Jayz2cents' video on the Fury X

Sauron

Pascal should be 50% improvement from Maxwell most likely not 4x I suppose. Should be interesting though.

Jay is mediocre when it comes to benches. We are talking about the guy who plays BF4 @ 75 fov, and did a full bench run in Witcher 3 with vsync on (and used the results in his vid). He is ok, and I do watch a lot of his stuff, but he is an admitted green team person. He tries to justify this with numbers not lying, but really, we all know that is not true, as you can just use certain settings and games, that favour one over the other. To his defence, it does seem like he doesn't use GameWorks, so that is very much competent.

But in this review, he uses only massively overclocked NVidia cards against a ~50mhz OC'd Fury X. He states this and then does a quick run of factory 980ti's, though we don't know what speed they run at, and compares that to the 50mhz OC'd Fury X, and uses that tiny oc against it. Not exactly fair.

I do get the critique of the small OC of the card, since AMD themselves, have stated this is an OC's dream card. Let's see, once the voltage regulation is unlocked, which we might see on software soon. As long as the MOSFETS can handle it, it should be good all around. The critique on not being able to OC HBM is really dumb though. NOTHING comes even close to the HBM Fury X has, no matter how much OC the GDDR5 vram gets, so what's the point? A new tech, that might not have the necessary headroom or stability in OC, as manufacturing is completely new. At least PCPer stated this was a complete non issue.

There is a reason why 980ti's are clocked the way they are: It is what NVidia can guarantee, so not all will be able to OC to 1500, or even 1300mhz. But at least he admits his bias, so just bear that in mind.

Linus literally dropped the card out of his car. These things happen, who knows what had gone wrong. Maybe one of the HBM modules had lost contact to the interposer or something. That is what happens, when you launch revolutionary technology.

I don't agree with you on the first paragraph. He is not biased. It's true that he is team green not by choice but performance. The TitanX is the best GPU on the market. If you are doing overkill you will get 4x TitanX because AMD has no comparable flagship unit. He doesn't favor one card over another when testing- that would show up in the testing across multiple revierews

Honestly, the first thing I did with my 980ti is I overclocked the shit out of it- why not do that? If it's free performance I want it. Same with the Fury X, I'd do the same thing. Shame it overclocks so poorly. I hope when the voltage unlocks this card will destroy the 980ti. It has a maximum of 350W TDP after all :> there is so much headroom to play with.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Knowing how it's an AMD card, it probably won't clock much farther past 1200.

"Because it's AMD" is hardly the right way of judging a card. Most of the oc problems hawaii had were related to their vrms, which could very well not have been an issue on this card. Just because it turned out that way it doesn't mean it was predictable. Let's stick to the facts.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't agree with you on the first paragraph. He is not biased. It's true that he is team green not by choice but performance. The TitanX is the best GPU on the market. If you are doing overkill you will get 4x TitanX because AMD has no comparable flagship unit. He doesn't favor one card over another when testing- that would show up in the testing across multiple revierews

Honestly, the first thing I did with my 980ti is I overclocked the shit out of it- why not do that? If it's free performance I want it. Same with the Fury X, I'd do the same thing. Shame it overclocks so poorly. I hope when the voltage unlocks this card will destroy the 980ti. It has a maximum of 350W TDP after all :> there is so much headroom to play with.

The Titan X is not the best one on the market, it's a fucking rip off with an unnecessary and pointless amount of vram it will never get used. What you mean to say is that it was the best option at the time he revised his skunkworks rig. And a big part of that is because he didn't have to pay a fucking dime to get what most other people would be fucking idiots to pay: 3000 dollars for 3 of them. The 980ti its superior to the titan in every single aspect simply because it has sufficient vram for what the card can actually power and no, the titan x can no longer be considered a workstation card without double precision which was removed from it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

"Because it's AMD" is hardly the right way of judging a card. Most of the oc problems hawaii had were related to their vrms, which could very well not have been an issue on this card. Just because it turned out that way it doesn't mean it was predictable. Let's stick to the facts.

:mellow:

Their cards don't clock like Maxwell, it's undeniable.

just because i know jay is an obvious fanboy of nvidia this review doesnt surprise me at all.... comparing a reference model vs aftermarket ones......lol... ofc the aftermarket models will  pull ahead.... try to compare reference vs reference and the diference would be smaller by a lot i think...

Out of those cards the fury x was the only one with a water cooler. It was by far the coolest. Temperature was most certainly NOT the limiting factor here. Your argument is invalid. Besides some aftermarket 980tis are very close in price to reference models.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

:mellow:

Their cards don't clock like Maxwell, it's undeniable.

Because we've SEEN it. I'm contesting the idea that because it's amd they're automatically going to release a card that doesn't oc well. Just because it's been the case last generation, it wasn't certain it was going to be the same this time.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's fun to see that Jay has such a huge inpact on LTT viewers. I thought exactly the same though. The Fury X got shrekt!!

It would be an okay choice if pump noise an coil whine weren't an issue. But like this, it just looks liek the Fury X is a Frankenstein invention they have hammered together in order to bring at least something to the table to compete with Nvidia. It's like a prototype or an unfinished product. Sad days for AMD.

who cares...

The Titan X is not the best one on the market, it's a fucking rip off with an unnecessary and pointless amount of vram it will never get used. What you mean to say is that it was the best option at the time he revised his skunkworks rig. And a big part of that is because he didn't have to pay a fucking dime to get what most other people would be fucking idiots to pay: 3000 dollars for 3 of them. The 980ti its superior to the titan in every single aspect simply because it has sufficient vram for what the card can actually power and no, the titan x can no longer be considered a workstation card without double precision which was removed from it.

The titan x is the best gpu on the market right now in terms of gaming. It just is. It's not value for money, it is a rip off however it doesn't change the fact that a 980ti is a slightly stripped titan x.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

It's fun to see that Jay has such a huge inpact on LTT viewers. I thought exactly the same though. The Fury X got shrekt!!

It would be an okay choice if pump noise an coil whine weren't an issue. But like this, it just looks liek the Fury X is a Frankenstein invention they have hammered together in order to bring at least something to the table to compete with Nvidia. It's like a prototype or an unfinished product. Sad days for AMD.

I think anyone even remotely bashing a flagship product from nvidia or amd is bound to spark at least the hint of a flamewar ^^ and some people felt the need to discredit him personally instead of meditating on the numbers. I think we'd have seen a similar reaction with almost anyone.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because we've SEEN it. I'm contesting the idea that because it's amd they're automatically going to release a card that doesn't oc well. Just because it's been the case last generation, it wasn't certain it was going to be the same this time.

You know it's not JUST because of VRMs being warm that prevents OC stability, right? It's also architecture and core design that helps, which is why Maxwell is simply fantastic at OCing. AMD has been using the same architecture for so long with very little changes, they're still putting out cards where it's "sooo goood" that they clock 100 MHz higher than stock.

It's the same shit all over again, the card is worthless at it's pricepoint.

The titan x is the best gpu on the market right now in terms of gaming. It just is. It's not value for money, it is a rip off however it doesn't change the fact that a 980ti is a slightly stripped titan x.

Yes and no, because the 980ti allows for aftermarket coolers and pcbs. Meaning higher overclocks on most cards. Meaning performance that is often above what the titan x has to offer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Again, we have some people here saying this forum is filled with reasonable people and AMD fanboys, yet where the fuck were this comments when the 970 had widespread coil whine issues? Coil whine happens, more often than it should but it is inevitable. The real fucking criticism that should be leveled here is how AMD used a very unreliable fucking brand and AIO by Coolermaster that tends to die and I've only seen one person, a mod, made that point. Everybody else its focusing on coil whine, not on the fact that the card runs nearly 30 degrees cooler and quieter than the 980ti reference and nearly matches it's performance. Yes I said nearly, it is not equal or better. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes and no, because the 980ti allows for aftermarket coolers and pcbs. Meaning higher overclocks on most cards. Meaning performance that is often above what the titan x has to offer.

EVGA hybrid cooler? An exception I guess.

Yeah it just is, yet the 980ti it's just as fast and usually faster and it costs 350 dollars less. So how is it best? Does it performs better? No. Does it looks better at least? Not really the reference looks the same. Do you have any sort of argument to offer here? Because otherwise you might as well just copy/paste Nvidia PR statements.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think anyone even remotely bashing a flagship product from nvidia or amd is bound to spark at least the hint of a flamewar ^^ and some people felt the need to discredit him personally instead of meditating on the numbers. I think we'd have seen a similar reaction with almost anyone.

As you said in your OP, Jay is aside from Linus in the Top 3 of the most reputable tech reviewers i know. The other one being TekSyndicate. The numbers Linus got from Ryan shrout say absoluteley nothing toi me because i don't trust him nearly as much.

And yeah, the falmewar is reel, but i think Nvidia really has the crown this time, even in terms of price/performance.

who cares...

Yeah it just is, yet the 980ti it's just as fast and usually faster and it costs 350 dollars less. So how is it best? Does it performs better? No. Does it looks better at least? Not really the reference looks the same. Do you have any sort of argument to offer here? Because otherwise you might as well just copy/paste Nvidia PR statements.

For fuck sake, if you had to build the ultimate FUCKING computer, water cool it, what gpu would you pick? Quad 980ti or quad titian x? Ffs.

For fuck sake, if you had to build the ultimate FUCKING computer, water cool it, what gpu would you pick? Quad 980ti or quad titian x? Ffs.

Quad 980ti since it would not give me a single motherfucking extra frame to use titanx cards instead. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Quad 980ti since it would not give me a single motherfucking extra frame to use titanx cards instead. 

It would actually if they're clocked the same.

980tis every day. I would have NO doubt. Especially since quad sli is so broken you wouldn't even get that theoretical extra 10% performance. Wasting money is silly even if you can afford to. I would refuse to build something that doesn't make at least a little sense for its price.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You know it's not JUST because of VRMs being warm that prevents OC stability, right? It's also architecture and core design that helps, which is why Maxwell is simply fantastic at OCing. AMD has been using the same architecture for so long with very little changes, they're still putting out cards where it's "sooo goood" that they clock 100 MHz higher than stock.

It's the same shit all over again, the card is worthless at it's pricepoint.

Thing is , a 100Mhz OC on a 290x =/= 100Mhz OC on a 980 for example .... 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Thing is , a 100Mhz OC on a 290x =/= 100Mhz OC on a 980 for example .... 

Did I say it was the same? No. But the performance shows. Overclocking a Fury X means dick because you can overclock a 980 Ti even marginally and still have the 980 Ti perform better.

It would actually if they're clocked the same.

No. It would maybe give you more points in firestrike and other syntetic bench. I do not believe it would make a single frame of difference in actual games. And even if it did, which again I maintain it wouldn't, we're talking about paying literally an extra 1400 bucks (price difference between quad 980s and quad titanxes) for maybe 2 or 3 extra frames of performance. Like I said even on the ultimate computer there is no reason for me to pay such a high premium for virtually non existent performance gains and 6gb of vram literally going to waste sittling on idle never doing a damn thing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No. It would maybe give you more points in firestrike and other syntetic bench. I do not believe it would make a single frame of difference in actual games. And even if it did, which again I maintain it wouldn't, we're talking about paying literally an extra 1400 bucks (price difference between quad 980s and quad titanxes) for maybe 2 or 3 extra frames of performance. Like I said even on the ultimate computer there is no reason for me to pay such a high premium for virtually non existent performance gains and 6gb of vram literally going to waste sittling on idle never doing a damn thing.

K.

all the hating, just stop it, AMD makes cards, Nvidia makes cards, both really well priced and if either one would stop doing that the prices of the other would skyrocket. both cards are really good and it comes down to personal prefrence which one you buy, i saw the hardwareinfotv video and they ran their benchmarks over and over again because they were performing the exact same... it comes down to the features the card has, nvidia has hdmi 2.0, AMD does not. AMD has a watercooled card and it is smaller, nvidia has an aircooled card and it is larger