Australia to get faster mobile internet.

Telstra is set to upgrade its mobile network to what they call "category 9" LTE.  We are being promised faster internet with the Galaxy note 5 and S6 edge to be the first phones to take advantage.

888537-8b4010bc-4239-11e5-895e-ea44465fe

This uses the full potential of a chunk of wireless mobile spectrum (the invisible radio waves that transmit data) and theoretically deliver a maximum speed of 150 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 50Mbps upload. In reality, download speeds are about 50Mbps and upload is about 35Mbps.

Personally:  While I seriously don't think we need the speed upgrade for mobile (if we see it in the real world that is), we certainly do need the tech to help reduce congestion as future growth looks set to rise.  I know many who are now only using a mobile connection and don't even bother with a land line.  My only concern is that the cost of mobile services will probably rise to pay for it with rural and country areas getting  the raw end of the deal,  as always,  they will be lumped into paying the premium also but not able to enjoy the new tech until well after it has been rolled out in the cities.   

tomato sauce:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/samsungs-galaxy-note-5-will-be-first-phone-to-support-telstras-category-9-lte/story-fn6vihic-1227483888565

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Something to do with kangaroos and utilizing their pouches?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Something to do with kangaroos and utilizing their pouches?

Contrary to popular belief, Kangaroos have little to do with our internet.  In fact it is the EMU that makes up the backbone of our ITC infrastructure.  They can run faster.  We use Kangaroos for our data servers because when an EMU delivers a file request the kangaroo's can HOP to it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Telstra is set to upgrade its mobile network to what they call "category 9" LTE.  We are being promised faster internet with the Galaxy note 5 and S6 edge to be the first phones to take advantage.

888537-8b4010bc-4239-11e5-895e-ea44465fe

Personally:  While I seriously don't think we need the speed upgrade for mobile (if we see it in the real world that is), we certainly do need the tech to help reduce congestion as future growth looks set to rise.  I know many who are now only using a mobile connection and don't even bother with a land line.  My only concern is that the cost of mobile services will probably rise to pay for it with rural and country areas getting  the raw end of the deal,  as always,  they will be lumped into paying the premium also but not able to enjoy the new tech until well after it has been rolled out in the cities.   

tomato sauce:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/samsungs-galaxy-note-5-will-be-first-phone-to-support-telstras-category-9-lte/story-fn6vihic-1227483888565

IMO they can keep this whole fast mobile data technology behind.

I'd rather see every house in Australia have a minimum of 30MBps and a ping no higher of 50-60ms..

I'm not one of those people, my internet connection is more than enough at home, although I feel sorry for all the people barely coping with ADSL2+ and 5MBps and 200 ping.

Makes me disappoint.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

oh for gods sake why is our mobile internet faster than our home internet, like seriously, how????

I don't have enough data to utilize faster mobile anyways.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

To think that I was offered to move to 'straya and I refused because of the crap I would have had to deal with when it came to internet speeds...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Thats cute... I've been getting 80mbit from Optus since December on 4G.... CAT9 LTE is being installed in my Suburb by the end of next month which means even faster speeds... (Apparently these 200mbit/s)

TL;DR Telstras 4GX is actually just standard 4G because their initial infrastructure was substandard... 

Edit: The article says 4GX, what Telstra is upgrading to is about 150mbit max speed, but the new tech, cat9 lte is apparently NOT being used for Telstra yet? what...

The next phase of 4G technology was LTE Category 6, which is often branded by Telstra as 4GX.
Now with the LTE Category 9, three different mobile spectrums are welded together, meaning theoretical maximum download speeds of 450Mbps and uploads of about 75Mbps. Expect to see real world speeds of an insane 200Mbps. This means you could download an HD movie in less than seven seconds.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

oh for gods sake why is our mobile internet faster than our home internet, like seriously, how????

It is, and it is because Telstra and especially Optus don't give 2 fucks.

IMO they can keep this whole fast mobile data technology behind.

I'd rather see every house in Australia have a minimum of 30MBps and a ping no higher of 50-60ms..

I'm not one of those people, my internet connection is more than enough at home, although I feel sorry for all the people barely coping with ADSL2+ and 5MBps and 200 ping.

Makes me disappoint.

Unfortunately one of the reasons landlines are shit and haven't moved forward in the last 4 years is because the NBN has been hanging over our heads so telstra (and the other telcos) have been reluctant to invest in a dead infrastructure (copper).

Also we have more people on mobile internet plans than land line connections.  So that's where business is going to invest.

To think that I was offered to move to 'straya and I refused because of the crap I would have had to deal with when it came to internet speeds...

But Straya, we're freaking awesome.  Even without internet I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Horray, another advance in mobile speed in Australia.... which I will probably continue to turn off given the cost of mobile data....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

But Straya, we're freaking awesome.  Even without internet I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

TBH the fact that basically everything down there is out to kill ya didn't even bother me. It was literally the bad internet and retarded censorship that put me off... 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Also we have more people on mobile internet plans than land line connections.  So that's where business is going to invest.

I'd be surprised if this isn't the case pretty much everywhere around the world. People only typically by one fixed line connection per building, buildings that are usually shared by more than one person. But everyone has a phone or tablet.

I'd be surprised if this isn't the case pretty much everywhere around the world. People only typically by one fixed line connection per building, buildings that are usually shared by more than one person. But everyone has a phone or tablet.

That could well be the case,  and I would be surprised if it wasn't.  I do know quite a few people who don;t have a land line at all anymore, especially in built up areas where mobile is good.

Why not welcome a speed upgrade?  Advancement is advancement, right?  What companies really need to work on in tandem with speed is bandwidth capacity.  At those rated speeds, a person could chew through their data limit rather quickly.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I'd like to take this moment to thank supreme overlord of Australia... His highness, Rupert Murdoch.

Really don't give a flying frak about mobile speed. On the list of things that should have resources allocated to them: Meh

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Why not welcome a speed upgrade?  Advancement is advancement, right?  What companies really need to work on in tandem with speed is bandwidth capacity.  At those rated speeds, a person could chew through their data limit rather quickly.

I kinda do, but we really don't need it right now,  maintaining the current speed with more users is going to provide better service and coverage longer term, Which this should do anyway.  

That could well be the case,  and I would be surprised if it wasn't.  I do know quite a few people who don;t have a land line at all anymore, especially in built up areas where mobile is good.

Well the ABS has a shiny little animated timeline showing the proportion of subscribers to a internet plan by type. This is what it shows:

2006: Dial-up is the most common type, was clearly above 50% a few years earlier. Is at this point falling

2007: xDSL goes above 50%, remains above 50% until 2009

2009: Cable/Fibre takes over dial-up. Dial-up is now the least subscribed to tech "category"

2011: Mobile overtakes xDSL, xDSL is now second

2013: Mobile breifly goes above 50%, dial-up is basically non-existent

2014: Cable/Fiber starts to climb, enough for mobile to drop to 47% of subs

You get virtually no data, pay exorbitant amounts for it; and there's only capacity for about 1 person per cell tower.

3G is faster than my dsl #straya

4G soon to be faster than my fiber #straya

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

aaaaannnnnnndddd.......DATA CAPS.

I feel sorry for Australia. Even with my shitty US internet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I kinda do, but we really don't need it right now,  maintaining the current speed with more users is going to provide better service and coverage longer term, Which this should do anyway.  

OT: but congrats on 10k posts.

This is great and all, but like a few people said: data caps.

4g was supposed to give us all high speed access to the internet no matter where we are. Then the big companies got greedy and limited us to 2 gigs unless we wanted to get charged an arm and a leg for an additional Gigabyte. It got to the point where people are concerned about autoplaying video ads on pages because that'll suck up their data cap (and one of the reasons adblock can be effective, as evidenced by that 10+ page thread)

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

OT: but congrats on 10k posts.

This is great and all, but like a few people said: data caps.

4g was supposed to give us all high speed access to the internet no matter where we are. Then the big companies got greedy and limited us to 2 gigs unless we wanted to get charged an arm and a leg for an additional Gigabyte. It got to the point where people are concerned about autoplaying video ads on pages because that'll suck up their data cap (and one of the reasons adblock can be effective, as evidenced by that 10+ page thread)

Thanks.

This is why I said we don't really need the speed.    

Unfortunately one of the reasons landlines are shit and haven't moved forward in the last 4 years is because the NBN has been hanging over our heads so telstra (and the other telcos) have been reluctant to invest in a dead infrastructure (copper).

I know you said one of the reason's but seriously we both know it's because they never did care or invest even before the nbn, the next suburb over from me has multiple sunken pits and that doesn't happen over night, also the copper in the pits there is terrible, the corrosion is from years of neglect. (I am aware Telstra did a proposal for FTTN back in 2005 but it never happened) 

OT: Yay now i can download one thing with my massive 2gb cap lol, If we had a real NBN we could of tapped into its infrastructure and built wireless towers all around with fibre back haul, but nope gotta have that not so cheap short sighted FTTN ;)