Sapphire R9 Fury revealed

I want to see someone watercool that, just because they can.

I know you could get the Fury x but I want to see a custom loop with that in it.

@LinusTech Please do this when(or if) someone makes a waterblock for this.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

and in some games it straight up doesn't work.

which is the games fault. witcher 1 refuses to work inn cossfire  but a random indie game will work no problem.

maybe they just thought "hey, we have this excellent cooler, why bother trying to fit the same cooling in 2/3rds of the space?" and just slapped it on as-is, only relocating the heatpipes to be on the gpu. I also imagine they just don't see a reason to shrink it, after all cooler is better even if a smaller heatsink would have been enough. It just looks a bit silly ^^

I see them using a large cooler to hit the performance target not to be lazy

Looks massive compared to the Fury X, Yikes.

Also, that extension wow. What is that cooling? The Fury X doesn't even extend nearly that far out.

How hot is this thing going to get?

I feel like this is a card filling a niche that isn't quite necessary. If you want more raw performance than the 390X, just crossfire two 390's. If you want a better single GPU, get the Fury X.

Are you both really that worried about your Nvidia stocks? Don't worry, Nvidia is doing well.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

which is the games fault. witcher 1 refuses to work inn cossfire  but a random indie game will work no problem.

yes, that's why consumers should buy one card. it works better most of the time.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

maybe they just thought "hey, we have this excellent cooler, why bother trying to fit the same cooling in 2/3rds of the space?" and just slapped it on as-is, only relocating the heatpipes to be on the gpu. I also imagine they just don't see a reason to shrink it, after all cooler is better even if a smaller heatsink would have been enough. It just looks a bit silly ^^

Only this is actually a new cooler: what they had was the tri x and vapor x which are granted, not small, but not this massive. It is possible however, that they designed this one for the 390 and 390x and just recycled it for the Fury but again, if you're recycling a design why not recycling the nice and elegant one and not the so-massive-it-will-sag-and-not-fit-90%-of-cases cooler

-------

Current Rig

-------

The big cooler is important strategically.

Remember AMD has two other Fiji offerings. The Fury X and the R9 nano. Both are small, understated elegant solutions. They will not appeal to people who like giant epeen GPUs. So AMD needs to use the Fury non-x to cater to that crowd.

Remember AMD has two other Fiji offerings. The Fury X and the R9 nano. Both are small, understated elegant solutions. They will not appeal to people who like giant epeen GPUs. So AMD needs to use the Fury non-x to cater to that crowd.

Not saying you are not right, but if that is the case those people need to be shot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's fucking dumb, sad and very true. It's also coming mostly from my fellow Muricans who think bigger is better (not sure what the fuck everyone is compensating for). I prefer elegance and finesse.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

if i wasn't skipping this generation i would grab 2 Fijix2 and water cool them. 4 gpus in the same space as 2 normal ones.

That's fucking dumb, sad and very true. It's also coming mostly from my fellow Muricans who think bigger is better (not sure what the fuck everyone is compensating for). I prefer elegance and finesse.

Well desktop users tend to prefer performance over portability or power consumption (see laptops) so having a big case decked with the best components and 1-2 midget cards would be a bit jaring for some. Sure it's only looks but if looks didn't matter we wouldn't be buying new cards and other components every few years ;)

Well desktop users tend to prefer performance over portability or power consumption (see laptops) so having a big case decked with the best components and 1-2 midget cards would be a bit jaring for some. Sure it's only looks but if looks didn't matter we wouldn't be buying new cards and other components every few years ;)

Some desktop users but if that was the case for everybody the mitx market wouldn't be exploding right now with tons of new cases and power supplies for really small form factors.

-------

Current Rig

-------

for fury, i rather go with the reference design. Looks much nicer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Some desktop users but if that was the case for everybody the mitx market wouldn't be exploding right now with tons of new cases and power supplies for really small form factors.

That is true, but you have to take note. Not everyone is buying those cases...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Looks awesome, but like with the GTX 660, they should have extended the PCB so the heatsink is balanced over it. This might cause some severe overhang possibly.

No need to make the PCB unnecessarily long. It will actually help keep the card cooler by having the back open like that. Air can simply flow through easily, unobstructed. The more air you can blow through the cooler with less resistance, the cooler the card will run.

Gonna be good for cooling and noise levels. The third fan gets fantastic airflow straight through the rad and up towards the top of the case. Instead of bouncing the air off the heat sink and pushing it out the side of the rad.

^This.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The market is trending towards micro ATX and mini ITX. There's a good reason the Fury Nano was the most exciting thing at the reveal. I disagree with your assessment of why people want bigger cards.

Old habits die hard. A lot of people remember the days when cards were harder to cool and you need gigantic cases with a bajillion fans to cool them. People have been conditioned to think that way for years. We also see this problem in people recommending power supplies. An r9 290, as power hungry as it is, can be safely run on a 500W power supply, but you will still see people say ridiculous things like you need a 650W power supply for a 290. That also comes from years of using inefficient hardware.

Hardware has come a long way from what it used to be. We don't need giant power supplies and we don't need giant cases to cool our hardware. That's usually how it is with technology. We find ways to make things more compact and more powerful at the same time.

The market is trending towards micro ATX and mini ITX. There's a good reason the Fury Nano was the most exciting thing at the reveal. I disagree with your assessment of why people want bigger cards.

Old habits die hard. A lot of people remember the days when cards were harder to cool and you need gigantic cases with a bajillion fans to cool them. People have been conditioned to think that way for years. We also see this problem in people recommending power supplies. An r9 290, as power hungry as it is, can be safely run on a 500W power supply, but you will still see people say ridiculous things like you need a 650W power supply for a 290. That also comes from years of using inefficient hardware.

Hardware has come a long way from what it used to be. We don't need giant power supplies and we don't need giant cases to cool our hardware. That's usually how it is with technology. We find ways to make things more compact and more powerful at the same time.

Well that's what i'm saying. It's not a matter of NEED but WANT. I didn't NEED 2 480 monsta rads but i WANTED them.

Dat tiny PCB. I wonder if these cards can be air cooled at that size, when we move to 14nm FinFet next year? Based on broadwell, the actual hz doesn't seem to move upwards anyways. Would have preferred to have a perforated backplate, extend to the end of the cooler. Would still allow for air to pass through, but look much nicer, and make the card more rigid.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You also have to remember that now, more than ever, people are more concerned with noise, temperatures and efficiency (not so much efficiency, but it's becoming more of a thing). 

That being said, in order to keep a high-performance GPU running cool and quiet under full loads requires a some what over-sized and over-designed cooler. With many cards (look at the Gigabyte G1, for example) the coolers seem like major over-kill at stock clocks, but overclocking is also becoming very common. Overclocking brings along with it significantly more heat output. 

With regards to running a 290 on a 500w PSU - what can be done and what is ideal/recommended are two different things. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

... We also see this problem in people recommending power supplies. An r9 290, as power hungry as it is, can be safely run on a 500W power supply, but you will still see people say ridiculous things like you need a 650W power supply for a 290. That also comes from years of using inefficient hardware. ...

That phenomena mainly comes from very cheap PSUs that use there load peak wattage as the advertised number and have like 15 Amp on the 5V rail.

Dat tiny PCB. I wonder if these cards can be air cooled at that size, when we move to 14nm FinFet next year? Based on broadwell, the actual hz doesn't seem to move upwards anyways. Would have preferred to have a perforated backplate, extend to the end of the cooler. Would still allow for air to pass through, but look much nicer, and make the card more rigid.

Looking at the back side, there appears to be support material there already (the black bar pattern). It's probably more rigid that it looks. Sapphire doesn't tend to skimp on their coolers/card designs. Not from the last generation or two on their high-end stuff anyways. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

No one has mentioned that it doesn't have 4096 Stream processors, only has 3584

Wasn't that already known?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler