Cortana to have a different personality depending on your country

Cortana, Microsoft's personal assistant is due for release on 29th July, alongside Windows 10.

However at launch it is only going to be released in certain countries: the U.S., UK, China, France, Italy, Germany and Spain.

Before now we didn't know the reason for this; after all why would you exclude countries such as Canada where the majority of people speak French or English anyway?

Microsoft has finally given us an answer:

Microsoft decided that it wants Cortana to be unique to each nation where she's used. Cortana will be programmed to reflect the local dialect of the language used inside of each country, as well as to be familiar with idioms and unique speech patterns that are used inside of that country.

This will help to make Cortana feel like a regular part of the community, but Microsoft doesn't stop there. Cortana is being programmed to understand the humor of an area and to have cultural awareness. For example, in the UK, Cortana knows that self-deprecating humor is popular, and she will use dry humor, irony, and sarcasm when replying to you.

So Cortana will supposedly have an understanding of the nation's humour and culture, enhancing the experience compared to Siri or Google Now. What version you get is not controllable at launch however. 

As much as the personality sounds exciting, especially to myself, an android user, who is used to the emotionless Google Now; I do hope they don't overdo the Britishisms.

I will kill Cortana if she tells me to go and have a cup of tea.

Source

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Haha I love a good cuppa

Why Is it windows 10 not 9?

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

My country is infamous for the originality in cursing because the language leaves so much open space for it. Just saying aka MS make it happen.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

All i can think of is

"Chief! The covenant is advancing on our location eh!"

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

inb4 

-polish trigger word is kurva

-russian trigger is cyka

-french trigger is surrender

-*other stereotypes* jk

In India,

(In very strong English-indian accent)

-Welcome to HP customer support, my name is Cortana, how can I help?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Hehe, nice, we in Germany have the best sense of humour.  ;)

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

None?

Nah, we are really funny. :)

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I'm actually excited for Cortana now.. who'd have thought it. She can tell me to have a cup of tea all she likes. I don't drink nearly enough!  :D

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

inb4 

-polish trigger word is kurva

-russian trigger is cyka

-french trigger is surrender

-*other stereotypes* jk

the Polish one made me ROFL :D I actually understand the word, because it is the same here in Slovakia :D

@blu4 - am I right? :D

the Polish one made me ROFL :D I actually understand the word, because it is the same here in Slovakia :D

most of eastern europe uses it . 

For example in romanian it's " curva "

Nah, we are really funny. :)

Henning wehn is proof of that^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Soo, the Finnish version is not going to be very talkative.

DNfkWMF.png

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

In Mother Russia Cortana questions you.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

"Welcome back mate"

I am KOR-TARNA MATE

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

The movie Her sounds not so far off afterall ... Can I get Scarlet Johanson's voice as Cortana ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Fudge Scarlet (yes, I said it), I want the old lady who plays M in James Bond.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

great... i already know how this packs out for the dutch version...

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Idk, I think I would prefer the original "in-game" personality, but we'll see how it goes. And for god's sake microsoft, allow me to use whatever language I want to talk to her, talking to a PC in Dutch is hella awkward.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

they should let you chose your version just imagine taking your laptop on vacation and cortana changes languages.