take it with a teaspoon of salt: Pascal up to 17 Billion Transistors, 32GB HBM2

zMeul

source: Fudzilla via PCPer

Pascal is the successor to the Maxwell Titan X GM200 and we have been tipped off by some reliable sources that it will have  more than a double the number of transisters. The huge increase comes from  Pascal's 16 nm FinFET process and its transistor size is close to two times smaller.

Pascal has 17 billion transistors and it will be significantly smaller silicon than the Maxwell 28nm based GM200.

Nvidia will use second generation HBM for its Pascal GPU to get to a 32GB on the highest end card, This is 2.7 times more than the already impressive 12GB used on Titan X. The second generation HBM or HBM 2.0 will enable 8Gb per DRAM die, 2Gbps speed per pin and 256 GB per second Bandwidth/ stack.

PlanarFinFET.jpg

---

17bil transistors, that huge, it's little more than double the count for Titan X with it's 7,1 billion, with a B

any bets? who's gonna be the 1st to market with a HBM2 product: AMD or nVidia?

also, 32GB of VRAM? yeah .. that's not gonna be a desktop product, rather a Tesla accelerator or a Quadro

Sounds like the specs for the ne Titan P (P for Pascal you know; gotta keep the Titan naming)

who cares...

I think Nvidia will be our first but have the lower binned, slower chips, not that it will matter at these ludicrous bandwidth levels.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well I'm officially no longer happy with my current setup.... Thanks Obama.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

who's gonna be the 1st to market with a HBM2 product: AMD or nVidia?

I believe recent news said AMD had some kind of first time exclusive on HBM2, meaning they would have to make a card before nVidia were allowed to.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Well there goes AMD... lol

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

I believe recent news said AMD had some kind of first time exclusive on HBM2, meaning they would have to make a card before nVidia were allowed to.

that's a lot of BS since:

1. nVidia taped out 1st
  2. nVidia announced Pascal with HBM2 - otherwise they wouldn't've bothered
  3. AMD doesn't control HBM2, SK-Hynix does; and ultimately, not even since it's JDEC standard
  4. it's a rumor with absolutely no confirmation; also coming from WCCF Tech who also said there's no problem with HBM supply .. duh!!

I was under the impression that was more about supply than product release.  But it can be assumed that if AMD gets the first X many units that they will likely be first to market with them.  Unless NVidia is just ready to plug and play, which is very unlikely.

Hynix could do nothing about it if Micron or Samsung or Elpida jumped in and started making it. It's a JEDEC standard after all, and Micron has the TSVs and experience, not to mention a will to snub Hynix after the stunt it pulled buying the votes to keep HMC out of the JEDEC standards. Intel stopped using Hynix's memory in its SSDs after that too. Hynix may come to regret that move more than its current CEO can imagine.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I was under the impression that was more about supply than product release. But it can be assumed that if AMD gets the first X many units that they will likely be first to market with them. Unless NVidia is just ready to plug and play, which is very unlikely.

Why would it be unlikely? Nvidia taped out 2 months before AMD did.

Why would it be unlikely? Nvidia taped out 2 months before AMD did.

I meant that it isn't like they can just wait for their turn at production, then just plug in the chips into ready made cards and start selling.  Assembly is slightly more complicated than that.

But, that doesn't mean that they won't have it ready in record time for that sweet sweet money.

• nVidia taped out 1st
  • nVidia announced Pascal with HBM2 - otherwise they wouldn't've bothered
  • AMD doesn't control HBM2, SK-Hynix does; and ultimately, not even since it's JDEC standard
  • it's a rumor with absolutely no confirmation; also coming from WCCF Tech who also said there's no problem with HBM supply .. duh!!
"I believe". I didnt say they had 100% exclusivity to anything. Upon reseach, i found a link, saying that it is an unconfirmed rumor like you say

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

inb4 128GB VRAM total in builds

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Not real.

But if it would be real it means at least 2 things in my book:

1. 4K will get rekt by the Pascal.

2. AMD will get rekt by nvidia.

If AMD doesnt have some fat dongers for CPU and GPU next year they should start looking to sell its stuff or they will go bankrupt and shutdown.

1. nVidia taped out 1st
  2. nVidia announced Pascal with HBM2 - otherwise they wouldn't've bothered
  3. AMD doesn't control HBM2, SK-Hynix does; and ultimately, not even since it's JDEC standard
  4. it's a rumor with absolutely no confirmation; also coming from WCCF Tech who also said there's no problem with HBM supply .. duh!!

1. Pretty sure AMD taped out first on 14nm FF (which should include Greenland, but that is not confirmed though).
  2. AMD announced Greenland with HBM2.
  3. SK-Hynix controls all HBM2 production they themselves produce. And AMD got exclusive rights to HBM1 they helped develop, and as rumours go, also get dibs on HBM2 modules.
  4. So is everything Pascal related.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I meant that it isn't like they can just wait for their turn at production, then just plug in the chips into ready made cards and start selling. Assembly is slightly more complicated than that.

But, that doesn't mean that they won't have it ready in record time for that sweet sweet money.

Have the does ship to Nvidia and then when the HBM and interposer supplies come in ship it all to assembly. Done deal. If AMD doesn't have the product volume to begin assembly and move to market without causing supply lag and incurring extra expenses at stalled supply points, the Nvidia could very well move in first.

• Pretty sure AMD taped out first on 14nm FF (which should include Greenland, but that is not confirmed though).
  • AMD announced Greenland with HBM2.
  • SK-Hynix controls all HBM2 production they themselves produce. And AMD got exclusive rights to HBM1 they helped develop, and as rumours go, also get dibs on HBM2 modules.
  • So is everything Pascal related.
Pascal taped out in April. Greenland taped out late June/early July given GloFo's own risk production timelines.

so are chips still 2d? they seem very flat. I dont know why manufactures havent gone vertical like a skyscraper. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Well there goes AMD... lol

Eh it's okay the Pascal Titan will cost $2500. I don't know how they would even begin to argue that 32GB of VRAM makes any sense at all for games. "Once you load a texture, it just stays there... ready... forever (until you restart)"

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

so are chips still 2d? they seem very flat. I dont know why manufactures havent gone vertical like a skyscraper.

Because building everything into the die would destroy yields. Also, engineering a cooling system would be extremely difficult.

am I the only one that care more about the lower end gpu's like the xx70 series

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com