48fps for movies...yay or nay?

solomongrundy

I was looking at the Hobbit trailer here (http://www.hfrmovies.com/TheHobbitDesolationOfSmaug48fps.mp4

) which is supposed to be at 48fps , and to me it looks like crap. It's too smooth and makes it look like somebody shot it with a Sony handycam. I'm not sold yet.

It might look better in 3d but I don't have first hand experience with that.

I like the way 48fps looks, especially the horses or any other fast movements just look a lot more natural in the hfr version of the film  :)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

It is probably meant for 3D as 3D splits up the frames so 24FPS per eye I believe is how it works, don't quote me on it though.

120 fps please. :3

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't notice a difference...I've only watched 24 fps movies so I have nothing to compare to. I've either used a CRT or a 60hz monitor my whole life. So......yay?

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I vote 'yay'!

48 FPS makes the wide panning shots of mountains actually look smooth and natural, while 24 is just to jittery.. Also, you can actually see detail in fast paced action scenes instead of generic blurs

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I think it's definitely an interesting approach. It is a lot smoother than the "more cinematic" 24 fps but as of yet I can't tell if this is good or bad. Personally I shoot everything 24 fps ~180deg shutter, but I think you should always give innovation room to breathe, it could turn out to be something grand! :)

It's a minor improvement. Not worth the amount of fuss around it though. As others have said, it's kinda nice when their running around on horses and stuff (the Radagast sled scene was particularly enjoyable because of it, I feel) and it's probably helpful for stereoscopic 3D.

I'm with Linus.  More FPS equals more better.

Now, what I don't like are those TVs that take the content and try to form these intermediate frames in order to artificially increase the content's framerate.  Then it just looks terrible.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I disagree with you all. 24fps looks more cinematic . Here's the same trailer on Youtube

The high frame rate trailer in my original post makes me sick.

Watching this was like playing at 60FPS for the first time. Honestly I really like how smooth it looks when there are those panning shots of the mountain and the fast action scenes. I feel like it's much more pleasing to the eyes and for me feel like I can follow the pictures better.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I don't know, I feel like something as close to the refresh rate of your set would be the best thing for looks and smoothness, but at the same time, the 48p looks weird. Not better or worse, but some of the motion really pops while others don't. It almost seems like in that first trailer, while I'm sure it is, that the framerate isn't constant from scene to scene.

I like it!

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I personally opt for at least 60 for movies and 100 for games, making more frames and making it smooth = more work - but if done properly it is a better choice.

the worst thing i disliked about anything lower than 60 is that I can see stutter (personal problem obviously)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

I dunno, I personally like 24 frames in movies, it feels a ton better, because when you watch the VGHS season 2 trailer (the 1080p option makes it go at 48 frames), everything just looks sped up rather than in normal motion, 

http://www.rocketjump.com/?video=vghs-season-2-trailer-hfr

Probably because you were brought-up on crap (i.e. 24 fps), and you are used to it.

The following is always true, and I really don't care what anyone has to say:

- more pixels

- more frames per second

- more colors

I will take 80 billion pixels on a cellphone, 5600 FPS on a PC, and 9.2 trillion distinct colors on any screen, any day, if not more. :)

More. More. More.

48 frames looks to weird and I feel it's such a distraction. 

24 frames will always be king

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

48FPS just isn't enough, but it's nice that they're pushing it further.

Probably because you were brought-up on crap (i.e. 24 fps), and you are used to it.

The following is always true, and I really don't care what anyone has to say:

- more pixels

- more frames per second

- more colors

I will take 80 billion pixels on a cellphone, 5600 FPS on a PC, and 9.2 trillion distinct colors on any screen, any day, if not more. :)

More. More. More.

not really, I play PC games, the reason more frames is better in that scenario is because of the fact that you have an active input, and you are controlling it, you will feel a more tangible difference with games, but when it comes to movies, 24fps just plain looks better.

Why? because when you look at anything that happens fast, you never see all of it right? so that's why I feel 24 frames is better, in that case, it just feels more natural,  48 frames feels weird because in real life, you don' t have this buttery smooth feeling, dunno.

and no, don't say I was brought up with crap, I take that to offense as my parents are great

Yeah it's definitely different. The large panning shots look a better but the mid-close up fast paced shots make the actors and sets (maybe because a lot of the set is green-screened rather than real) look disjunct and movement has the illusion of being sped up.

I thought I'd like higher fps, but I'm not sure now.

We are all used to 24fps so it's no surprise. If movies were all 48fps from the get go there'd be more reaction to then watching a 24fps movie than vice versa. People will get used to it, you can't judge HFR movies after watching 2.5hours when everything else you've ever watched has been in 24fps.

I would like to see 60 FPS, though 48 makes everything seem real to me. It's not like i'm watching a movie but i'm actually there.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Waiting for 144...

Seriosly, give me ONE GOOD Reason why a lower Framerate is better? And dont give me the more cinematic idiocy.

Looks good, much smoother and gets rid of any motion blur. I like it  :)

Damn that looked stuttery......

not even 24 fps movie stutters this badly for me.

How can you play games if your computer can't even play 48fps HD video?  :P

I would like to see 60 FPS, though 48 makes everything seem real to me. It's not like i'm watching a movie but i'm actually there.

We'll probably never see 60fps as theatre projectors run and 24hz, meaning they'll only shoot movies in multiples of 24, 48, etc. 

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers