"PC gaming is in a golden age", says XCOM 2 creative director

Bouzoo

Also the games in between AAA and indie. Like Paradox with their strategy games, or Obsidian with RPGs.

Totally agree. I kind of consider Paradox as indie, but they're large enough that I wouldn't argue with someone saying otherwise.

Yes and no.

AMD is going through hard times financially with constant talk of going out of business or being bought out, potentially giving Intel and NVIDIA a monopoly, we have developers like Ubisoft and Warner that don't even consider PC ports as an afterthought, etc.

On the other hand, we've recently discovered that financially we're making more than consoles, Rockstar seemed to have redeemed themselves by doing GTA 5 right, unlike some devs Bethesda isn't putting any kind of limits on their PC rendition of Fallout 4... things are looking pretty nicely for us.

Now if only we can spread the word and more people will care about PC and cut the BS they think about it.  Then we have the Golden Age in sight!

[witty signature]

Golden Age of PC gaming? No, I don't think so. I think that time has past.

However, what he said in regards to being the tip of the spear for innovation, that's true and has been for a couple of decades now.

As long as consoles exist, pc will never be in a golden age. Rights now it's a war between pc and consoles. Game developers care more about consoles now. Tbh, I see no future for pc gaming.

Very debatable but if it is one it's just in the beginning. Too many devs try to undermine the platform hard to sell for the consoles.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

I would say PC gaming is in a golden age in terms of the current GPU wars going on. Look how much performance you can get for not a whole lot of money (namely the 970 and 390). :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yes it is!

It's starting. Big things like Win 10, DirectX12 and Vulcan are coming.

Things are getting better for people entering the PC Gaming community, because it's easy to get a card that achieves nice results at 1080p. High end cards aim at higher resolutions every time. 1080p is still nice, and now mid-end cards can provide a very nice experience for 1080p Gaming.

As long as consoles exist, pc will never be in a golden age. Rights now it's a war between pc and consoles. Game developers care more about consoles now. Tbh, I see no future for pc gaming.

This is what console makers want you to think. It's not a war and never was. PC does it's own thing and always has. Remember that time a console had WoW and earned infinity billion dollars? No you don't, because it didn't happen.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

it's past the golden age

we'll be hitting 'platinum' soon

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

I don't get it why most people think AAA games is the only makes PC gaming better

I mean seriously

Assassin Creed? Batman? CoD? BF?

when did you start gaming on this platform? a year ago?

Games on PC were make to last as long as it possible because it is possible.

have you ever wonder why Starcraft has been around for decade? I'm talking about the original SC
look at Counter Strike, that IP is been around for almost same time.

mostly only PORTS require insane amount of horse power to run the game.

I can live and worried less without ports, and with these new mobile games, making it worse

people confuse between "point and click" with " tap and auto play"

If this is the golden age can we get the diamond age then because everything is still sh*t. I don't play AAA games much though just Fallout 4 but is that even considered AAA.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

thinking about it from the hardware side of things. it's never been "easier" to be a PC gamer.

also "cheaper" AMD's R9 300 series does an amazing job-for-price. more than the average gamer requires (1440@60fps/1080p@120fps)

feels good, man.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Idk about anyone else, but I've never had to worry about lack of games on the PC platform. There are always new games to play every year, every month. I don't think we're in a golden age for PC gaming since PC gaming hasn't really slowed down at all.

Idk about anyone else, but I've never had to worry about lack of games on the PC platform. There are always new games to play every year, every month. I don't think we're in a golden age for PC gaming since PC gaming hasn't really slowed down at all.

but the sales growth is huge

company didn't measure growth by number of releases

they measure it with number of sales from each releases.

XCOM & Civ V in this case made them realize that this niche genre once again proof that market for this game exist and selling well better than consoles releases.

http://steamspy.com/app/8930

There certainly is a future, PC gaming is not gonna die, and I don't mean because we have titles like LoL, Dota2 etc. (god no, if they are the only reason why we're surviving we might die as well), but because PC gaming gives us the biggest freedom, has the most capable hardware, and has few other advantages. If it were to die, this now came to my mind, I'd hope component manufacturers would help in keeping it alive somehow because all the $ we give them.  :lol: If PC gaming is dead who would need their hardware?

Well tbh sometimes there are months when 5 games are released that I wanna play, while on the other hand sometimes I find myself replaying old games because nothing interesting has been released for months. While that is a very subjective thing and depends on the individual, what seems to have slowed down in gaming is originality. That is to be expected at some point, because so many games are out there you have to be a magician of some sort to make a unique great game. There are always few games like that, but not so many as before. 

Yes it is!

It's starting. Big things like Win 10, DirectX12 and Vulcan are coming.

Things are getting better for people entering the PC Gaming community, because it's easy to get a card that achieves nice results at 1080p. High end cards aim at higher resolutions every time. 1080p is still nice, and now mid-end cards can provide a very nice experience for 1080p Gaming.

Well I can't see the resolution and GPU power as a measure of sort. Back when 8800 GTX wes released, it was something new and a beast of a card as a card could get. It destroyed everything in it's path, until we got higher resolutions, new engines and the card became obsolete. Good luck running anything with that today. And the cycle is gonna happen again, and again, and again... In 5 years, GTX 480 or 580 are probably gonna be good for nothing.

it's past the golden age

we'll be hitting 'platinum' soon

Why do you think that? I'm just curious.  :)

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

LOL its sad these people with such important positions, which should be smarter people make such retarded statements.

Sure there are some great game concepts out there some come to life, but the way they execute them full of DLC and can barely be played due to no optimizations =/= PC gaming golden age, its worse than ever, its more like dead than alive, just because steam is filled with trash greenlight crap, and tons of so called AAA games ports from shitty consoles again prove him wrong.

Where is my Rome2, Atilla, Civilization BE, Witcher 3 and Project Cars gameplay fixes? they suck balls i got scammed on all of them(except Witcher3 which i didnt buy luckly). Not to mention the crap performance of most of them.

Maybe if you're playing games where the developer isn't being beaten into submission by the console manufacturers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

thinking about it from the hardware side of things. it's never been "easier" to be a PC gamer.

also "cheaper" AMD's R9 300 series does an amazing job-for-price. more than the average gamer requires (1440@60fps/1080p@120fps)

feels good, man.

yeah, especially if you consider the "lacklustre performance" of the current gen consoles, everyone has been hyped up and all the nontechies were expecting $2000 pc performances with 4k and stuff, and here we are with the r9 390 having as old chip as the consoles and that shit gets the same performance in the witcher 3 in 4k as the ps4 in 1080p (that is 19-20 fps min 29-30 avg http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-390-nitro-8gb-review/15/) in 2013 it was a pretty decent performance for $400, but damn that limited input devices and high software prices

LOL its sad these people with such important positions, which should be smarter people make such retarded statements.

Sure there are some great game concepts out there some come to life, but the way they execute them full of DLC and can barely be played due to no optimizations =/= PC gaming golden age, its worse than ever, its more like dead than alive, just because steam is filled with trash greenlight crap, and tons of so called AAA games ports from shitty consoles again prove him wrong.

Where is my Rome2, Atilla, Civilization BE, Witcher 3 and Project Cars gameplay fixes? they suck balls i got scammed on all of them(except Witcher3 which i didnt buy luckly). Not to mention the crap performance of most of them.

Just buy quality games like Pillars of Eternity or Crusader Kings 2, instead of console ports. Problem solved. There are plenty of great games on PC.

Potential in near future maybe, atm not really cause of all the fuss with games being broken and look horrible than some that are at early stages of development.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

There certainly is a future, PC gaming is not gonna die, and I don't mean because we have titles like LoL, Dota2 etc. (god no, if they are the only reason why we're surviving we might die as well), but because PC gaming gives us the biggest freedom, has the most capable hardware, and has few other advantages. If it were to die, this now came to my mind, I'd hope component manufacturers would help in keeping it alive somehow because all the $ we give them.  :lol: If PC gaming is dead who would need their hardware?

Well tbh sometimes there are months when 5 games are released that I wanna play, while on the other hand sometimes I find myself replaying old games because nothing interesting has been released for months. While that is a very subjective thing and depends on the individual, what seems to have slowed down in gaming is originality. That is to be expected at some point, because so many games are out there you have to be a magician of some sort to make a unique great game. There are always few games like that, but not so many as before. 

Well I can't see the resolution and GPU power as a measure of sort. Back when 8800 GTX wes released, it was something new and a beast of a card as a card could get. It destroyed everything in it's path, until we got higher resolutions, new engines and the card became obsolete. Good luck running anything with that today. And the cycle is gonna happen again, and again, and again... In 5 years, GTX 480 or 580 are probably gonna be good for nothing.

Why do you think that? I'm just curious.  :)

past the age of doom, fallout, mechwarrior, quake, the sims (original), half life, command & conquer, diablo/ii, you name it, all the 'golden' titles from the past 15 years. 

you can't really innovate a lot of games like that again without them seeming like blatant ripoffs. i feel like at this point we're entering 'hyperrealism' and that's a good thing. but some of the best (read: most nostalgic) moments of pc gaming for me were years ago. 

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Pointless statement. You can only look back at a period in hindsight and call it a "golden age". You can't claim we're currently in a golden age.

Hmm... I think I actually agree. Indie games are glorious, twau, banner saga, ark, etc. AAA and drum are the shit stain on the glorious buttocks.

Somewhat OT; mobile games are actually getting really decent. Transistor, Banner saga, walking dead, am

And hell, minecraft. The AppStore is still full of shit games, but it's progressing.

- snip-

With the recent unpolished games that were released, nope, PC gaming is not in a golden age, in fact I've never seen PC gaming in a golden age.

Maybe in the late 90's, but since I wasn't around, I can't confirm.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.