48fps for movies...yay or nay?

solomongrundy

Yeah it's definitely different. The large panning shots look a better but the mid-close up fast paced shots make the actors and sets (maybe because a lot of the set is green-screened rather than real) look disjunct and movement has the illusion of being sped up.

I thought I'd like higher fps, but I'm not sure now.

We are all used to 24fps so it's no surprise. If movies were all 48fps from the get go there'd be more reaction to then watching a 24fps movie than vice versa. People will get used to it, you can't judge HFR movies after watching 2.5hours when everything else you've ever watched has been in 24fps.

I agree, large panning shots are much better in higher FPS

It's nice for the smoothness of cinematics, but furthermore I'd say no..

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

48 FPS in 3D actually creates a illusion of real life, so it adds a a lot of realism. *facepalm* And for me it is more immersive, i like both 24 and 48 fps. Probably because ive been on 15 fps my whole life.

Watching this is was like playing at 60FPS for the first time. Honestly I really like how smooth it looks when there are those panning shots of the mountain and the fast action scenes. I feel like it's much more pleasing to the eyes and for me feel like I can follow the pictures better.

Agreed, that is an awesome feeling and we are finally going to live it up in movies 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I prefer 60 FPS as that seems fluid for me. I've tried to watch 24 FPS and found it unbearable. 

Most of all movies you watched in theatres were filmed in 24fps. I call bull

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

48 is better then 24. Its just maths......

Seriously though I like 48 fps more, I think it looks better and smoother. What do people mean by "cinematic"? Is that just a way of saying I like rough and jittery motion because I am used to it and it makes me think I'm in a cinema?

Okay, now that I'm on a computer that can actually handle a 48fps 1920x1080 video...

You can tell in that Hobbit trailer that some of the content was converted to 48fps through post-processing, and it looks stuttery and sloppy.

Whereas in that VGHS trailer someone posted, the 48fps content there looked totally smooth and awesome.

So yeah. More FPS equals better. When it's done right.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I personally find an increase in FPS to really matter more for the actual responsiveness between the input and the display than anything else. I don't think it would really matter for movies, as long as nothing is choppy.

It is pretty crazy that we are forced to watch movies at such horrible FPS. Like for instance the cameras used to film inception captured at 30k FPS and we see it at 30 at best. -2 points for Hollywood.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

And I think the 48FPS is very noticeable.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning