"PC gaming is in a golden age", says XCOM 2 creative director

Bouzoo

Golden age? All these damned consoles are hindering our graphics advancements! Shitty ports, terrible engines, overall dumbed down graphics so it's easier for consoles to run them. Why not develop the games on PC and for PC and THEN port them to the consoles!

Yes, I agree with a certain distinction. PC gaming has never been better and this is simply due to technology. We now have games that allow us to command vast armies and fleets whether it be in ancient Rome or in a quest to reclaim our homeworld Higara. We can interact with each other across the planet in MMOs and multiplayer in a moment's notice. VR is on the horizon for ordinary consumers and the development of hardware, software and utilities continues. Indy games and independent studios have experienced a huge rise in popularity and backing.

The distinction is the video game industry and by briefly skimming over the posts it seems we all agree. Mismanagement and greed have taken a high seat recently when it comes to criticizing the industry. Which it is hard to argue against, but it's mostly a matter of a few bad game developers compared to an almost systemic hunt for profit by publisher companies.

With the recent unpolished games that were released, nope, PC gaming is not in a golden age, in fact I've never seen PC gaming in a golden age.

Maybe in the late 90's, but since I wasn't around, I can't confirm.

I was around in the late 90s and fragged plenty of newbs in Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament etc. but honestly I mostly remember that period fondly due to nostalgia. PC gaming is IMO better today than it was back then, and I mean it's not like console gaming wasn't a thing back then. Sony sold like 100 million original Playstations in the mid to late 90s. It's just that people pay too much attention to the big crossplatform titles these days.

I was around in the late 90s and fragged plenty of newbs in Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament etc. but honestly I mostly remember that period fondly due to nostalgia. PC gaming is IMO better today than it was back then, and I mean it's not like console gaming wasn't a thing back then. Sony sold like 100 million original Playstations in the mid to late 90s. It's just that people pay too much attention to the big crossplatform titles these days.

Thanks for your input.

I play like 98% on PC and to be honest, I don't think PC will be in a golden age any time soon, not if things continue the way they are right now.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.