I don't understand folding. Why don't you guys donate real money if you want to help?

Because you are 14 years old (according to your signature), and don't pay for electricity ?

i am 14, but i do it on behalf of everyone in the house, we dont pay charities, because you cant be sure if the money reaches that, wereas folding is a great way.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Money > Server > Much cheaper for calculation then consumer grade PC's.

LOL NOPE! Do you have any idea how expensive a server farm with the same power as F@H or BOINC would cost?

i'm a potato

Because people here like to be altruistic in a more practical, technical way than just going out and saying "shut up and take my money" to some render farm owner whose machines are already cranking out calcs at full tilt.

And I don't think you understand the scope of the Folding base. All the computers doing it combined are surely easily worth several render farms or supercomputers, but have none of the insane maintenance costs that those servers do. Normal computers do not require nearly as much upkeep as supercomputers. These are just a couple of the advantages of crowdsourcing.

- Electricity bill

- Degrading hardware. I don't care what you say, normal GPU or motherboard is NOT server grade stuff that is designed to run 24/7

- Heat output in the room. I bet some of you even have AC on. Yeah, research for cancer but destroy the environment while doing that, nice balance!

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

because you cant be sure if the money reaches that, wereas folding is a great way.

Maybe in a corrupt country... yeahh...

You know there are researches on what charities do with their money?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Cancer wouldn't even exist if everybody in this world donated 50€ a YEAR.

funny joke.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

LOL NOPE! Do you have any idea how expensive a server farm with the same power as F@H or BOINC would cost?

It's not only calculation there are other research that needs to be done.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

troll confirmed

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You get more satisfaction from this.

I get satisfaction when I know I'm helping somebody with cancer, not getting some fake internet points or badges.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

troll confirmed

When this guy rings your doorbell I bet you don't even open the door:

900605458.jpg

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Maybe in a corrupt country... yeahh...

You know there are researches on what charities do with their money?

i live in the UK and we get many scammers. also i believe charities have to pay tax, which i find outrageous. yes i do know some money reaches the charities, but i refuse to line the pockets of the uk government when it should really go TAX FREE to the people who need it!!! i think you are completely missing the point of folding.... 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Assuming I have a overclocked 95W and both heavily overclocked 980Ti I think it's about 400-500W/hour so 10 cent/hour, means 50€/month.

In folding you could probably just run your CPU, sometimes that even works better when you're using a decent one. You're also assuming that all of those components would be running at 100% the whole time, which is not realistic at all. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

i live in the UK and we get many scammers. also i believe charities have to pay tax, which i find outrageous. yes i do know some money reaches the charities, but i refuse to line the pockets of the uk government when it should really go TAX FREE to the people who need it!!! i think you are completely missing the point of folding.... 

This was meant to be a serious thread.

ALL IS SEE IS KEYBOARD WARRIORS&TROLLS without any arguments

Even if the government receives taxes, they help out charities or countries in need in the end too.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It's not only calculation there are other research that needs to be done.

It's not only calculations but they are very useful. Besides, who are you to assume that people that participate in distributed computing projects don't donate to charities?

i'm a potato

- Electricity bill

- Degrading hardware. I don't care what you say, normal GPU or motherboard is NOT server grade stuff that is designed to run 24/7

- Heat output in the room. I bet some of you even have AC on. Yeah, research for cancer but destroy the environment while doing that, nice balance!

Come on dude, did you come here with a genuine question or just the intent of throwing down every valid answer we can come up with for you?

If so, then fuck off.

Come on dude, did you come here with a genuine question or just the intent of throwing down every valid answer we can come up with for you?

If so, then fuck off.

Because it seems you guys can't handle a real serious question...

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Even if the government receives taxes, they help out charities or countries in need in the end too.

The only 'keyboard warrior' I see here is you, creating pointless arguments on the internet to fuel your own satisfaction and opinions. 

You force your opinions on others with no real regard for other peoples opinions or evidence.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

When this guy rings your doorbell I bet you don't even open the door:

1. I do give to them. I give to organisations that have to do with: all sorts of cancers, other terminal diseases and that's about it.

2. you can't make me feel bad because of saying that.

3. the Dutch government also gives money to these organisations, so indirectly I already give

4. I don't trust these sort of organisations anymore.. with all these heads of these organisations just taking money from it.. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Money > Server > Much cheaper for calculation then consumer grade PC's.

Well, actually no. Folding@home ALONE boasts a computing power of 30 petaflops with 171 000 participants. Assuming all of those people have 2000 dollar computers (which is probably not the case), the total cost of the hardware would be in the ballpark of $340 million.

The fastest supercomputer in existence - the Chinese Tianhe 2 has a computing speed of 33,8 petaflops and costs $390 million.

Admittedly, the aggregate electric bill of 171 000 high-end rigs will undoubtedly exceed that of Tianhe, which consumes 24 megawatts of power. 

But still, you tell me which is more prudent from a consumer's/donator's standpoint - giving 2000 dollars to charity, followed by small 10-15 dollar installments every month, while keeping your fingers crossed that you've picked the right charity that will not just steal the money and buy a fleet of private jets and a house on the Bahamas, or buying a nice 2000 dollar rig, using it for gaming, rendering or whatever purpose floats your boat and ALSO using it for cloud computing in your spare time?

there is only one keyboard warrior without any arguments and its you.

yes if the government receives taxes and helps out other charities, thats okay. but i didnt choose to help them charities did i? folding is cheap and has an impact on the medical industry.

What in your eyes is wrong with folding?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Well, actually no. Folding@home ALONE boasts a computing power of 30 petaflops with 171 000 participants. Assuming all of those people have 2000 dollar computers (which is probably not the case), the total cost of the hardware would be in the ballpark of $340 million.

The fastest supercomputer in existence - the Chinese Tianhe 2 has a computing speed of 33,8 petaflops and costs $390 million.

So which would you say is cheaper and more convenient to do - giving 2000 dollars to charity or buying a nice 2000 dollar rig, using for gaming, rendering or whatever purpose floats your boat and ALSO using it for cloud computing in your spare time?

Did you forgot paying the electricity while that same money could go to charity?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It's not only calculations but they are very useful. Besides, who are you to assume that people that participate in distributed computing projects don't donate to charities?

Basically this.

Folding is by Stanford University, I beleive

And they give you three choices to help in their cause

Donate Money, but I think its only directly when I talked to one of the professors I visited (since I'm trying to go there)

Fold@home, which means anyone around the world can contribute to their new research

Or actually join their feeding and research programs all around the world (Senegal, Laos, Congo, etc;)

For the love of god can a mod PLEASE lock this thread.

Please fucking do, this is going nowhere with this stonewalling little shit.

Please fucking do, this is going nowhere with this stonewalling little shit.

Someone @ a mod.