardware would be in the ballpark of $340 million.

The fastest supercomputer in existence - the Chinese Tianhe 2 has a computing speed of 33,8 petaflops and costs $390 million.

Admittedly, the aggregate electric bill of 171 000 high-end rigs will most likely exceed that of Tianhe, which consumes 24 megawatts of power. 

But still, you tell me which is more prudent from a consumer's/donator's standpoint - giving 2000 dollars to charity, followed by small 10-15 dollar installments every month, while keeping your fingers crossed that you've picked the right charity that will not just steal the money and buy a house on the Bahamas, or buying a nice 2000 dollar rig, using it for gaming, rendering or whatever purpose floats your boat and ALSO using it for cloud computing in your spare time?

i'm a potato

Please show me the comment where I was "Insulting" somebody.

you just now said "I don't want to live on this planet anymore". 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

@colonel_mortis can you do us a favor and lock the topic, this guy is plain and simple insulting the CoC and insulting the forums members. 

@colonel_mortis can you do us a favor and lock the topic, this guy is plain and simple insulting the CoC and insulting the forums members. 

Can you explain me how this is not an insult?

KemoKa, on 26 Aug 2015 - 2:40 PM, said:

If so, then fuck off.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Already reported the thread for turning into a flamewar, mods should lock it any moment now

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Already reported the thread for turning into a flamewar, mods should lock it any moment now

Yep a flameware because people can't structure thier opinions on a serious question...

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I think this thread has gone far enough. If someone decides that they are going to help research the folding of proteins (which can help with cancer but also help with a lot of other diseases as well), that is far better than what a lot of people do (aka nothing or very little). Whether it is the best thing that they could do may be debatable, but the research that they are helping with is important, and someone has to do it.

HTTP/2 203