can Intel's Iris PRO inside Broadwell be a low-end discrete video card killer?

Intel put out a modern chip that has proper single threaded performance alongside a powerful iGPU all on a viable, mainstream and fully modern chipset.

AMD, are you listening? Z97 > everything you offer solely because of 1150 being a modern socket that actually gets proper support on both ends.

If IP on Broadwell is this, I can't wait for Skylake to show up In 3 months time.

Not bad...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

amazing, GG intel- this will make some mean ultrabooks and tablets!! :D

AMD really are fucked right now.. intels GPU beats their APUs, and their new GPUs are not going to beat t he 980ti/Titan X (rumoured)

It's a shame, really. AMD have said they want to focus on performance again, but at the moment, they don't seem to have a choice but to go for price/performance. If the 300 series really can't beat the 980Ti and Titan X, they're going to have to put them in at a very good price, to at least beat the 970 which has pretty much dominated the market for the last couple of months. 

I also still get the feeling that Nvidia is holding back, so I want AMD to come and smash the 980Ti in performance and price so Nvidia has to go all out. Same for Intel and the high end CPU market, they just don't have any competition, so there's been no big improvements for a while. 

1. doesnt matter if its one chip or two, 65W requires less cooling capability than 100W in any case.
  2. HSA has nothing to do with it, you still dont need another chip attached via PCIe and a more powerful PSU
  3. its not more important for everyone, and if GPU performance is important, its better to have a 4 core i5 and upgrade later, than to have a 2c/4t i3 with a silly 750(ti)
  4. or so you think. smaller systems are the future for 90% of the consumers intel is targeting their Core CPUs to. we enthusiasts who want 5GHz 18 core monsters are a vast minority.

1. But that's a completely different claim. And as for cooling capability, a dedicated graphics card will typically have a better cooler than the Intel stock cooler anyway.

2. Not needing another chip attached by PCIe isn't really an advantage in itself, and the PSU has little to do with simplicity. Especially since low-end dedicated GPUs often don't need PCIe power connectors.

3. Not for everyone no, but for the majority of the budget gamer segment which is what we're talking about here. It's definitely better to have a GTX 750 Ti than integrated Iris Pro 6200, but because of the pricing you can afford much more powerful GPUs than that. You can pretty much get a GTX 960 in the same budget.

4. 18 core monsters are not relevant to this discussion, we're talking about budget gamers who need GPU performance. They are still much better off with a dedicated GPU.

Those benchmarks are incredible... and is this still without the impact of DX12?  Hello Surface Pro 4 rocking something like these.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Intel does beat amd ... at twice the price, nothing to be concerned with here. Also anyone notice that the gpu is half the space under the heatspreader, it might be neat if DX12 can make use of it.

Poor AMD.

I honestly don't see them ever catching up at this point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Indeed, APU's will slowly eat away the GPU market from the bottom up. Either there will be a limit to how far the graphics will improve, or we will see gaming pc's resemble consoles a lot more in the future. Either way, cheaper gaming pc's are really nice. No wonder NVidia is so fixated on vendor lock in through proprietary technology, their low end market is disappearing, and maybe even their mid end within a few years.

As for AMD I would not worry. Intel does not have the drivers, nor the knowledge for proper gaming. A zen APU should blow everything intel has out of the water, gaming wise.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Iris pro 6200 is the one with the fast memory thing, it's likely they can't actually fit it onto laptops. The most you'll likely see is iris pro 6100.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Iris pro 6200 is the one with the fast memory thing, it's likely they can't actually fit it onto laptops. The most you'll likely see is iris pro 6100.

They managed it fine with Haswell. 11 laptop CPUs came with Iris Pro 5200, while only 3 soldered desktop CPUs had Iris Pro 5200.

They managed it fine with Haswell. 11 laptop CPUs came with Iris Pro 5200, while only 3 soldered desktop CPUs had Iris Pro 5200.

ah ok, I didnt know this. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Intel does beat amd ... at twice the price, nothing to be concerned with here. Also anyone notice that the gpu is half the space under the heatspreader, it might be neat if DX12 can make use of it.

3730.multiadapter-dx12-ue4-2.png

As for AMD I would not worry. Intel does not have the drivers, nor the knowledge for proper gaming.

I don't get why people keep saying this. Look at all the gaming benchmarks in the reviews. Even if Intel's drivers are bad (have not seen anything to support this) the 5675C is still beating the crap out of the A10-7870K. Are you saying Intel's lead would go from big to massive if they upgraded their drivers?

Looks like Toms Hardware fabricated some insane bullshit numbers.  :rolleyes:

I don't get why people keep saying this. Look at all the gaming benchmarks in the reviews. Even if Intel's drivers are bad (have not seen anything to support this) the 5675C is still beating the crap out of the A10-7870K. Are you saying Intel's lead would go from big to massive if they upgraded their drivers?

The menu in Shadow Warrior can't even run on intel integrated. It artefacts to hell. There is a reason why AMD and NVidia bring out monthly drivers and Intel does it like once a year or so.

I don't understand why anyone is hyped that a 350$ Intel CPU is beating a 150$ AMD APU. Buy a dedicated graphics card for the 200$ difference and see what's best?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looks like Toms Hardware was paid off quite well to fabricate such insane bullshit numbers.  :rolleyes:

I doubt.

Id rather check toms hardware than AMDs page where they put fx6300 somehow winning against i3 (i3 wins on every other bench on internet, this proves their cherry picked/rigged bench) and deleted my 3 comments and blocked me for posting toms hardware benches on their page xDD

they must be so butthurt

Looks like Toms Hardware fabricated some insane bullshit numbers.  :rolleyes:

Just happened to pick games where the performance gap is large. Anandtech seems to have picked games where the performance gap is smaller. The price/performance conclusion is the same, Core i5-5675C (let alone Core i7-5775C) is not worth the money. The pure performance conclusion is also the same, these are the two fastest integrated graphics solutions on the desktop.

I doubt.

Id rather check toms hardware than AMDs page where they put fx6300 somehow winning against i3 (i3 wins on every other bench on internet, this proves their cherry picked/rigged bench) and deleted my 3 comments and blocked me for posting toms hardware benches on their page xDD

they must be so butthurt

Toms Hardware has earned their reputation from examples like this. There's no way IP 6200 got a 100% performance uplift with just eight extra execution units. Toms Hardware is an unreliable source and we (on other bigger tech forums) always tell people to not bother sourcing from them for this very reason. Although the Anandtech numbers look within reason.

Just happened to pick games where the performance gap is large. Anandtech seems to have picked games where the performance gap is smaller. The price/performance conclusion is the same, Core i5-5675C (let alone Core i7-5775C) is not worth the money. The pure performance conclusion is also the same, these are the two fastest integrated graphics solutions on the desktop.

Their numbers are clearly fabricated if you look through and compare them enough.

GTA V w/ i5-5675C

• Toms Hardware = 122 FPS
  • Anandtech = 56 FPS
17-IGP-GTA-V.png

74940.png

The difference between i5-5675C vs A8-7650k is only 11% (55.25 vs 49.76 FPS) in Anadtech's review but in Tom's review it's 103% (122 vs 60 FPS).

I don't understand why anyone is hyped that a 350$ Intel CPU...

even if you have dGPU, iGPU is used

among other cool things...

Its the biggest step since Sandy bridge. Tell me one AMD or Intel product where there is more than 100% performance increase.

:o)

Their numbers are clearly fabricated if you look through and compare them enough.

GTA V w/ i5-5675C

• Toms Hardware = 122 FPS
  • Anandtech = 56 FPS

Different testing protocols, Anandtech used the built-in benchmark. I haven't checked if it's the case with GTA V, but built-in benchmarks often give completely different results than the game itself.

even if you have dGPU, iGPU is used

among other cool things...

Its the biggest step since Sandy bridge. Tell me one AMD or Intel product where there is more than 100% performance increase.

:o)

Point is that it's not a suprprise that a CPU, beats an APU at 2,5x the price. Especially when it is not that good for gaming anyways, due to bad drivers.

Also going from a potato to French fries, are not that impressive. But yeah, AMD losing the APU graphics is a little odd. I don't reckon it will change until 14nm ff ZEN. After all broadwell is 14nm, which might explain why this is possible.