Halo 5 Guardians Receives a Teen Rating

Tie Lightning

How are they purposefully going for a lower rating? The ESRB has become more lax in the recent years because what constitutes a M rating isn't viewed the same was as the general public anymore. Halo had dubiously earned the M rating as well, it was borderline. There are true M rated games (Like Condemned, which earn that rating so hard), but Halo never made sense. 

Like I said before, the public is more lenient on what they consider M. 

Increasing sales? How? Since when has the M rating been a deterrent? Nothing has stopped people from buying these games as under 18 year olds before, nothing will. Especially when digital delivery and online stores don't age check for a purchase, so thats a pretty bad point to try and make. 

Last I read the forum guidelines, both gaming AND tech news are allowed here. No need to piss on the discussion over some obscure agenda. 

The guidelines may have change, as I've seen "gaming news" threads get moved before.

If this is indeed just the ESRB being more lax....okay? I just don't see how its news worthy. Unless I see the headline "Halo 5 Guardians coming to PC confirmed" or something similar, it's not really news because it doesn't really mean anything for the general consumer. Especially considering that, as your pointed out, the ESRB rating system doesn't really deter anyone from playing any game. A quick match on call of duty is all anyone needs to confirm that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Greeeeat, now halo 5 will be filled with even more 5 year old screamers that get the game since people under 18 can get it.... I'll save my ears and skip. I also doubt this game supports triple monitor as Mission Impossible portrays it... Imagine that. Triple 1080p on the Xbox one. Hah, you'd probably get <10 fps

When I saw that in Mission Impossible, the first thing I thought was that it was a hint at that it is coming to PC.

If they are purposefully going for a lower rating to reach a wider audience, they could also try using more than one platform to increase sales.

Not that any of this matters, because it isn't tech news in the first place, it's game news.

Gaming news goes to tech news ( it has been freaking discussed 100000000000000000000 times already and if you want go suggest in the suggestiong thread ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Halo 3 had a 15 rating in the UK, i think they have to use PEGI now instead of the old British system.

This doesn't bother me at all. All of the Halo games should been rated T for Teen anyways. Either way, it's not about the rating. It's about the quality of the game. 343 Industries better deliver this time.

COMIC SANS

The only reasons it was rated M was because the flood being "Gory", language, and the fact the games were basically about Genocide...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

What? The M rating was there for a reason, to keep the riff raff out...

There was no reason for any of the previous Halos to be rated M anyway.

u8V14n7.gifToo true, too true.

but theres assault weapons and assault bullets, it has to be M!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Gaming news goes to tech news ( it has been freaking discussed 100000000000000000000 times already and if you want go suggest in the suggestiong thread ).

I had seen those discussions, I was under the impression that gaming news was supposed to go in the gaming section as a result of those discussions.

I had seen those discussions, I was under the impression that gaming news was supposed to go in the gaming section as a result of those discussions.

IF it is I apologize,but I got the other idea.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The M rating never made much sense to me anyway. Compared to most other M-rated shooters the combat is very mild, it's not very gory and most of the time you're not even fighting, you're just looking at the pretty scenery.

Weirdness. I know the mods are vehemently opposed to the creation of new forum sections, but that's about it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/392580-poll-is-it-time-for-a-gaming-news-section/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/392580-poll-is-it-time-for-a-gaming-news-section/?p=5301804

Quote from Glenwing on the topic:

It's on the list. Nick is out of the loop ;) Not everyone interested in hardware is interested in games or even vice versa, so I can definitely see the merits of a dedicated sub-section for this.

We have a lot of changes lined up and still in discussion, and we'd rather roll out everything together. But if there is a high desire for this we can talk about implementing it sooner rather than later.

They are working on a dedicated Gaming News subforum. In the mean time, post Gaming News here in this subforum.

Now can we stop talking about it and get back on topic? :P

OT: Halo games didn't seem particularly gory or overly sexualized enough to warrant Mature rating. Teen rating should be fine as long as they don't change anything.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Halo never really deserved an m rating anyways...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Halo CE and 2 were pretty bloody games. Halo 3 was where the series started to have less blood, but it had the flood so I can kind of see why it was rated M. Reach and 4 really didn't deserve their M ratings 

Xbutt Uno Super

The only things I can think of that might have made the previous games M-ish rated would be The Flood and some of the IWHBYD skull lines.

Eh. Not sure I'm looking forward to a less mature game, at least thematically, but I'll deal.

It was literally the flood that bumped it to an M rating.  They were originally shooting for a T rating.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

Halo CE and 2 were pretty bloody games. Halo 3 was where the series started to have less blood, but it had the flood so I can kind of see why it was rated M. Reach and 4 really didn't deserve their M ratings 

I'm not sure.

There was "blood", yes, but it wasn't realistic or particularly gory.

1169420265_78.jpg

Yeah you see blood splatters, but that's not remotely gory or realistic.

Should a 5 year old see this? No, of course not. But even a 10-12 year old would most likely be totally fine with this level of "gore". And certainly the rest of the range of teens (13-17) would have no issues with this, under normal adolescent development.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

*stuff*

That's still a lot of blood. And you can shoot dead Covenant, and sometimes humans, to create massive pools of blood. In Halo3 that was still possible but there was less blood coming out of the bodies, and at times it was hardly noticeable. Plus there is full dismemberment of the Flood in CE, 2, and 3. 

Xbutt Uno Super

That's still a lot of blood. And you can shoot dead Covenant, and sometimes humans, to create massive pools of blood. In Halo3 that was still possible but there was less blood coming out of the bodies, and at times it was hardly noticeable. Plus there is full dismemberment of the Flood in CE, 2, and 3. 

True, but the flood are not realistic either. Most of them are weird crazy monster shapes, vaguely humanoid, and when they explode, their blood and gore is usually a brown or yellow liquid.

As I stated, certainly not good for a young pre-teen, but a teen, even as young as 12, should have no issues with this game, even at it's most violent and gory moments.

In other words, T rating is totally appropriate for the entire Halo series.

Seems fine halo should have been teen anyway

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Who cares about game ratings these days anyways. The most M rated thing was voice chat, soooo yea not much can be done on that front. And from a fictional standpoint if the Promethean are a main enemy faced, they don't bleed anyways so not a big deal.