Jayz2cents' video on the Fury X

Sauron

all the hating, just stop it, AMD makes cards, Nvidia makes cards, both really well priced and if either one would stop doing that the prices of the other would skyrocket. both cards are really good and it comes down to personal prefrence which one you buy, i saw the hardwareinfotv video and they ran their benchmarks over and over again because they were performing the exact same... it comes down to the features the card has, nvidia has hdmi 2.0, AMD does not. AMD has a watercooled card and it is smaller, nvidia has an aircooled card and it is larger

That's true, but we can't just ignore overclocking performance. While this card would be awesome for a small form factor build (provided you can power it) in every other scenario a 980ti would end up performing better because of overclocking. This may change in the future, but right now at the same price the 980ti is a clearly winner for a performance oriented enthusiast like most of us here are. And this is coming from a guy who owns an amd card and has defended the 200 series throughout the last year because I thought they offered excellent value.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Who?

No really.

I have HWC, LTT, PcPer, Guru3D, OC3D, SweClockers, KitGuru, (no Fury though lol) Digital Storm, Tom's and a few others, but;

who is this clown?

He sounds like the Total Biscuit of tech, and that's about the lowest mark I can possibly grade anyone's channel

Why all the hate on total biscuit?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Shame. The rumored benchmarks had the Fury X significantly ahead of the 980ti. I want to applaud AMD but rebrands across the lower end range and a flagship with such new and exciting technology that is still worse than a 980ti.

Shame. The rumored benchmarks had the Fury X significantly ahead of the 980ti. I want to applaud AMD but rebrands across the lower end range and a flagship with such new and exciting technology that is still worse than a 980ti.

It's worst performing. It's not completely worst: for it's price it does come with a watercooler. Possibly a crappy one but a watercooler nontheless. Makes it a better option for a lot of people since yes you can get marginally better results with a 980ti (and I do have to stress "marginally" here, AMD made a mistake claiming it would beat the Titan but it's still not as if this card was slow by comparison, it's only a handful of frames most of the time, maybe 3 to 5% slower) but I'd take the better thermals any day.

But like I said previously, I would wanna see what we can get out of the Fury nonx version with a decent cooler like Trix or Vaporx from sapphire, I am thinking it might end up getting to Fury X levels for 100 less bucks just like the 290 was mostly a better choice than the 290x

-------

Current Rig

-------

Again, we have some people here saying this forum is filled with reasonable people and AMD fanboys, yet where the fuck were this comments when the 970 had widespread coil whine issues? Coil whine happens, more often than it should but it is inevitable. The real fucking criticism that should be leveled here is how AMD used a very unreliable fucking brand and AIO by Coolermaster that tends to die and I've only seen one person, a mod, made that point. Everybody else its focusing on coil whine, not on the fact that the card runs nearly 30 degrees cooler and quieter than the 980ti reference and nearly matches it's performance. Yes I said nearly, it is not equal or better. 

The coil whine on the 970s wasn't nearly as bad. I used to have two of them. One had almost none. The other one little when it ran into 100+ FPS. That's another thing, the Fury X seems to allways ahve coil whine, the 970 is very reasonable about it. Its completeley gone when you put it into a closed case.

The 970 had other very severe problems which i was very mad about and which was the reson i returned one of them for full price.

Temperatures on GPUs is rather unimportant as long as they don't reach insane levels (80+ °C). What  I'm more interested in is heatoutput and noise levels. And Maxwell does a very good job of containing both to a minimum. That being said, the Fury X is liquid cooled, which would be also very nice in the noise/ heatoutput regard because the heat is dumped directly out of the case - IF the pump was regulated adaptiveley and not just at constant max speeds. Stuff like this can be sorted out with a BIOS update I'm sure. But the coild whine remains. Lets hope it was just Jays sample with that issue. I'm curious to see if TekSyndicate and Linus do a review of the card (with an actual card this time, Linus! :P )

who cares...

Okay the amount of jayz2cents hate here is just unbelievable. So just because he forgot to turn off V sync and uses 75 FOV means he is a biased individual? Really guys? 

lol the denial is strong.

Just about EVERY GM204 and GM200 chip can hit 1400. Like I've never seen 1 GPU that can't hit that so ya.

And a lot of GM204s can hit 1500 Mhz, GM200s seem to have more difficultly tho but maybe it's cuz more are reference? 

Says the guy with an AMD gpu.

This forum is filled with two types of people. AMD fanboys and those that like performance. 

Can you not? 

Pascal laptops guide

The coil whine on the 970s wasn't nearly as bad. I used to have two of them. One had almost none. The other one little when it ran into 100+ FPS. That's another thing, the Fury X seems to allways ahve coil whine, the 970 is very reasonable about it. Its completeley gone when you put it into a closed case.

The 970 had other very severe problems which i was very mad about and which was the reson i returned one of them for full price.

Temperatures on GPUs is rather unimportant as long as they don't reach insane levels (80+ °C). What  I'm more interested in is heatoutput and noise levels. And Maxwell does a very good job of containing both to a minimum. That being said, the Fury X is liquid cooled, which would be also very nice in the noise/ heatoutput regard because the heat is dumped directly out of the case - IF the pump was regulated adaptiveley and not just at constant max speeds. Stuff like this can be sorted out with a BIOS update I'm sure. But the coild whine remains. Lets hope it was just Jays sample with that issue. I'm curious to see if TekSyndicate and Linus do a review of the card (with an actual card this time, Linus! :P )

But keep in mind, coil whine isn't something that is stable and consisten. One might blow your ears out while another might be silent. 

While I appreciate having jayz2cents do fan and pump noise tests for graphic cards, coil whine is really too much of a random luck more so than a something that can be quantified. (Unless I'm proven otherwise).

Pascal laptops guide

1) We don't have a large sample of Fury X cards out in the wild yet to know if this is as bad and as widespread of a problem. Kinda like Linus mentions his card sample was D.O.A. that doesn't means a very significant number of cards will be. It might be that most of them will have coil whine, we don't know as of yet. As I said I rather focus more on water pump reliability which could be a hell of a lot more serious

2) By your own definition then, here are the insane levels:

gpu-temps.gif

-------

Current Rig

-------

Okay the amount of jayz2cents hate here is just unbelievable. So just because he forgot to turn off V sync and uses 75 FOV means he is a biased individual? Really guys? 

Can you not? 

That's not the issue: his reaction was the issue. Now this is not verifiable but this is also because of his reaction. His original video had a good 5 minutes rant on it saying how the witcher 3 was a crappy shit fucking port, how he wouldn't be using it for benchmarks anymore and how it was such a shit game and what not. Only afterwards it was pointed out how he forgot to turn off vsync and then he edited the rant out of the video and redid the benchmarks.

Anyone can make a mistake. A supposedly professional reviewer not turning off vsync however? That's just profoundly stupid: you basically run the game dozens of times over and over and over on several cards, several resolutions, yet after hours of testing not once he bothered to check his settings to see if it was indeed his fucking fault for not turning off vsync?

Let's say it wasn't his fault (it was, but for the sake of argument) The least you can do is admit you made a mistake, apologizing, not trying to bury it by editing the bad parts out of the video. Sorry but if you have a big fucking mouth to talk trash about the witcher 3 you better be diligent in your fucking testing and not make a rookie mistake like that and then pretend it never happened.

Look at how the guy acts, he is constantly talking down to it's audience, calls everyone an idiot without a flinch (even other youtubers, he even indirectly attacked Linus for moving to Vessel in fact ) yet he has made some pretty terrible mistakes like this he never owns up to. Why would I listen or trust anything an insecure person like him has to say then?

-------

Current Rig

-------

just because i know jay is an obvious fanboy of nvidia this review doesnt surprise me at all.... comparing a reference model vs aftermarket ones......lol... ofc the aftermarket models will  pull ahead.... try to compare reference vs reference and the diference would be smaller by a lot i think...

Difference is aftermarket designs of the Fury X won't exist because of its cooler and most people will probably be buying non-reference GTX980tis.

Difference is aftermarket designs of the Fury X won't exist because of its cooler and most people will probably be buying non-reference GTX980tis.

Right but the better ones that could actually make a large difference do also increase the overall price of the card. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Right but the better ones that could actually make a large difference do also increase the overall price of the card. 

They do indeed, I had a quick look on newegg and the only one I saw within 30 seconds was an EVGA ACX one at 679.00... although in my opinion if you're someone willing to drop $650 on a computer component chasing max performance the $20 difference isn't much.

better coolers are probably up to $50 more, I guess that's a more notable difference.

They do indeed, I had a quick look on newegg and the only one I saw within 30 seconds was an EVGA ACX one at 679.00... although in my opinion if you're someone willing to drop $650 on a computer component chasing max performance the $20 difference isn't much.

better coolers are probably up to $50 more, I guess that's a more notable difference.

Yep, and now suddenly we're talking about a 650 product vs a 680 product and more. In fact the comparable card would be the EVGA Hybrid which is 770 USD. For that much of course you are getting a far superior product to the Fury x even if it's over 100 bucks more expensive it's still worth it if you ask me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This guy is a big NVIDIA fanboy lol. Get his scummy video off the channel.

He is not biased. He has a preference. I have an MSI preference, but that doesn't mean that i look down upon ASUS etc.

Yep, and now suddenly we're talking about a 650 product vs a 680 product and more. In fact the comparable card would be the EVGA Hybrid which is 770 USD. For that much of course you are getting a far superior product to the Fury x even if it's over 100 bucks more expensive it's still worth it if you ask me.

I didn't even realize that EVGA card existed, I don't really follow the high end much.

Most people are buying the more basic non reference cards (standard acx, winforce and direct cu) which are not considerably more expensive all things relative when you're dropping $650 on a component (most people want to spend less than that on an entire system so...). I stand by my statement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the card (I quite like it), I just disagreed with the person I originally quoted :)

That's not the issue: his reaction was the issue. Now this is not verifiable but this is also because of his reaction. His original video had a good 5 minutes rant on it saying how the witcher 3 was a crappy shit fucking port, how he wouldn't be using it for benchmarks anymore and how it was such a shit game and what not. Only afterwards it was pointed out how he forgot to turn off vsync and then he edited the rant out of the video and redid the benchmarks.

Anyone can make a mistake. A supposedly professional reviewer not turning off vsync however? That's just profoundly stupid: you basically run the game dozens of times over and over and over on several cards, several resolutions, yet after hours of testing not once he bothered to check his settings to see if it was indeed his fucking fault for not turning off vsync?

Let's say it wasn't his fault (it was, but for the sake of argument) The least you can do is admit you made a mistake, apologizing, not trying to bury it by editing the bad parts out of the video. Sorry but if you have a big fucking mouth to talk trash about the witcher 3 you better be diligent in your fucking testing and not make a rookie mistake like that and then pretend it never happened.

Look at how the guy acts, he is constantly talking down to it's audience, calls everyone an idiot without a flinch (even other youtubers, he even indirectly attacked Linus for moving to Vessel in fact ) yet he has made some pretty terrible mistakes like this he never owns up to. Why would I listen or trust anything an insecure person like him has to say then?

Yeah we all know jayz2cents isn't too friendly nor isn't the best when it comes to ranting. But that doesn't make him more or less accurate. 

Pascal laptops guide

I didn't even realize that EVGA card existed, I don't really follow the high end much.

Most people are buying the more basic non reference cards (standard acx, winforce and direct cu) which are not considerably more expensive all things relative when you're dropping $650 on a component (most people want to spend less than that on an entire system so...). I stand by my statement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on the card (I quite like it), I just disagreed with the person I originally quoted :)

That's the thing: when it comes to high end cards most people actually don't get a reference card unless is for the explicit purpose of getting a custom water block. What AMD did here is making the stock cooler actually viable out of the box for a high end card user (well they intended to, reliability it's still to be confirmed)  but unsurprisingly, you can already get an EK custom water block for the Fury X. The way the high end market works its like this: either a really fancy non-reference air cooler or more often, a reference card to get a custom water block on it.

So actually you are right: if you're spending 650 on a GPU you might as well spend 680-700 for a proper cooler or 650+100 for a custom water block. In that sense however, a reference water cooler at 650 is a positive thing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah we all know jayz2cents isn't too friendly nor isn't the best when it comes to ranting. But that doesn't make him more or less accurate. 

If you read the post, it sorta does: him making a massive mistake like that vsync thing and then obfuscating it means he could potentially get something wrong in his methodology and never accept it. Look I usually look at a consensus of reviews and benchmarks by several reviewers because we know mistakes can happen, oversights might occur, etc. However I need this reviewers to be candid and lighthearted about it and not abrasive and arrogant. Ironically enough I do not think he has an inherit Nvidia bias like many others do, I know he has been more than fair to AMD in the past (check his APU videos) however I just cannot deal with his attitude because is not only a huge detriment for objectivity like I said but makes for quite annoying videos to watch vs Linus and Luke just rolling with the punches and dick jokes when they totally got screwed on their Fury X review

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bias compare on what? you sounds judgmental over everything he does, everyone makes mistakes but that doesn't mean we all makes mistakes all the time (although someone might do that)

why not just look at the number and charts if that is the most important parts for you?

about coil whine and pump noise, it's additional content that I found it provides extra value for his review, and if he is bias, he won't show the audiences what it sounds like.

at this point, his review is more valid than luke's video because he testing it personally while luke card is doa

if you have any question you can ask him personally while he haven't return that card.

don't like it, don't watch it. end of story.

:mellow:

Their cards don't clock like Maxwell, it's undeniable.

Allthough you get a million gigglehurts out of Maxwell overclocking, the performance gain percentage is pretty much in line with Kepler.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

1) We don't have a large sample of Fury X cards out in the wild yet to know if this is as bad and as widespread of a problem. Kinda like Linus mentions his card sample was D.O.A. that doesn't means a very significant number of cards will be. It might be that most of them will have coil whine, we don't know as of yet. As I said I rather focus more on water pump reliability which could be a hell of a lot more serious

2) By your own definition then, here are the insane levels:

Goto 16 min.

They said the performance of the first card was actually fine. They though it was D.O.A because it was showing artifacts and underperforming except it wasn't underperforming; Fury X is just slow.  

Bias compare on what? you sounds judgmental over everything he does, everyone makes mistakes but that doesn't mean we all makes mistakes all the time (although someone might do that)

why not just look at the number and charts if that is the most important parts for you?

about coil whine and pump noise, it's additional content that I found it provides extra value for his review, and if he is bias, he won't show the audiences what it sounds like.

at this point, his review is more valid than luke's video because he testing it personally while luke card is doa

if you have any question you can ask him personally while he haven't return that card.

don't like it, don't watch it. end of story.

I can, and do, get my numbers. It's relatively easy since there are many reviewers and outlets posting the numbers. You can pretend it's only about the numbers, but we know it's not. But I am not in the business of deterring anyone from viewing his videos though, you can all go right ahead. However there is valid criticism here imo. Doesn't negates a lot of his work though, it just makes it hard for me to ever watch again in the future.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Goto 16 min.

They said the performance of the first card was actually fine. They though it was D.O.A because it was showing artifacts and underperforming except it wasn't underperforming; Fury X is just slow.  

Oh, didn't catch the beginning. Though a far out, but funny, conspiracy theory would be that Linus is covering up for the fact he dropped it  :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can, and do, get my numbers. It's relatively easy since there are many reviewers and outlets posting the numbers. You can pretend it's only about the numbers, but we know it's not. But I am not in the business of deterring anyone from viewing his videos though, you can all go right ahead. However there is valid criticism here imo. Doesn't negates a lot of his work though, it just makes it hard for me to ever watch again in the future.

then don't

why you have to suffer from stuff that you don't like

it's not like you are forced to do that.

Pretending what? pretend to see numbers?? those number represent performance

why should I pretend about it?

I don't like barnekel or whatever his is name is

I don't like pwediepie or whatever his name is

heck I don't even like this jayz2penies (his name is so lame btw)

but I don't judge them over things I don't like because I know that's petty things to do.

of course you can shout your opinions, but why not just focus on what he cover and discuss that, because in the end your experience merely an opinion which is irrelevant for the context of this discussion.

You've already mention few times, you don't like him, we get it, so how about stop mention it again?

Oh, didn't catch the beginning. Though a far out, but funny, conspiracy theory would be that Linus is covering up for the fact he dropped it  :lol:

The only conspiracy theory here is how Fury X reviewers are too afraid to come out and say how disappointed they are with the card.