take it with a teaspoon of salt: Pascal up to 17 Billion Transistors, 32GB HBM2

zMeul

Even 16GB is insane, I really don't see why you would need that much for gaming. Unless games start to be programmed different, have literally everything in VRAM... (I'm no programmer so I have no idea if that's actually possible and how it would benefit you). 

Well.. textures and resolutions are increasing every year. I wouldn't be surprised if in three years a 6 GB card is considered as bottom end as it can get.

Just like how the 390x was supposed to have double the transistors of the 290x? I'll believe that when I see it. The rest? Nothing that hasn't been said a dozen times before. It'll be on 16nm ff and have hbm2.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

If one's choice is a 980 Ti, or a Pascal card, waiting would be pointless. Previous patterns have shown us that the high end Ti cards are just as strong as the normal high end cards of a newer generation. The 780 Ti holds its own against a GTX 980. This means in order for a card to be stronger than the current Ti or Titans, you will need to get a newer Ti, or Titan class card. Those tend to come long after the first batch of initial cards. You will be waiting an additional 6 months or so after the first batch of Pascal to get a card truly worthy of succeeding the 980 Ti.

Do not expect the 32GB variants to be available on general consumer grade hardware. Those will be reserved for HPC cards. I expect a 16GB Titan, and an 8 or 12GB x80 Ti card. Whether or not HBM will matter or not has yet to be seen, given current monitor standards and how games actually use resources. 

I plan on getting a GTX 980 Ti by the end of this year, Pascal will not have any effect on that. Volta is where my curiosity truly gets piqued.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well.. textures and resolutions are increasing every year. I wouldn't be surprised if in three years a 6 GB card is considered as bottom end as it can get.

Well as long as consoles are around they're not going to make much use of it. There are very few games that are PC exclusive that utilize the whole power of it. Star citizen is the only one I can think of atm. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Well as long as consoles are around they're not going to make much use of it. There are very few games that are PC exclusive that utilize the whole power of it. Star citizen is the only one I can think of atm. 

Maybe more developers will because they'll say "ah fuck it, we have a giant buffer, let's not optimize it for shit" while the current gen of consoles is still around.

But consoles. Maybe games made only for PC will advance that far, but for now consoles are holding back PC games significantly. Consoles can barely handle their own games as it is, and the PC ports we are getting grow shittier by the day.

My money is ready...

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Maybe more developers will because they'll say "ah fuck it, we have a giant buffer, let's not optimize it for shit" while the current gen of consoles is still around.

I guess, but gamers don't really upgrade that much to the latest and greatest, I mean I haven't upgraded in 3 years and my 660ti still plays games at 1080p medium settings and I'm more than satisfied with that. As i've said before I'm no game dev, but I would imagine that dx-12/vulkan could make vram utilization go down due to it being more optimised? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

But consoles. Maybe games made only for PC will advance that far, but for now consoles are holding back PC games significantly. Consoles can barely handle their own games as it is, and the PC ports we are getting grow shittier by the day.

Because scrolling down and reading my next reply is too hard, here I'll make it easy for you:

All I see is the NVidia die surrounded by the 4 HBM modules on a green PCB package. Sure, a PCB can be an interposer, but the reason AMD made one in silicon was because of the massive amounts of tiny BGA connectors would be extremely difficult to connect on a PCB with copper tracing. The black board only contains VRM and the GPU package.

It is in silicon. Specifically a silicon with a single metal layer. Silicon only takes onrainbow colors or a golden shine with multiple layers of depth to it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I guess, but gamers don't really upgrade that much to the latest and greatest, I mean I haven't upgraded in 3 years and my 660ti still plays games at 1080p medium settings and I'm more than satisfied with that. As i've said before I'm no game dev, but I would imagine that dx-12/vulkan could make vram utilization go down due to it being more optimised? 

*shrug* I dunno how things are going to play out. Do remember, there's a looot of people that do constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest, and that's what will end up pushing innovation in games.

Because scrolling down and reading my next reply is too hard, here I'll make it easy for you:

Settle down there friend

RIP AMD.

You better hope not :) AMD goes then Nvidia jacks up price giving you the finger  :lol:

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

That's the post this is of...

OT: If this is real...

Holy Shit... 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha