Samsung might be putting pressure on DRAM prices

Bouzoo

For those who don't know, there are quite a few DRAM manufacturers, and the 3 biggest names are Samsung, Micron and Hynix. While it is the same type of RAM, not all RAM is made equal.

While Micron and Hynix make their DRAM chips using 25 and 28nm processes (at least for this year), Samsung is more advanced and uses 20nm (only 50% is made using 20nm).

What does that mean? Samsung is able to make memory ICs smaller and cheaper, allowing it to sell it's memory for lower prices without affecting it's profit margin. That doesn't mean that other manufacturers won't lose money. While it is believed that DRAM prices are about to increase, it is also believed that Samsung is gonna lower them. You can see where this is going.

“Two years of firm DRAM prices appears reverting to a lower margin environment, still profitable but materially less so than once believed,” wrote Rick Whittington, an analyst with Drexel Hamilton, in a note to clients, reports Tech Trader Daily.

"Predicated upon a view Samsung’s strategic interests bring willingness to accept lower memory margins, DRAM price drops are liable to continue,” wrote the market observer.

samsung_64gb_tsv_ddr4_dram_module.jpg

But according to those reports, Samsung is not only gonna lower prices in PC market, but also on mobile LPDDR DRAM.

“PC DRAM price weakness has spread to mobile, reducing margins and earnings estimates as Samsung brings process cost drops to customers,” wrote Mr. Whittington.

If this turn out to be true, Samsung will only increase it's share in DRAM market, further strengthing it. As for the consumers, this would lower the prices and lower prices are good. 

DRAMeXchange expects the overall value of the global DRAM market to reach $52.3 billion this year, a 13 per cent growth compared to 2014. Samsung has been the world’s biggest memory producer for many years now. The South Korean conglomerate is expected to further strengthen its positions in the DRAM market in the coming years after it completes its giant semiconductor fab near Pyeongtaek, South Korea, which is going to cost $23.6 billion in total.

Samsung did not comment on the news-story.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Hype confirmed? Yushhh!

Hope they actually do this :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ah nice :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

should have bought amd put pressure on high end GPU and CPU market as well

No need for that, AMD still has time to redeem themselves. Not much, but they still do.

Unfortunately, people don't really know that these are the major memory manufacturers. I see Samsung and Hynix ram in prebuilts all the time. The ram timings usually aren't good but they're still quality ran.

Good! Now, if DDR2/LPDDR2 would go down too...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No need for that, AMD still has time to redeem themselves. Not much, but they still do.

there's no need for it, but they would benefit from samsungs 14nm fabs and huge r&d budget and samsung would benefit from amd's gfx tech and legacy driver support

there's no need for it, but they would benefit from samsungs 14nm fabs and huge r&d budget and samsung would benefit from amd's gfx tech and legacy driver support

But why sell if they can be their bosses. While everyone can benefit from Samsung (except Intel I'd say, not counting smartphones CPUs) but that's not a reason to sell immediately  :lol: And Zen is believed to be 14nm so they may have the tech.

DDR3 has already been dropping for a few months, I just hope it continues to fall in price. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

DDR3 has already been dropping for a few months, I just hope it continues to fall in price. 

DDR3 is still expensive, I got an 8GB (2x4) kit a few years ago for the price of a single 4GB stick of today's prices xD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Unfortunately, people don't really know that these are the major memory manufacturers. I see Samsung and Hynix ram in prebuilts all the time. The ram timings usually aren't good but they're still quality ran.

Pretty much all RAM you buy comes from Samsung, Hynix, Elpida or Micron. I mean, Corsair doesn't have any fabs to manufacture memory chips so they just buy from one of the aforementioned companies. If Samsung lowers the prices on their chips then everyone they supply (Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston etc) will probably lower the prices of their modules too.

I'm just waiting for ram price to go down to and go from 16gb of ram to 32gb :D

The best RAM is from Samsung.

The stock timings in my kit suck but with tuning they do get much better.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Never forget.. Samsung's legendary miracle RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146846&SID=iavwufh7ef000kb500053

Undercut everyone and their RAM modules just happened to be higher quality then anything else their competitors were throwing out in the market.

should have bought amd put pressure on high end GPU and CPU market as well

It would take years before they could make an improvement in either of those markets.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It would take years before they could make an improvement in either of those markets.

but we can have improvement after a few years, but at this point amd is predicted to be bankrupt before 2020, they have to start to get their stuff together now but they don't have the money

Never forget.. Samsung's legendary miracle RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146846&SID=iavwufh7ef000kb500053

Undercut everyone and their RAM modules just happened to be higher quality then anything else their competitors were throwing out in the market.

147 fully satisfied customers with no zero-egg review. How the f is that possible?

but we can have improvement after a few years, but at this point amd is predicted to be bankrupt before 2020, they have to start to get their stuff together now but they don't have the money

Zen is coming in 2016 created with Jim keller teh guy that pretty much put AMD ahead back in 2003, Plus GCN being redeveloped for efficiency and such.

If AMD does go bankrupty I will buy them Myself.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

@DildorTheDecent That is where Samsung Green becomes Samsung "Wonder Ram"

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

What brands use Samsung memory? Specifically for motherboard RAM.

I know that the Samsung RAM on the Asus Strix's are supposed to be great for overclocking, wondering if the same thing is true for their motherboard memory.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Pretty much all RAM you buy comes from Samsung, Hynix, Elpida or Micron. I mean, Corsair doesn't have any fabs to manufacture memory chips so they just buy from one of the aforementioned companies. If Samsung lowers the prices on their chips then everyone they supply (Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston etc) will probably lower the prices of their modules too.

You sure Kingaton doesn't manufacture DRAM ?

Hynix is great too my experience.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well, have u seen the 390x and Fury X syntethic benchmark ?! Its rather dissapointing considering the hype AMD and fans made.

I'll wait for gaming benches but I'm already expecting a disappointment.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

there is far too much emphasis on ram these days. Linus has done tests. the value ram from corsair and samsung types etc. offer not even 1-3 FPS difference! 

from DDr3 800 all the way to 3000mhz. then the usual argument happens latency vs bandwidth and speed. so depending on your needs, gaming. 1866mhz most are C9-10and fine. 2400+ with higher latency same results in the end. 

Video editing different . high speed, high latency = more bandwidth . is fine for it and give 30 sec benefit on a 20 minute video (if im wrong sorry) but then the huge markup is it worth it for 30 seconds? maybe it is. 

But me personally its value ram all the way lol. in my gaming rig I got corsair 1866 C9's I did have Gskill tridents 2400mhz 16gb. but I saw no difference. and sold it for more then I bought it for, as it had gone out of stock. 

then I bought 8gb of corsair vengance c9 or 10  I forget. these forums are vicious if u are wrong by 1mm. or 1 number lol 

You sure Kingaton doesn't manufacture DRAM ?

Nope, they don't manufacture any flash. They do however buy big wafers and then do their own packaging and validation on it, instead of buying completely finished chips (like for example Corsair does). So that's why you can find chips that says Kingston on them, but under the hood you will find flash that's from for example Micron.