R9 390X teardown reveals that it's a complete 290X rebrand

Bouzoo

People have got it and decided to play dissection. We knew it but now we can clearly see it. As it turns out, it has the exactly same PCB, the same components and placement (even though I suspect some changes with the components since they allegedly lowered the TDP and temps). The article even claims it has the same silicon.

I was one of those people defending them that they maybe changed the silicon or some components and seems I was wrong.

A teardown of the XFX AMD R9 390X has revealed that the GPU is a complete rebrand, with exactly the same PCB and component placement.

This means that the R9 390X will be the same old Hawaii GPU that we have seen in the R9 290X, though this time Hawaii has been Renamed to "Grenada". As a former water cooler of an AMD R9 290X, It is clear to me that the silicon at the heart of this chip is the same as Hawaii, at this point we can rule out the possibility of AMD using new silicon in these chips. 

15050616849l.jpg

amd-radeon-r9-290x_pcb.jpg

15050616592l.jpg

290X_Rear.jpg

And there we have it. What else is there to say? Even the benchmarks show us a minimum improvement. What do you think?

I know it's impossible to ask, but please try not to make this another 100+ post thread about AMD vs NVIDIA. Ty.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well, another useless generation for AMD it seems..

I bet the card will perform the same again... *sigh*

Another year of Nvidia..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Are you surprised? We knew it would be a rebrand a few months ago.

Surprised? No, we knew it, now we have the "first confirmation".

Price will decide whether I'm annoyed or happy about it. Because 8GB is good news for Crossfire no matter what.

But we all know they got stuck with HUGE unsold inventories last gen, they pretty much had to do this. Blame the miners.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yeah i mean wasnt that already pretty much confirmed? The only question that remains is whether its actually more power efficient / cooler like they said it would be.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

...and grass is green. Hurry up and reveal yourself, Fury X. You are the only relevant Fiji card in my mind.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So long AMD, nice knowing you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The only thing to be looking at from AMD is the Fury cards, the 390x really became irrelevant to me once they announced that the 390x wouldn't be the top tier card as we once thought.

Who knows, maybe they sunk all their development into HBM and we will see an amazing release next cycle.

Not surprised with the articles and rumours running around these couple months. AMDs best bet is with Fury X.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Kinda old news but ti's nice to have definitive proof now. 

Uppermost kek, AMD, uppermost kek. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Not perfectly identical between those pictures you know. The solder points along it are much, much cleaner than the solder points on the 290X. Which leads me to think that, that particular model being showcased has undergone either a different final production, or process than the older 290X being shown. either way you can't call them identical; Though, that's really a very menial difference.

Either way, the people in this thread screaming shit like, "This is why i go nvidia, or Goodbye amd!" need to step back. We already KNEW this was a rebrand. This is NOT amd's flagship card, nor the one they are wanting to flaunt, that honor is reserved for the Fury; which has a fairly good chance at significantly shaking up nvidia's little pedestal and hopefully making them reevaluate their status. with as little a budget for RnD was there even any question? Seriously, if they can manage to pull out a good performing, well balanced core in the Fury, then there's something to be said about that. For Nvidia to make a card like the titan X, then if it were to be Toe-to-toe with the Fury in performance what would that say about AMD eh? Perhaps try throwing them some faith, we need a competitor to the green giant, so they don't take up the same fucking excuse as intel and focus everything on incremental improvements generation after generation. I'd really rather not be looking at a 20% increase in graphics horsepower 4 years from now. By then i expect at the least a 50% increase. Fuck it, let's go 15K 48" monitors run on 32gb Titan Q's and Fury XIII's.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Not surprised with the articles and rumours running around these couple months. AMDs best bet is with Fury X.

I'd go with the only bet. The biggest problem is people are getting tired of rebrands, and we can clearly see that in sales. Zen has to be the best thing ever, otherwise AMD might be going into history.

I'd go with the only bet. The biggest problem is people are getting tired of rebrands, and we can clearly see that in sales. Zen has to be the best thing ever, otherwise AMD might be going into history.

some of these rebrads are fucking rebranded rebrands. Uppermost kek, amd

inception-wallpapers-inception-2010-1239

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Not perfectly identical between those pictures you know. The solder points along it are much, much cleaner than the solder points on the 290X. Which leads me to think that, that particular model being showcased has undergone either a different final production, or process than the older 290X being shown. either way you can't call them identical; Though, that's really a very menial difference.

By that logic there are no two 290X that are the same, every one has different solder points, even by 0,5 mm so not the same cards.

Seriously, AMD killed themselves with their marketing.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They should have called it "Rebrandy".

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

some of these rebrads are fucking rebranded rebrands. Uppermost kek, amd

Not to mention most of their cards are fucking GCN 1.0. Seriously, that thing came out in 2011! A 4 year architecture! What the hell AMD...

I do believe that the R9 380X will be GCN 1.2 though (like the R9 285). 

PS: the R9 290/x is GCN 1.1.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They should have called it "Rebrandy".

I think we now know what the "R" in their naming scheme means.

What a shame......I'll still probably buy it.

Despite the inevitable price reduction of the 2xx series? 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

By that logic there are no two 290X that are the same, every one has different solder points, even by 0,5 mm so not the same cards.

I can't actually see many of the solder points on the one he tore down, either because of the angel of the shots or the newer method of producing a card. 

Either way, yes that is true. Just like the HoF 980 is different from the G1 Gaming 980. It all comes down to production matey.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I think we now know what the "R" in their naming scheme means.

Hur hur hur. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |