qualcomm is interesting in taking over AMD

kcihtred2

qualcomm might be interested in buying out AMD.  It makes sense, qualcomm surely has money from recent years and massive snapdragon sales, AMD could be a very competitive company again and are just lacking money

from article

"Without a large amount of success in recent times there has been many claims by public and media alike of AMD beginning a struggle, without any reports pointing out a direction or solution that AMD might undergo in order to fix its 'issues'. However, in a report by investor company Seeking Alpha, Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf mentioned that he is interested in taking over a larger portion of the server scene and adjacent markets - this saw AMD pointed out as the most realistic financial possibility."

sauce from tweaktown

D:  that mean bai lower cpu's and all gpu's cause the server side is only the contracts they have with companies

I approve of this. Qualcomm is a very stable company. They would be able to maintain AMD's GPU department very well and hopefully improve AMD's CPU department. Likewise, with all of that AMD technology, Qualcomm would be able to up the GPUs on their mobile chips by like, a lot. 

I see this as a win, win IMO. 

COMIC SANS

Oh great, ever since the heat incident of the Snapdragon 810, what are they going to make with AMD? Nuclear reactor SoC?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Oh great, ever since the heat incident of the Snapdragon 810, what are they going to make with AMD? Nuclear reactor SoC?

Qualcomm has had a very good run up until the 810. The 810 is still a super great chip; it just overheats very easily. 

COMIC SANS

I approve of this. Qualcomm is a very stable company. They would be able to maintain AMD's GPU department very well and hopefully improve AMD's CPU department. Likewise, with all of the AMD technology, Qualcomm would be able to up the GPUs on their mobile chips by like, a lot. 

I see this as a win, win IMO. 

no joke. move over intel atom.  and nvidia tegra is going to actually get some competition in the high performance mobile gpu

After looking at the market profiles for both companies after hours. This seems to be nothing more than speculation. If this was true or pure speculation I would expect to see a drop in QCOM stock and a rise in AMD stock. QCOM would tank because of the added pressure AMD puts on its books. I could be wrong, but big money is always in before it becomes public info. There hasn't been any large long stock options purchased in either company. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

At this point it doesn't matter to me which of the two companies buys them (Samsung or Qualcomm), just one of them buying them would be a great benefit in terms of money being available to put forth Amd's R&D department.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Interesting...I can see the benefits of this for AMD, since it could breathe new life into both its CPUs and GPUs. However, is Qualcomm powerful enough to compete with the likes of Intel? They have almost complete dominance of the mainstream market, and even its server chips and Xeon Phis are eating away at other companies' market shares in the HPC area. 

@patrickjp93 ,what do you think of this?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Qualcomm did buy mobile graphics from AMD in 2009 and turned it into the Adreno Graphics that many of us now have in our cellphones. I'm sure AMD's Heterogeneous unified memory architecture looks pretty tantalizing to Qualcomm - to increase the efficiency of their SOC's (which are already freakin efficient).

Although I think this is just another BS rumour surrounding licensing agreement talks between AMD and Qualcomm, It is pretty funny that it lands on the launch of Fiji, dare I say hilarious... no nefarious.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If they only acquire their server department then it's not really good news, but if they only acquire the profitable part of AMD and AMD doesn't pump that money into heavy R&D and marketing for cpu's and gpu's they might go bankruopt if they go bankrupt then there will be no drivers for amd cards and they become useless for new games

Radeon = Adreno

Anyone noticed that?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Finally, soon I may be able to wield the heat of the sun in my pocket! Think of the possibilities!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Why are the mobile people considering in buying AMD?

AMD has been shitting on their CPUs for the last 5 years, but think about their GPUs. Not sure how that'll be.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Why are the mobile people considering in buying AMD?

AMD has been shitting on their CPUs for the last 5 years, but think about their GPUs. Not sure how that'll be.

Might be a way/attempt of mobile chip producents to get in more markets, since on scale of time/money buying AMD semms to be much more efficient then developing their own tech.

By aquiring AMD they also gain lots of patents and existing products, allowin them to take a shot against Nvidea and/or Intel.

Intel might own x86 platform patents, but that would create a monopoly which wont be allowed by eu and US for sure, forcing Intel to make a new deal with quallcom/AMD for x86 licensing.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

inb4 AMD CPU in smartphones

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

inb4 AMD CPU in smartphones

I Need A Portable Heater

Honestly, I can't think of a company who follows the open source vision of AMD. I think now it depends on the lesser of the evils. I think Asus would be a good choice. Hit me with comments if I'm wrong.

Inb4 HBM in phones. Oh wait.

And I'm not sure how exactly would Qualcomm be able to improve AMD dGPUs. They may have bought ATI mobile or w/e it's called, but they have 0 exp in dGPUs (these last few gen at least, 2009++).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

BS article, here's what steve Mollenkopf actually said:

We have recently announced last November that we are going to move to the datacenter. We knew it was going to be a long play, it is something that we are going to have to grow in order to be successful and new capabilities that we are going to have but things that play to our core competency, but allow us to grow into new markets and can we go into them using M&A? It's an interesting chessboard right now.

All mentions of AMD are simply assumptions by a blogger who wants clicks:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3278115-qualcomm-may-acquire-amd-this-could-trigger-significant-upside-for-both-stocks?

Don't pay any attention to internet rumour.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Finally, soon I may be able to wield the heat of the sun in my pocket! Think of the possibilities!

You already can. 

Buy an LG G Flex 2, HTC One M9 or any 810-powered phone and remove the throttling. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1