Jayz2cents' video on the Fury X

Sauron

I would consider this to be mini-news, if they are not please feel free to move the topic. And delete it if by chance it is a repost.

The reasons behind me posting this are the following:

I was a bit disappointed with LTT's Fury X video because their card (for no fault of their own) was DOA. Furthermore, Jay is amongst my top 3 sources for benchmarks and pc hardware reviews in general, he knows what he is doing and I tend to trust him more than most websites. He is also one of the few who consistently provides overclocked performance.

What I see is a bit of a let down in my opinion. While the card is an engineering feat and pushes a new and cool technology, it falls short against its obvious competitor, the 980ti. At stock speeds it holds its own, but its downfall is ultimately overclocking performance.  I don't think anyone who is thinking of purchasing a card of this power and price is going to leave it at stock speeds if at all possible, and the 980ti has already shown of being estremely capable (on average) on that front. Overclocking is not a perfect science, but it is a pretty safe bet that most Fury Xs will not go far from what Jay could obtain, whereas it's pretty common to see 980tis over 1500mhz. Ultimately I feel it should have been priced lower, but with the water cooling I'm not sure it would have been possible. For the time being, it's not going to make its way alongside the 980ti in my signature.

-edit-

Apparently the Fury X is sold out. I don't know how many they even had available, so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems despite everything amd may be getting a bit of oxigen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, his video was a bit of a shock for me, as I have been seeing some very conflicting results from reviews.

In jay's video the fury x is trading blows with an overclocked 980 classy, while amd makes it out to be a shitwreker of sorts, where it handily beats out the 980 ti in the same price bracket...

Mabye its drivers, as amd isnt very promt with those, and there could be better compatibility with HBM...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I just don't understand AMD saying it's an overclockers dream when you can hardly overclock the damn thing. Even if they managed more down the road it makes no sense to brand it that way when you can't do it on day one.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

No, it should not have been priced lower, and I wish people would stop saying this. The reference 980 ti runs ridiculous hot and if you want to overclock it you have to buy a non reference card or buy a water block, both of which cost more money. The Fury X is priced appropriately.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I just don't understand AMD saying it's an overclockers dream when you can hardly overclock the damn thing. Even if they managed more down the road it makes no sense to brand it that way when you can't do it on day one.

I think its a locked voltage issues where they need to unlock it driver side or programs need to add function for it. they do feel a bit slow on the driver side. and they do have 3 other FIJI GPUs to still release so I feel once that happens it will be a bit better.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Jay mentionned on tech talk yesterday that it's possible he didn't have the best drivers for his tests, mostly amd's fault here.

Also I wonder if the gpu and HBM share the same voltage since they are on the same interposer, would explain why it can't be changed.

I was also very disappointed by the Fury X. I am in the Green team. But I would seriously want AMD to compete and give out better cards so Nvidia takes the finger out of their ass.

No, it should not have been priced lower, and I wish people would stop saying this. The reference 980 ti runs ridiculous hot and if you want to overclock it you have to buy a non reference card or buy a water block, both of which cost more money. The Fury X is priced appropriately.

Where did you see that? It does not run ridiculously hot.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Oh, only 78 MHz overclock? That's brutal and a little crushing for AMD.

I was also very disappointed by the Fury X. I am in the Green team. But I would seriously want AMD to compete and give out better cards so Nvidia takes the finger out of their ass.

Same here, competition is a good thing. AMD came so close with this.

Jay is mediocre when it comes to benches. We are talking about the guy who plays BF4 @ 75 fov, and did a full bench run in Witcher 3 with vsync on (and used the results in his vid). He is ok, and I do watch a lot of his stuff, but he is an admitted green team person. He tries to justify this with numbers not lying, but really, we all know that is not true, as you can just use certain settings and games, that favour one over the other. To his defence, it does seem like he doesn't use GameWorks, so that is very much competent.

But in this review, he uses only massively overclocked NVidia cards against a ~50mhz OC'd Fury X. He states this and then does a quick run of factory 980ti's, though we don't know what speed they run at, and compares that to the 50mhz OC'd Fury X, and uses that tiny oc against it. Not exactly fair.

I do get the critique of the small OC of the card, since AMD themselves, have stated this is an OC's dream card. Let's see, once the voltage regulation is unlocked, which we might see on software soon. As long as the MOSFETS can handle it, it should be good all around. The critique on not being able to OC HBM is really dumb though. NOTHING comes even close to the HBM Fury X has, no matter how much OC the GDDR5 vram gets, so what's the point? A new tech, that might not have the necessary headroom or stability in OC, as manufacturing is completely new. At least PCPer stated this was a complete non issue.

There is a reason why 980ti's are clocked the way they are: It is what NVidia can guarantee, so not all will be able to OC to 1500, or even 1300mhz. But at least he admits his bias, so just bear that in mind.

I was a bit disappointed with LTT's Fury X video because their card (for no fault of their own) was DOA.

Linus literally dropped the card out of his car. These things happen, who knows what had gone wrong. Maybe one of the HBM modules had lost contact to the interposer or something. That is what happens, when you launch revolutionary technology.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Precisely. You just gotta love the double standard here

290x? Oh let's warm up houses with that molten lava card omglolz

980ti? Oh it beats the Fury AMD can't compete omglolz

Yeah keep blindingly supporting Nvidia, go ahead and look forward to a future of nothing but botched fucking gameworks releases.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Fuckin luv Jayz channel

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

drivers can change everything

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Sad days for AMD they fail more and more, the lack of performance is understandable but the coil whine and pump noise is not, they should deliver top quality at that price, yet its fucking shitty product, only fanboys would buy this over a 980ti.

gpu-temps.gif

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I think its a locked voltage issues where they need to unlock it driver side or programs need to add function for it. they do feel a bit slow on the driver side. and they do have 3 other FIJI GPUs to still release so I feel once that happens it will be a bit better.

Isnt the low overclocking margins because of fury x using a similar underlying architecture to the 200 series, and just more cores?

the 290/ 290x barely overclocked, and this seems to be a similar story

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Sad days for AMD they fail more and more, the lack of performance is understandable but the coil whine and pump noise is not, they should deliver top quality at that price, yet its fucking shitty product, only fanboys would buy this over a 980ti.

Yeah I just love all the Nvidia cards with water coolers at that same price level and I can't remember when the 970 had widespread coil whine issues as well....wait...

-------

Current Rig

-------

gpu-temps.gif

Somebody doesn't believe in a custom fan profile.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Yea, the fact that is noise test is an outlier compared to other reviews mean it's a shitty product. What were you saying about fanboys again?

Jay is mediocre when it comes to benches. We are talking about the guy who plays BF4 @ 75 fov, and did a full bench run in Witcher 3 with vsync on (and used the results in his vid)...

He ran it with the frame limiter on 60, because the 60 limit is far right and unlimited is to the left of the 30 limit. I did it too for 5 minutes until I noticed.

Precisely. You just gotta love the double standard here

290x? Oh let's warm up houses with that molten lava card omglolz

980ti? Oh it beats the Fury AMD can't compete omglolz

Yeah keep blindingly supporting Nvidia, go ahead and look forward to a future of nothing but fucking botched fucking gameworks releases.

I still have problems with this. 290x is hotter by a little bit, it is 290w TDP meaning it can kick out 290J/s vs 980 Ti's 250 J/s. So yes 290x is "hotter", but NV's cooler doesn't exhaust the heat as fast so the die runs hotter.

Oh and 290x being a heater is overstated, Dual 780 Ti is a room heater. I can output > 600J/s max or over 600W of heating. (I use my PC as a room heater in the winter by running F@H)

Somebody doesn't believe in a custom fan profile.

Yea, just like I'm sure a custom fan profile would have helped a reference 290x.....

This guy is a big NVIDIA fanboy lol. Get his scummy video off the channel.

You can instantly tell he is biased. I love how he says the 980ti can overclock more when he try and overclock the fury correctly...

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...