Why is X99 so buggy.....?

I tried putting together a new build and passed over my z87 i7 4770K etc.... R9 290x build to my wife. This new build was supposed to be an X99 i7 5820 DDR4 build. I have gone through 1 MSI X99 board, and 2 Asus X99 boards with each of them not even loading on to BIOS. Was on the phone with support for hours and nothing. Checking the reviews on Newegg for 2011 v3 sockets vs 1150 sockets there is an obvious lack of consistency in these builds still. I mean in comparison to z97 builds. Im hitting  4 weeks without my build due to returns and honestly I'm almost convinced my next orders will be based on a  Z97 system. Not that there is anything wrong with z97, obviously not, but I'm getting more and more into Rendering with Revit and I was hoping to build a 6 core intel system.

So aside from the fact that 2011 v3 is pretty recent why the many bugs?

Well I actually wonder if you're not doing something wrong.  To have 3 different boards not work, in the same fashion, is so untypical.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Because it's not tested like consumer is. It's an enthusiast platform. That and you're probably doing something wrong, not the companies.

you're doing something wrong

stop blaming companies and hardware when you don't know how to troubleshoot your parts

its probably something really stupid like putting the CPU in wrong, ram in the wrong slots, ram not pushed all the way in correctly, CPU power not plugged in, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I tried putting together a new build and passed over my z87 i7 4770K etc.... R9 290x build to my wife. This new build was supposed to be an X99 i7 5820 DDR4 build. I have gone through 1 MSI X99 board, and 2 Asus X99 boards with each of them not even loading on to BIOS. Was on the phone with support for hours and nothing. Checking the reviews on Newegg for 2011 v3 sockets vs 1150 sockets there is an obvious lack of consistency in these builds still. I mean in comparison to z97 builds. Im hitting  4 weeks without my build due to returns and honestly I'm almost convinced my next orders will be based on a  Z97 system. Not that there is anything wrong with z97, obviously not, but I'm getting more and more into Rendering with Revit and I was hoping to build a 6 core intel system.

So aside from the fact that 2011 v3 is pretty recent why the many bugs?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Building my X99 system was the smoothest system I've ever put together. Is your system even turning on? How is it not going into BIOS/UEFI? Is it your keyboard that isn't initializing before post? Did you add an extra riser beneath the motherboard on accident? Extra risers will short your motherboard and the system will not even turn on.

There's so many issues that it could be. At this point it doesn't sound like hardware issues at all.

LOL , CPU was put in right, RAM was on the motherboard manual list, tried 1 Dimm, 2 Dimms, 3 Dimms 4 Dimms, in the order the manual designated.  Even tried "the one on the very left first", like some claimed made it work for them. Everything was new and maybe it was dead on arrival. But I even ordered another set of RAM, also on the list, and nothing. And I don't believe I blamed companies for anything. I did blame the hardware and I still do. I troubleshooted for days on my own and on the phone with support, and support do "know how to troubleshoot", yes? Oh and the ram WAS pushed in correctly. I was looking for info on the different approach of board and component structure and/or interaction compared to Z97 systems. Something is different and not handled with the same quality control. I guess it is the lack of market in comparing each socket.

The asus MOBO, both of them, gave me a b3 error. Which referred to a system restart. A restart wouldn't fix it. The memory LED was lit always and pushing the MEM OK ran through some iterations with nothing. The CPU LED never lit. The MSI MOBO gave me BIOS once and when windows came up it deactivated my mouse and keyboard. That was my first and I RMA'd after support suggested I did. It was during that one bios log in that I saw it read the CPU and Ram so I assumed neither of them could be considered DOA.

I am considering the Rampage V Extreme with the i7 5820 again. I might give it another go.  

The asus MOBO, both of them, gave me a b3 error. Which referred to a system restart. A restart wouldn't fix it. The memory LED was lit always and pushing the MEM OK ran through some iterations with nothing. The CPU LED never lit. The MSI MOBO gave me BIOS once and when windows came up it deactivated my mouse and keyboard. That was my first and I RMA'd after support suggested I did. It was during that one bios log in that I saw it read the CPU and Ram so I assumed neither of them could be considered DOA.

I am considering the Rampage V Extreme with the i7 5820 again. I might give it another go.  

I had the Rampage and loved it, but isnt that a tid bit overkill for the 5820K? 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I've had 2 X99 boards, both ASUS, and both worked well the first day aside from my first DDR4 kit which was bad. After the DDR4 RMA all is well.

As @Sam Z Man said, it may be the CPU. To have 3 (or 2) different errors on 3 different boards OTB is extremely unlikely.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I had the Rampage and loved it, but isnt that a tid bit overkill for the 5820K? 

Yeah I totally agree. But Im shooting at moving to an 8 core in the distant future. And I guess the price range reassured me in regards to stability.

Maybe your CPU died in the first few minutes of its short brief life, is so sad when they get taken from us at such a young age. May it rest in peace.

LOL .

Maybe your CPU died in the first few minutes of its short brief life, is so sad when they get taken from us at such a young age. May it rest in peace.

I'd laugh at this if it werent for the fact that I went to the funeral for my 15 year old friend today.

And the award for making me feel like the biggest ass goes to you sir.

I am so sorry for your lose.

It's fine - you didnt know. And thanks :)

I'd laugh at this if it werent for the fact that I went to the funeral for my 15 year old friend today.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

I honestly never had that happen to me with a CPU. That's why I scratched that off. I really like Asus support and warranty and would like to stick with that brand. Here is whats on my list.

Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3

i7 5820

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

G. Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4

Gigabyte Gtx 970

I already have my SSD's , H100i, and Corsair Graphite 760T

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

I honestly never had that happen to me with a CPU. That's why I scratched that off. I really like Asus support and warranty and would like to stick with that brand. Here is whats on my list.

Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3

i7 5820

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

G. Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4

Gigabyte Gtx 970

I already have my SSD's , H100i, and Corsair Graphite 760T

So much GPU for so little CPU

So much GPU for so little CPU

Really? I was actually thinking of getting 2 970's. I was going to get the i7 5930, but I decided to save a little and go for the 8 core next year.

Really? I was actually thinking of getting 2 970's. I was going to get the i7 5930, but I decided to save a little and go for the 8 core next year.

Dual 970's is still very little for a X99 cpu, triple 980's or dual Titan X's is where you would start to have to much GPU power for Z97, you can't run triple SLI on the Z97 anyway.

The 5960X? Coming from someone who has one, don't, unless you're going to be video encoding/editing, 3D rendering, or running virtual machiens every day. 0 IPC improvement over the 5820k/5930k, and the two hexcores usually can overclock a bit higher (on average). That $500 chasm could be better spent on a 980ti :)

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Dual 970's is still very little for a X99 cpu, triple 980's or dual Titan X's is where you would start to have to much GPU power for Z97, you can't run triple SLI on the Z97 anyway.

Do you think an i7 5820K or 5930K would be of significant help in rendering? that's my main objective, gaming to be honest, I only play BF4.  

The 5960X? Coming from someone who has one, don't, unless you're going to be video encoding/editing, 3D rendering, or running virtual machiens every day. 0 IPC improvement over the 5820k/5930k, and the two hexcores usually can overclock a bit higher (on average). That $500 chasm could be better spent on a 980ti :)

I will be rendering, but honestly I don't sell the render. Its just for speed when I work at it and present it. The people who look at the render don't really care, or do we benefit, from a  more realistic image. But currently running some renders on some frames gives me a bit of a lag and after a while its frustrating. and yeah 980ti's would be sweet!!

Do you think an i7 5820K or 5930K would be of significant help in rendering? that's my main objective, gaming to be honest, I only play BF4.

Nope quad cores are the most games use for now the extra 2 or 4 cores if a octa or hex core would be useless in games, just get a 4690K and dual 290X's if you only play battlefield, because it's cheaper and would beat what you are currently planning.

I will be rendering, but honestly I don't sell the render. Its just for speed when I work at it and present it. The people who look at the render don't really care, or do we benefit, from a  more realistic image. But currently running some renders on some frames gives me a bit of a lag and after a while its frustrating. and yeah 980ti's would be sweet!!

It would depend on the software that you are using, as well as the workload that you are trying to render. When I encode 1080p60 videos in Premiere I'll have half my cores parked. When I kick it up to 4K this thing turns into a space heater on a full blast. Same thing is true if I'm batch converting 8+ videos/tracks.

There will be no difference between the 5820k and 5930k, and either would only be ~23% slower compared to the 5960X clock for clock, and that is assuming a perfectly optimized software suite (which doesn't exist). The only reason to get the 5930k would be if you're going trisli or need lanes for add-in cards.

I'm not gunna lie, for the amount of work that I do the 5960X has only really proven to be beneficial ~80% of the time, and I certainly could have made due with a 5820k, it's only a slightly longer time to completion.