EVGA puts an end to the silicon lottery for the first time ever with the GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N

ChrisxIxCross

Is this provable? If you can't prove it, spending the above amount of money is absurd.

This isn't some snakeoil urban legend myth, if ASIC quality wasnt the most important thing I doubt EVGA would be offering a deal like this.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Where in GPUZ is this displayed? TIA

Click the little GPU Z symbol in the top right of the window, it's a menu button.

ythx7i5.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Sounds like nothing more than a marketing gimmick to me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If I were to buy one of these cards I would buy the cheapest variant. My current gpu (club 3D radeon r9 270) has a ASIC rating of 71.6% but still overclocks pretty well.

It's just a number. Ridiculous that the price difference is 200 dollars for a few percentage.....

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

$1,050 for 80% ASIC quality? Has ASIC quality even proven to actually matter?

Meh, people seem to make a big fuss about it so why not cash in? After all, that's what capitalism is about right? Exploitation.

This isn't some snakeoil urban legend myth, if ASIC quality wasnt the most important thing I doubt EVGA would be offering a deal like this.

EVGA is a business, it could simply be a move to cash in on the ignorant. People that buy K|NGP|N cards should, at the very least, be water cooling and lower ASIC quality is better for water cooling (assuming ASIC quality actually has an effect on something in the first place).

Right click the top (not the right side though) and click read ASIC quality

Sounds like nothing more than a marketing gimmick to me.

It is, 8Pack one of the top OC'ers in the world recently said so, along with Gibbo from OcUK

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/411772-evga-puts-an-end-to-the-silicon-lottery-by-being-able-to-purchase-cards-based-on-the-asic-quality-with-the-gtx-980-ti-kngpn/?p=5542171

Am I the only one drooling over that cooler? those mesh cutouts are sexy!

at least they state right there on the page that a higher asic does not mean it will overclock better then a lower asic card 

Yah

Right clock the top of gpuz.Menu should come up.And go to read asic quality 

Have you seen their recent SLI bridges?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Right click the top window bar and go down the list it should show your ASIC quality score.

Am I the only one drooling over that cooler? those mesh cutouts are sexy!

If it had a bit of thin slightly recessed EL wire around the edge, it would be an absolute 10/10.

Still waiting for a GPU company to do that.

They do nothing, but look nice in my system :D

Do they light up?

Their ads claim differently.

Edit: When I saw the ads anyways.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Hmm curious my gpu has a ASIC of 75% and its one of the higher end 680s, ive been lucky with my gpus, my 7870xt got a score of 82%

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

>implying it doesn't matter with kepler :(

Kepler continues to scale with voltage regardless of temperature basically, this is behavior Maxwell doesn't exhibit very well past 1.275v.

A quote from Kingpin himself:

Honestly speaking, I think most end users don't even realize how maxwell gpus are voltage capped at ambient type cooling. I can tell by many of the comments at OC.net, elsewhere, and also here in these card XOC bios threads. Especially compared to kepler. KP 780ti scaled great on voltage with air/water temps. Basically, more voltage = more clocks no matter what temperature.

With 980 and later gpus including titanX, the scaling on air/water has all but almost gone. I would say about 95% of all maxwell 980,titan-X, and 980ti gpus NO MATTER what vga brand pcb it is on, DO NOT SCALE with more voltage than 1.25v-1.275v at temps warmer than 25c or so. There is no magical bios that can effectively remove this.

This is exactly why almost every moderate-good asic titanX, 980, and yes 980ti clock around 1550mhz MAX AVERAGE at say 45-60C loading temps.

If you put 0c and colder on the card, you will see MUCH different behavior than what you see on air (green garbage all over screen when raising volts over 1.23-1.25vv or so)

Cards with very good ASIC value (75% and up) will tend to have the most "overclocking", but just like about every other maxwell gpu, they cannot overvolt past 1.23v-1.25v.

So highest asic cards like 80% +are almost always going to be the ones that can 1600+ on air/water, and again they do it pretty much WITHOUT overvolting over 1.23v-1.25v. Maxwell gpus with lower asic value like 65% will not be so great at air/water because these low asic gpus need voltage to scale compared to match the overclock of the high asic gpus( USING SAME USABLE VOLTAGE 1.23-1.25v)

The bios's I posted basically allow you to set a higher voltage on air/water. Some gpus can scale more, some cant, some actually will NEED more voltage than was previously needed to run same frequency. All different.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Do they light up?

Yes sir!

tN8kqn7.png

Their ads claim differently.

Edit: When I saw the ads anyways.

Oh yes, they claimed to reduce latency and improve performance, they did change their wording recently it seems. Rubbish to try and sell more. I just wanted something other than that nasty brown ribbon cable.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00919/EVGA-Pro-SLI-Bridges-V2/

These redesigned bridges come with several improvements over the previous generation SLI bridges. Not only do these new bridges light up and look great on select graphics cards, they also have a high quality aluminum shroud and are optimized for the next generation display resolutions and refresh rates, with a high pixel clock frequency design that gives best compatibility for 120Hz+ and 4K+ gaming!*

The quality of the silcon slug during manufacturing/wafers they use to make their chips and the precision of their machines is a really big factor in something like chip quality and overclock-ability there are so many variables. While ASIC quality is a good measure of voltage need it's not the yard stick approach per say to measure overclocking capability, there will be not maybe, but guaranteed a chip that has >80% ASIC but can't even overclock more than a few percent due to other factors.

Click the little GPU Z symbol in the top right of the window, it's a menu button.

Thanks so much m80. My EVGA 750 TI FTW reads 70.9%

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

$1,050 for 80% ASIC quality? Has ASIC quality even proven to actually matter?

My 970 is at 69.5% and doesn't have a 100% stable overclock.* Take from that what you will.

*The only game which is always unstable at any ovderclock is Batman:AK, but the fact that the driver crashes makes me think that it's not just because the game is broken. 

I must be a dork for thinking this, but it would be cool if they had one card that they made to its top quality possible (which is obviously possible) instead of splitting it up and forcing us to pay for better performance/quality* of the same card just so they can make more money.

*whatever the "difference" is

Heres the thing. The way things are manufactured produces the differences in quality. If one chip has channels that are 50 atoms wide and the next one has 51 or 48 on average then they will be different qualities. It happens this way because of how silicon is.

The same thing happens with other chips. Intel for example. They split them up based on how it turns out per batch. The nicest ones turn into i7's and xeons. The next tier ones when checked may be i5's and the ones that are bad enough some cores don't work properly or up to par those cores can be disabled and they are turned into i3's. While this isn't exactly how it works it is the simplest way to explain it.

Not to mention if ASIC quality wasnt /that/ important I doubt they'd be doing something like this.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00919/EVGA-Pro-SLI-Bridges-V2/

EVGA has been known to sell "super 1337 pro gamer class" things that have little to no impact on performance. However, in this circumstance, i have to agree with your previous statement. SLI bridges are one thing (they do look better, and are high quality) but graphics cards have a tangible performance difference when their build quality comes into question. It is something we can see and calculate by making comparisons among cards of a similar class. If these cards made no difference in performance, they would not think to charge upwards of $350 more than a stock 980 Ti. 

I am sure some people might pay extra for a service such as this, but i myself would avoid it. This is not how you get the best price to performance. This is clearly a very niche market EVGA is targeting. The people that want the absolute best of the best.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This is gonna be a LTT WAN Show topic. I'm calling it.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

[removed]

Which is known as chip binning.

Eeeeh.. I'll take two of the lowest price ones and take my chances.