Jayz2cents' video on the Fury X

Sauron

The only conspiracy theory here is how Fury X reviewers are too afraid to come out and say how disappointed they are with the card. 

Um, every review I've seen mentions that it's not as fast and that it's a little disappointing. Literally the opposite of what you're saying here. No they're not saying "OMG THIS IS FUCKING SHIT!" but they are clearly saying it's disappointing, verbatim.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1) We don't have a large sample of Fury X cards out in the wild yet to know if this is as bad and as widespread of a problem. Kinda like Linus mentions his card sample was D.O.A. that doesn't means a very significant number of cards will be. It might be that most of them will have coil whine, we don't know as of yet. As I said I rather focus more on water pump reliability which could be a hell of a lot more serious

2) By your own definition then, here are the insane levels:

gpu-temps.gif

For one, those are ryan shrouts nubmers, so i distrust them to begin with. And those are reference coolers on the Nvidia cards, which are all shite. also 2-3 °C above 80 are still pretty safe. It just get's annoying when the cooler runs loud because of this. But that's what custom coolers are for. They run the cards at mid 70s when overclocked to the max while being silent. They could also run them in the low 30s, i wouldn't care. If the chip wasn't damaged at 90-100 °C it could also run at 130 °C as long as it's quiet...

But the Fury X doesn't know any of that. There's only one full speed water cooler and that's it. This has that bitter taste of Titan cards, except it doesn't stack up to a Titan.

who cares...

For one, those are ryan shrouts nubmers, so i distrust them to begin with. And those are reference coolers on the Nvidia cards, which are all shite. also 2-3 °C above 80 are still pretty safe. It just get's annoying when the cooler runs loud because of this. But that's what custom coolers are for. They run the cards at mid 70s when overclocked to the max while being silent. They could also run them in the low 30s, i wouldn't care. If the chip wasn't damaged at 90-100 °C it could also run at 130 °C as long as it's quiet...

But the Fury X doesn't know any of that. There's only one full speed water cooler and that's it. This has that bitter taste of Titan cards, except it doesn't stack up to a Titan.

Well duh: a water cooler is the reference cooler. Of course reference to reference is fair. I do agree that the temps seem high and I definitely think he failed to disclose the 290x is non-reference (I'm 99.99% sure a 290x just cannot run under 80c unless your room temps are like 0c) so that is a sore point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That is what happens, when you launch revolutionary technology.

You mean literal launch? From your car? :P

Youre a moron, they stated they are fixing the coil while (its to do with the pump btw) before consumer release, also how is it a shitty product? its clearly a step forward for GPUs, youre just too much of an idiot to oversee your fanboyness.

Please refrain from abusing other users.

The 970 or 980 doesn't perform anywhere near the Titan or 980 Ti but the 390X is fairly close to the Fury.

It's not the LEAP I was hoping for. I wanted AMD to be competitive because I know when Pascal comes out things are going to change and if AMD is still riding the Fiji chip, which we know they will be....how badly are they going to get beaten? This isn't even Nvidia's HMB2 tech and the Fury is losing.  Scary to think.

It is like Nvidia knows things. Let's not buy into HMB1 it's not worth it... check.  Round 1 Nvidia.

Don't worry the Fury X isn't going to beat out top cards. Round 2 Nvidia.

Pascal will blow people's socks off. 4x the Titan X performance.  We will have to wait and see about that. AMD what's your next card going to be?

Actually the 390x is on par with 980 and Fury X is on par with 980ti, so I'd say the difference is quite the same.

What do you mean "NVidia's HBM2"? AMD invented it with SK Hynix. If anything, AMD will probably have access to HBM 2 before NVidia as well. We still haven't seen the potential of HBM yet, but I'm sure we will. Why else would NVidia want to use it as well?

There is no way Pascal is going to be 4x performance. I'm actually a bit worried about Pascal. AMD will release Greenland next year; a 14nm FinFet card with HBM 2. NVidia still hasn't landed a contract with Global Foundries, so it is not official that Pascal will be 14nm FF as well. If not, then they are forced to use TSMC's 16 nm FinFet+ technology. And knowing TSMC, that is probably going to be delayed like everything else. On top of that, NVidia has no proper experience with HBM, so Pascal might be even more delayed. It would not surprise me to see Greenland launch before Pascal.

As it stands now, Fury X is competitive with 980ti on stock. On OC, 980ti pulls off, but not all OC's. Even if they do, we still need to see what the Fury X can do when unlocked.

Okay the amount of jayz2cents hate here is just unbelievable. So just because he forgot to turn off V sync and uses 75 FOV means he is a biased individual? Really guys? 

Can you not? 

No that just makes him incompetent. The bias is because he favours NVidia and calls himself on the green team. Sure it's nice that he is open about it; does in fact make him more credible, but you have to bear that in mind when watching his videos and listening to his arguments. That goes for reviews of both brands btw.

But keep in mind, coil whine isn't something that is stable and consisten. One might blow your ears out while another might be silent. 

While I appreciate having jayz2cents do fan and pump noise tests for graphic cards, coil whine is really too much of a random luck more so than a something that can be quantified. (Unless I'm proven otherwise).

Exactly. I could hear the coil whine (or buzz) in his video. But since he is the only reviewer to actually point this out, it seems to not be an actual issue, but more of a one off.

That's not the issue: his reaction was the issue. Now this is not verifiable but this is also because of his reaction. His original video had a good 5 minutes rant on it saying how the witcher 3 was a crappy shit fucking port, how he wouldn't be using it for benchmarks anymore and how it was such a shit game and what not. Only afterwards it was pointed out how he forgot to turn off vsync and then he edited the rant out of the video and redid the benchmarks.

Anyone can make a mistake. A supposedly professional reviewer not turning off vsync however? That's just profoundly stupid: you basically run the game dozens of times over and over and over on several cards, several resolutions, yet after hours of testing not once he bothered to check his settings to see if it was indeed his fucking fault for not turning off vsync?

Let's say it wasn't his fault (it was, but for the sake of argument) The least you can do is admit you made a mistake, apologizing, not trying to bury it by editing the bad parts out of the video. Sorry but if you have a big fucking mouth to talk trash about the witcher 3 you better be diligent in your fucking testing and not make a rookie mistake like that and then pretend it never happened.

Look at how the guy acts, he is constantly talking down to it's audience, calls everyone an idiot without a flinch (even other youtubers, he even indirectly attacked Linus for moving to Vessel in fact ) yet he has made some pretty terrible mistakes like this he never owns up to. Why would I listen or trust anything an insecure person like him has to say then?

I do believe he admitted it? But either way, removing the 5 min rant and fix the benchmarks was probably a good idea tbh. No reason to waste peoples time showing something, that he then corrects. I'd probably do the same. Like you said, everyone makes mistakes, but man was it a big one. Seriously wtf.

If you read the post, it sorta does: him making a massive mistake like that vsync thing and then obfuscating it means he could potentially get something wrong in his methodology and never accept it. Look I usually look at a consensus of reviews and benchmarks by several reviewers because we know mistakes can happen, oversights might occur, etc. However I need this reviewers to be candid and lighthearted about it and not abrasive and arrogant. Ironically enough I do not think he has an inherit Nvidia bias like many others do, I know he has been more than fair to AMD in the past (check his APU videos) however I just cannot deal with his attitude because is not only a huge detriment for objectivity like I said but makes for quite annoying videos to watch vs Linus and Luke just rolling with the punches and dick jokes when they totally got screwed on their Fury X review

Good point. I did not think about it that way. I do hope he generally admits his faults and show them though. He might be a little biased/skewed to NVidia, but I don't have the feeling he outright lies or covers up his mistakes. At least not yet, and that is the key: Admittance of error can usually be forgiven after all.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Good point. I did not think about it that way. I do hope he generally admits his faults and show them though. He might be a little biased/skewed to NVidia, but I don't have the feeling he outright lies or covers up his mistakes. At least not yet, and that is the key: Admittance of error can usually be forgiven after all.

I wouldn't say intentionally so however results are open for interpetation most of the time. For example with the Fury X 2 reviewers might get the exact same card and come up with virtually the same benchmarks while arriving to completely different conclusions: One saying "Not good enough, looses to the 980ti" while another saying "Very good performance for what you're getting here" because of other things like size and temps. 

Or to flip it around OC3D minimizing the price of the 390x and praising the card while Hardware cannucks actually do point out how it just doesn't makes any sense at all when you consider the 290x 8gb variants exists, for substantially less money. There's an objective truth to the performance numbers on this products yet whenever or not they are worthwhile for a consumer is open to a more subjective interpretation, in which case personal character and personality counts as it would for any other critic.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I haven't looked too closely into the whole Fury stuff but from what I've seen so far is it just me or did AMD really optimize it for 4k and 4k only as it seems to fall short on loweer resolutions compared to 980ti but not on 4k, whih is a bit strange to me.

I haven't looked too closely into the whole Fury stuff but from what I've seen so far is it just me or did AMD really optimize it for 4k and 4k only as it seems to fall short on loweer resolutions compared to 980ti but not on 4k, whih is a bit strange to me.

That's how AMD card have been, take a look at the 970 vs 290x vs 980 vs 390x  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sure.

It actually wont.... but its only because triple titans actually bottleneck a 5960x overclocked. 4 Ti's certain have more power and thus will also be bottlenecked.

Exactly. I could hear the coil whine (or buzz) in his video. But since he is the only reviewer to actually point this out, it seems to not be an actual issue, but more of a one off.

Are you so sure about that?

HardwareCanucks pointed it out before Jay did ( at 8:04):

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Are you so sure about that?

HardwareCanucks pointed it out before Jay did ( at 8:04):

Yes? The GPU whine he calls it, is the Cooler Master pump, that he says AMD is working on. It's not the electrolytes/Capacitors, which usually makes the buzzing noise. It's not Coil whine, which comes from the coils in the inductors, and Jayz video does not show coil whine, but capacitor buzz. Yet another example of him not knowing wtf he's talking about.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Knowing how it's an AMD card, it probably won't clock much farther past 1200.

That's not a biased statement at all. :P

I'm starting to believe that it's basically a Hawaii with HMB ram. It doesn't perform like a completely different chip with new ram. It behaves more like a super Hawaii.

Definitely not a Hawaii, just look at the power efficiency. ;) 

But I get what you're saying. AMD actually used architectural design elements from Hawaii and Tonga in creating the new Fiji architecture. I think I remember they were talking about this on the last PCper podcast.

just because i know jay is an obvious fanboy of nvidia this review doesnt surprise me at all.... comparing a reference model vs aftermarket ones......lol... ofc the aftermarket models will  pull ahead.... try to compare reference vs reference and the diference would be smaller by a lot i think...

He did compare reference vs reference. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yeah it just is, yet the 980ti it's just as fast and usually faster and it costs 350 dollars less. So how is it best? 

You may want to modify your position.

https://youtu.be/B2-gCXscH04?t=5m3s

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yes? The GPU whine he calls it, is the Cooler Master pump, that he says AMD is working on. It's not the electrolytes/Capacitors, which usually makes the buzzing noise. It's not Coil whine, which comes from the coils in the inductors, and Jayz video does not show coil whine, but capacitor buzz. Yet another example of him not knowing wtf he's talking about.

Except that he said it was both and he already did a video on coil whine and the causes. Yet another example of you not knowing wtf you're talking about?

Also he didn't get a test model like the rest of the reviewers he actually got a sale unit from a distributer which is why it took him so long to get the review out. This was suppose to be fixed before sales units where shipped according to AMD.

Except that he said it was both and he already did a video on coil whine and the causes. Yet another example of you not knowing wtf you're talking about?

Also he didn't get a test model like the rest of the reviewers he actually got a sale unit from a distributer which is why it took him so long to get the review out. This was suppose to be fixed before sales units where shipped according to AMD.

You have a source/timestamp for that? All he said in the linked video was about the pump noise. That is what was demonstrated in the video (hardware canucks).

If you mean Jays video, yeah he mentioned both pump and VRM noise. That was the entire point of the discussion, that only Jay had experienced any noise from the VRM's. Jay incorrectly calls it coil whine, which it isn't, as the noise comes from the capacitors, not the inductor. If you mean that hardware canucks had vrm noise too, please source it. So yeah I do know what I'm talking about.

This was suppose to be fixed before sales units where shipped according to AMD.

Hoped ≠ supposed

Nor does it mean that the Fury X's that have rolled out since the issue was passed along to AMD haven't been addressed.  It could just be a limited number of day one adopters who may be affected.  It's a concern & something to watch for, but not an absolute.  More time, data, sample size and end user reports will provide a clearer and more accurate picture for us. 

We do have one end user here in the tread that has also repeated these concerns, from what I recall.

You have a source/timestamp for that? All he said in the linked video was about the pump noise. That is what was demonstrated in the video (hardware canucks).

If you mean Jays video, yeah he mentioned both pump and VRM noise. That was the entire point of the discussion, that only Jay had experienced any noise from the VRM's. Jay incorrectly calls it coil whine, which it isn't, as the noise comes from the capacitors, not the inductor. If you mean that hardware canucks had vrm noise too, please source it. So yeah I do know what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/iEwLtqbBw90?t=8m48s

Call it what you will; it doesn't make the sound any more acceptable.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCb6oiJ6EI&feature=youtu.be&t=8m4s

He does say GPU whine.  Probably wouldn't hurt reach out to HWC to clarify.

Yeah it's an odd term. But the only thing he talks about in detail and demoes, is the pump.

https://youtu.be/iEwLtqbBw90?t=8m48s

Call it what you will; it doesn't make the sound any more acceptable.

What exactly was your point again? That is capacitor buzz, not coil/inductor whine. How exactly does this prove that Jay isn't the only one who experience it, which was my point?

What exactly was your point again? That is capacitor buzz, not coil/inductor whine. How exactly does this prove that Jay isn't the only one who experience it, which was my point?

My point, again, is the noise is atrocious and no more acceptable. I do not care where the sound is sourced from.