low end graphics card demand in decline

zMeul

Because Chapter 11 is out of reach under the structure of their main debts. If AMd doesn't have 600 million USD in liquid cash in Escrow on Jan 1st 2019, it will cause immediate controlled bankruptcy and likely a dissolution of the company. AMD would likely be split into two pieces, ATI being sold off to the highest bidder (Intel or Apple being the most likely of the North American companies). At that point the AMD investors will be looking for a merger/buyout to recover their money and get off of the AMD crazy train (Nvidia).

I'm not underestimating anything. I already took all of that into consideration.

Maybe you aren't, but a lot of people are. However 4 years is an eternity in PC land. By then we will have had 3 new consoles, Zen, 14nm finfet, probably 10 nm finfet too, and maybe even 7 nm. HBM should be version 3, if things continue. We all know next year will be very interesting, so let's see where that brings us, before concluding on 2019. Who are the creditors, AMD owns money to though? Because a bankruptcy will bring IP ownership to those creditors. If they are already investors, the IP rights could go back to the same owners of AMD now.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oh come on, that's used...

and what....

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

PC Gamers logic:

"Omg dude u got a 980Ti I can't afford that I only have a R7 260X but I own a 25K $ car" or something like that  :P

But to stay on topic, shouldn't the low-end graphics cards rise in demand because alot of Asian Moba/MMO players?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

The demand increased because the GTX 970 gave R9 290x level performance at $330, and everyone bought them. It was a pretty huge step up from the 770 for $70 less at launch. I thought they were just trying to really put a hurting on AMD with the $330 launch, but in retrospect it looks like a brilliant longterm move for Nvidia to make $330 the new normal instead of $250. Who is going back to the 60 series for their next GPU after the performance they're getting out of the 970 right now?

PC Gamers logic:

"Omg dude u got a 980Ti I can't afford that I only have a R7 260X but I own a 25K $ car" or something like that  :P

But to stay on topic, shouldn't the low-end graphics cards rise in demand because alot of Asian Moba/MMO players?

Not when a standard AMD APU can handle that already.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Not when a standard AMD APU can handle that already.

What if they want to drive a 144hz monitor  :P

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

What if they want to drive a 144hz monitor  :P

That should not be a problem tbh. But then again, if they can afford such a monitor, they can afford more than a low end GFX.

That should not be a problem tbh. But then again, if they can afford such a monitor, they can afford more than a low end GFX.

Well you can get 144hz monitors for like 150-200$ second hand :P

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Well you can get 144hz monitors for like 150-200$ second hand :P

And what graphics cards can you get second hand for that price? ;)

And what graphics cards can you get second hand for that price? ;)

Dunno 280X maybe 290 if you really lucky 

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Low end gpus are still a viable option as an upgrade for an older rig, but for new builds, the igpu is often not that far off in performance.

good, maybe more resources will be focused on higher end products to drive ever greater frame rates

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

This is good news.  Just means that both AMD and Nvidia need to bring much greater value/performance to all levels.  It's all fine and dandy if people want to talk about higher margin business of the top tier, but good luck keeping those margins when your not getting the same volume based concessions anymore from your suppliers/manufacturers; and good luck getting devs to give a fig about anything other than the lions share of their consumers.

I think it would be a mistake for nvidia to not compete more aggressively on their lower end cards in the long run.

Mid range cards are just so cheap now.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Maybe you aren't, but a lot of people are. However 4 years is an eternity in PC land. By then we will have had 3 new consoles, Zen, 14nm finfet, probably 10 nm finfet too, and maybe even 7 nm. HBM should be version 3, if things continue. We all know next year will be very interesting, so let's see where that brings us, before concluding on 2019. Who are the creditors, AMD owns money to though? Because a bankruptcy will bring IP ownership to those creditors. If they are already investors, the IP rights could go back to the same owners of AMD now.

Considering Sony is already in talks with Nvidia for the PS5 based on the Pascal GPU, don't hold your breath.

I believe the first creditor in 2019 owed is JP Morgan for the ATI loan. No one owns AMD. It's a publicly traded company.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Was it ever? :)

The original GeForce 2 MX - extremely cheap all things considered, I wouldn't see the point of getting the ultra version back then

Considering Sony is already in talks with Nvidia for the PS5 based on the Pascal GPU, don't hold your breath.

I believe the first creditor in 2019 owed is JP Morgan for the ATI loan. No one owns AMD. It's a publicly traded company.

Nonsense. Playstation 5 will not come out next year, but when it will, it will be based on new architecture, which Pascal won't be by then. What would drive the CPU part then? As for speculation, I do however think PS4 and XBONE will have very short lives, as next gen consoles should also be x86 based, and therefore be easier to make backwards compatible.

Not entirely sure you understand what a share is. The shareholders owns AMD. That is why companies have boards of directors, as is usually mandated by law, to represent the owners.

The original GeForce 2 MX - extremely cheap all things considered, I wouldn't see the point of getting the ultra version back then

That was my first dedicated GPU back in the day, excellent card that I bet it's still alive if I could find it. I only upgraded to the geforce 3 ti 200 to play Morrowind but everything else still ran fine

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nonsense. Playstation 5 will not come out next year, but when it will, it will be based on new architecture, which Pascal won't be by then. What would drive the CPU part then? As for speculation, I do however think PS4 and XBONE will have very short lives, as next gen consoles should also be x86 based, and therefore be easier to make backwards compatible.

Not entirely sure you understand what a share is. The shareholders owns AMD. That is why companies have boards of directors, as is usually mandated by law, to represent the owners.

Nvidia's successor to Denver most likely since it beats the snot out of Puma+ and the A8 processor and runs at lower power at the same time. The shareholders only hold a financial stake. They hold no ownership over any IP whatsoever. Upon dissolution everything would be up for bidding at the FTC like every other company that collapses.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just design more powerful low-end graphics cards...

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

You could see it with the release of the 900 series.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Nvidia's successor to Denver most likely since it beats the snot out of Puma+ and the A8 processor and runs at lower power at the same time. The shareholders only hold a financial stake. They hold no ownership over any IP whatsoever. Upon dissolution everything would be up for bidding at the FTC like every other company that collapses.

Denver? You mean the smartphone ARM chip that isn't even out yet? We have no idea how useful that thing is, but it is highly unlikely to beat the snot out of anything x86 based. Even so, by then AMD has Zen cores and newer iterations of those, so NVidia hardly has anything competitive on the CPU side.

Not exactly an expert on American law, but usually such IP rights are sold off on behalf of the creditors, however if there is only one creditor, they can get the IP rights directly. A shareholder holds a share of the company. A share is ownership, including all passives and actives of the company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock

Shares represent a fraction of ownership in a business. A business may declare different types (classes) of shares, each having distinctive ownership rules, privileges, or share values.​

In case of certain IP, that can result in monopolies, I'm sure the FTC has certain powers though. But that does not change the fact that share holders partly owns the companies they hold stock in, including IP (unless personally owned).

Used GTX 470/ 480/ 570/ 580 are the shit anyway for that tier. Beats the crap out of a 750 Ti or 260x, that's for damn sure. And the cost is so much lower than even those cards.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I always suspected this would be the case in the end,  I have yet to meet someone who has purchased a GPU below mid level and actually not regretted it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.