EVGA puts an end to the silicon lottery for the first time ever with the GTX 980 Ti K|NGP|N

ChrisxIxCross

We're talking about GPUs, specifically the K|NGP|N, something that isn't gimmped by poor TIM, poor power management and other poor components, EVGA wouldn't gimp a card designed for breaking world records meaning those are done and out the way.

I'm not saying ASIC has no play in the fact, I'm saying that it has such a little role that it really doesn't matter compared to the way the silicon lottery effects it. 

Im not saying its going to be intentionally gimped but every once in a while less than stellar pieces make it through to the card. Errors and accidents happen. It cant be avoided. Sometimes a card can have everything going for it but it just doesn't live up to its potential.

I'd rather have them sell cards that have a certificate or something proving that this card is capable of overclocking this much with this type of cooler. I can't help but feel like this is still playing the lottery to some extent.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

First review is here! OC to 1550mhz on air with 72% ASIC! http://www.hardwarel...ti-kingpin.html

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Card just went up 20 minutes ago and all of them are gone already. Unreal....

It took 20 minutes? The Hydrocopper cards usually sell out in 8.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Top Overclocker in the UK, the person has an 8pack Edition 2000W PSU , and no GPU edition? No world records either? Jeez just putting his name into google shows some Headlines "8 Pack Does It Again" "8 Pack of OcUK returns with 3 world overclocking records." "8Pack Sets Multiple World Records with the Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion HD"  "8Pack and der8auer break 15 overclocking world records"

Seriously, just google the guy's name....

You must be right though, one of the best in the world; but he obviously, absolutely has NO contacts or access to early tech, or gpu's Obviously....

-snip-

#NoGetRektBigEnoughForThis

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Damn.

That 980ti K|ngp|n is fucking beautiful!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So for high water OC you still want high asic cards. It's not garuanteed but offers a higher chance. Is this valid for all GPUs or is this specific to Maxwell cards?

this is specific to maxwell and newer arc.

fermi and kepler did better with lower asics on air and water. 

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

You can be one of the leading people in your field and still be wrong, ASIC quality making a huge impact is about as true case fans destroying headers when being blown around with canned air. It's just BS that's been circulated around and people have just believed it because "it's on the internet so it must be true" or just because some big figure said it's true. The silicon lottery is what determines how something will overclock, not ASIC quality.

I'm literally done listening to your nonsense.

I'm going with the guy whose name is on the cards, working with the best engineers and who has almost all of the world records.

SEE YA

Should I believe you?  Your statement is on the Internet, so it might be false? :)

he's an ignorant and immature idiot whose unwilling to learn the new facts about subject being taught to us by the best and most experienced people in the industry

let him live in the dark.

#NoGetRektBigEnoughForThis

yeah there is a rekt big enough for this

vince , talking to him and other vga vendors realized that they haven't been able to break maxwells limits in driver and bios for XOC

that's why they're all still using titan x up to date for their ln2 and not 980 ti's, which evga holds the record with.

LOL

he's an ignorant and immature idiot whose unwilling to learn the new facts about subject being taught to us by the best and most experienced people in the industry

let him live in the dark.

"He's an Ignorant and immature idiot" Said the K|NGP|N fanboy.

I'm immature for saying someone could be wrong on the internet?

You heard it here first guys! Stop saying people on the internet can be wrong you immature idiots!!!! /s *Insert obligatory GR8 B8 M8 comment*

8pack is not in the lab developing hardware specific models for xoc, they used his face on a box of a model they came up with.

if you knew anything at all about maxwell / xoc you'd know how big of a joke it is / was , even with the kingpin version of the 980.

the cards and bios they developed did not perform, infamously known fact.

evga has been the only mfg so far to get big maxwell to work in xoc / high clocks, proven by the fact everyone else is still using TX's. 

I wish Linus would do a fast as possible about ASIC

there'd have to be one stating the facts for kepler and prior, and maxwell and newer...

also, I'm going to say linus " word " is less informed than these guys. 

It took 20 minutes? The Hydrocopper cards usually sell out in 8.

Oh no I meant that as been 20 minutes, cards were gone in less than 10.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

My concern for this kind of business model is that it will encourage EVGA to specifically bin regular (non "pre-binned") cards as all the low end "under 72% ASIC" reject cards.

In other words, unless you pay more upfront for a guaranteed ASIC level, you're going to get screwed. Anyone who wants to take their chances with the silicon lottery will end up with all the cards that didn't make the higher cut.

At least, that's the risk. Hopefully they're only even checking a very small number of their GPU's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8pack doesnt work with some of the best engineers in the industry, either. 

nor does he hold any records.

believe what you want, you're the one following an outdated and misrepresented chart from a free " tool. "  that doesnt even apply to current architecture. 

your source also doesn't work for a company in r/d on gpu tech and hardware, nor does he have access to hundreds of cards throughout the dev cycle that back up his stated " personal opinion. "

carry on, clown. 

where's the 8 pack model card and in what mfg's home office is his oc and r/d lab stationed?  :lol:

You do know 8 Pack is ranked #2 on the planet on hwbot.org right?  He holds MANY world records.  Also he has his own card, Galax made an 8 pack edition HOF, and they have 2000w Superflower PSU's named after him now as well.

Hwbot is a website where all serious overclockers compete with eachother, he was previously #1 until "Dancop" set like 10 world records the other day and dethroned 8 Pack.

http://hwbot.org/user/8_pack/

j9bgj.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My concern for this kind of business model is that it will encourage EVGA to specifically bin regular (non "pre-binned") cards as all the low end "under 72% ASIC" reject cards.

In other words, unless you pay more upfront for a guaranteed ASIC level, you're going to get screwed. Anyone who wants to take their chances with the silicon lottery will end up with all the cards that didn't make the higher cut.

At least, that's the risk. Hopefully they're only even checking a very small number of their GPU's.

This will likely only be a thing For K|NGP|N and Hydrocopper cards.

This will likely only be a thing For K|NGP|N and Hydrocopper cards.

Yeah, but that same GPU itself is the same GPU that EVGA puts in all of their GTX 980 Ti cards.

Granted, I imagine a regular EVGA 980 Ti outsells the Kingpin and Hydrocopper cards by significant margins.

Still, the risk is that the best of the best chips will be cherrypicked for the Kingpin cards, and then that reduces the chances of you getting a 980 Ti that can overclock at all.

But as I said, Kingpin and Hydro cards are likely a very small percentage of EVGA 980 Ti sales, so perhaps my worry is unwarranted.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah, but that same GPU itself is the same GPU that EVGA puts in all of their GTX 980 Ti cards.

Granted, I imagine a regular EVGA 980 Ti outsells the Kingpin and Hydrocopper cards by significant margins.

Still, the risk is that the best of the best chips will be cherrypicked for the Kingpin cards, and then that reduces the chances of you getting a 980 Ti that can overclock at all.

But as I said, Kingpin and Hydro cards are likely a very small percentage of EVGA 980 Ti sales, so perhaps my worry is unwarranted.

You'll never get a chip that doesn't overclock at all. Nvidia keeps most of those for the reference cards.

If EVGA are cherrypicking all their best chips and charging a premium for them that means the overclocking ability of the rest of their range will suffer significantly. 

It looks like the only way to get a decent overclocker from them will be to pay an exorbitant amount or one of the specially binned reviewers' copies.

EVGA are taking a leaf from nvidia's book and screwing consumers over.

If EVGA are cherrypicking all their best chips and charging a premium for them that means the overclocking ability of the rest of their range will suffer significantly.

It looks like the only way to get a decent overclocker from them will be to pay an exorbitant amount or one of the specially binned reviewers' copies.

Nope, because they confirmed that the other cards are going on as always. KPEs that don't make the cut go unsold for now.

Nope, because they confirmed that the other cards are going on as always. KPEs that don't make the cut go unsold for now.

Don't be naive.

Those chips will be sold at some point; EVGA will not want money sitting idle in inventory.

The statement about not selling them immediately is their PR department attempting to protect their reputation and avoid a precipitous drop in sales when people realise the sheer enormity of the implications of EVGA's decision.

Don't be naive.

Those chips will be sold at some point; EVGA will not want money sitting idle in inventory.

The statement about not selling them immediately is their PR department attempting to protect their reputation and avoid a precipitous drop in sales when people realise the sheer enormity of the implications of EVGA's decision.

What drop in sales? Overclockers will pay for the best, and that's the same crowd that always buys Kingpin and Hydrocopper anyway. The rest of the lineup will remain.

You could build a whole system for the price of one card lmao.

Cool idea but damn $$$$$

Totally agree, but 980TI's are painful to begin with. I sold an entire 4770K based system today for $50 less than I bought my G1 a week ago. FML, right? :P

But I have to say... the frames this thing pulls is utterly ridiculous. Also, it hits 1500+ on the clock. I'm so blown away. I had thought running SLI 670s @ 1300 was fast.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Even at the high end cards the amount of overclockers isnt that high. They arent screwing over anyone that isnt overclocking at all which is the majority. Even then there are other factors that determine overclocking so even with a very high asic score you can still get a really bad overclocking card. Its just what happens. Cards that cannot hit their standard clocks arent even let into the market.