Windows 10 will include junkware - the cost of free

GoodBytes

I would happily pay to not have crap installed on my PC when I do a "clean" install.

The main reason why I do reinstalls is to get rid of all the junk, but now the OS itself will come with a bunch of junk. Like I said in the "HTC might include ads in Sense" thread, having ads in the core OS is one of the worst things I have ever heard, and Candy Crush will be part of the core OS if it gets bundled.

Would you be happy with me shoving a 2 feet dildo up your butt? By the way, I am going to shove it up you even if you say no, because you have no saying in this.

Please don't whine about it either. It's both a free dildo and you are allowed to remove it afterwards!

You are probably the most over reacting person on LTT that I've seen on here. Candy Crush Saga is a universal app that you will be able to right click and press uninstall.

This is more like a small poster being put in your room with scotch tap. It can be pulled down from the wall if you want and thrown away.

It mostly annoys me because it's 3rd party junk that I want to get rid of regardless. It already annoys me when prebuilts have bad barely functioning software. Even if it only takes 2 seconds to uninstall it is still something that should not be there. Its why I like using a fresh copy of Windows, and stopped using Cnet's download section - and love Ninite.

Hold on; was there not supposed to be a modified version of W10, designed for the RPi2? What happened to that exactly?

That is it. Windows 10 IoT Core. (https://dev.windows.com/en-US/iot)

It works with the:

-> Raspberry Pi 2 (900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU - 1GB of RAM)

-> MinnowBoard Max (Dual-core, 1.33 GHz Atom processor - 2GB of RAM) [Runs also Windows 8, and desktop Windows 10 Home/Pro]

-> Intel Galileo (Intel Quark X1000 - x86 - 400 MHz CPU - 256MB of RAM)

You can download Windows 10 IoT Core for free here: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/Downloads.htm

Install instructions and Tools: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/GetStarted.htm

You can make (or get if it exists and shared) a Universal App that acts as a media center, or a software to control your robot, access the internet and do stuff, etc. But it is 1 app it can run. So Linux would be the preferred choice for a computer. Windows would be a prefer choice to an app that can run virtually anywhere on Windows 10 system, or easy programming and get started.

You are probably the most over reacting person on LTT that I've seen on here. Candy Crush Saga is a universal app that you will be able to right click and press uninstall.

This is more like a small poster being put in your room with scotch tap. It can be pulled down from the wall if you want and thrown away.

It's not overreacting, it's hyperbole. It was meant to show that "it's free and it can be removed" are not valid arguments to include it to begin with.

All the crap OEMs have been installing on pre-built computers have been uninstallable as well, but it still makes the experience worse for the customers.

Adding bloatware to the stock OS is a big step backwards. Look at how much praise the Galaxy S 6 is getting for not including a ton of third party bloatware. Look at how much crap OEMs have been getting for bundling in stuff like McAfee trials when you buy a pre-built. I find it hard to believe that I am in a small but vocal minority that dislike bloatware.

If you disagree then I would like to hear an argument how this makes the OS better.

I mean, if you were going to install Windows 10 on your computer and could choose between one version that was just the regular Microsoft stuff, and one version with candy crush, McAfee, ask toolbar and a bunch of other bloatware for example HP includes, which version would you pick?

If you pick the former then you are on my side. If you pick the latter I want to hear your reasoning.

It's not overreacting, it's hyperbole. It was meant to show that "it's free and it can be removed" are not valid arguments to include it to begin with.

All the crap OEMs have been installing on pre-built computers have been uninstallable as well, but it still makes the experience worse for the customers.

Adding bloatware to the stock OS is a big step backwards. Look at how much praise the Galaxy S 6 is getting for not including a ton of third party bloatware. Look at how much crap OEMs have been getting for bundling in stuff like McAfee trials when you buy a pre-built. I find it hard to believe that I am in a small but vocal minority that dislike bloatware.

If you disagree then I would like to hear an argument how this makes the OS better.

I mean, if you were going to install Windows 10 on your computer and could choose between one version that was just the regular Microsoft stuff, and one version with candy crush, McAfee, ask toolbar and a bunch of other bloatware for example HP includes, which version would you pick?

If you pick the former then you are on my side. If you pick the latter I want to hear your reasoning.

Where was your outrage about Microsoft bundling the Skype app in Windows 8.x?

This is one single app so you saying choose between one with MS only apps and one with Candy Crush, McAfee, Ask toolbar, and "a bunch of other bloatware" make zero sense because this conversation has absolutely nothing to do with McAfee, Ask toolbar other a bunch of other bloatware. This is one, single, very easily uninstallable app that will never prompt or bug you for anything and never get in your way without you launching the app.

You're trying to create false hyperbole to try and make your point seem stronger.

It will take literally 3 seconds to open the Start menu, find Candy Crush, right-click and select "Uninstall". Wham bam the horror of an app sitting there doing nothing is over.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

your being very dense about it, the huge fucking difference here is that its almost certain you can remove it, the days of shit being buried deep into windows so you can't remove it are over, at least when it comes to microsoft programs, yes this is about a third party, but its ms putting it there, not king themselves via a deal with a OEM, this isn't freaking tangent

also i'm sure the people you say are pro of it, they actually aren't, they are being knowledgeable that with the predecessor of this version of windows, 8, apps can be removed with a single click, ALL OF IT!!!!, nothing gets left in the system, no junk or useless registry entries, the only thing left are used generated files saved in the user folder, freaking nothing is left, those people know that and they are just saying this isn't a big of enough deal to raise the freaking pitchfork and burn ms to the ground were you and others seem to thinks so, now if this was uninstalable i wouldn't even discuss it and agree with you but this is not the case, and its very but very far from being that way

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm super pissed at MS for this, not because it's a bundled game that is stupidly easy to remove, but because it's a "game" that was "made" by King. (I use quotes because I don't consider it a real game and King never made the damn thing anyway, they pilfered it from someone else and passed it off as their own)

I absolutely and utterly loathe King, they are some of the scummiest thieves ever to disgrace the term game developer.

Go and look up some of the shit they pulled, for example, a guy made a game in memory of his mother who had passed away, and King saw it, stole the game exactly as it was, removed the bits relating to his mum (the game had a message at the end about his mum) and then posted it as their own, they then had the audacity to claim copyright infringement and had the original taken down from the Play store and the App store. His game was eventually reinstated, but it should never have been removed in the first place.

And that isn't even half of it, they issued a DMCA takedown notice to a game developer for the use of the word "Saga" and that word comes from Norse mythology and the effin' game was about Norse mythology in the first place, it had nothing to do with anything King spews out! And it was a PC exclusive to bloody boot!

Like I say, I utterly despise King, they are a disgusting company and the sooner the scumbags go out of business the better, and that's why I'm upset, I don't mind microsoft bundling games, Pinball was awesome and Minesweeper was a decent time waster, and Solitair was awesome too, but when I upgrade to Windows 10, I don't care how I do it, any trace of that shit is getting deleted, and in fact I may actually disconnect from the internet when I'm installing Win 10 just to make sure there's no outbound traffic for that POS before I can remove it.

I might sound irrational, it is only a game after all, but when you talk about King, I get unbelievably angry, even just seeing a glimpse of their logo sets my blood pressure soaring.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Where was your outrage about Microsoft bundling the Skype app in Windows 8.x?

This is one single app so you saying choose between one with MS only apps and one with Candy Crush, McAfee, Ask toolbar, and "a bunch of other bloatware" make zero sense because this conversation has absolutely nothing to do with McAfee, Ask toolbar other a bunch of other bloatware. This is one, single, very easily uninstallable app that will never prompt or bug you for anything and never get in your way without you launching the app.

It just sets a bad precedent.

I am tired of these "Its just one" arguments, we know things like that tend to grow. I don't doubt some other company if frothing at the mouth wanting a opportunity like this.

As for the Skype app... Isn't that a Microsoft product? It's one thing with 1st party software. Its another with 3rd party stuff.

The game is most likely a Universal App. That means you can cleanly, and full uninstall it super fast. Just right-click and select Uninstall, and all traces of it will be gone.

Not necessarily.  Would still be a part of the registry.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Yeah.

And it's not like windows didn't use to bundle games with the OS.

Space Cadet was actually good though.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

as long as there isnt a "free" U2 album on there well be fine

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Candy Crush is not a big game at all. Everyone's acting like it will be hogging precious gigabytes of storage space.

However, it does bring up the question: What OTHER apps will they throw at you. That being said, I don't think it will be a big deal to uninstall them once you're done.

It just seems like a very low move for a company of microsofts stature.

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

If it's easy enough to remove/disable and it's being included to subsidize the cost, then I'm okay with it.

I don't see why it is needed to subsidize their costs when apple is capable of releasing their os's and office suite for free...

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

i'm sorry but that's the worst analogy you could come up with, forcing a big dildo into someone's asshole (aka rape), a terrible experience no living life form should never suffer, is the same as bundling, at the worst case scenario, a simple fucking game into a computer operating system that can't be removed, if that was the case canonical should be burning for bundling an amazon link in ubuntu and that's not the case at all (also i'm 99.99% sure you can remove it as soon the OS is ready to use, since you can already do it with almost anything built on modern/universal apps), if you want an analogy, i would says this is like those annoying salesman working on a promotional stand that they drag you into a showcase of their wares, offering you some free shit if you buy something, then, you, polity saying no and leave, its annoying but is not the fucking end of your life, kinda like your damn rape analogy suggest, another way of looking at it, is like freaking minesweeper or solitaire but built by a third party developer (which btw people complained that you had to download those game from the store and not be already installed in the OS)

they dropped their bullshit attempt at trademarking those words a couple of months afterward, never tried it again since that

first see above, second, the case involving stealing the idea from another dev was settle like 1 or 2 years ago, the guy got fully compensated and say he had no beef with king anymore

im not siding with king, they are as annoying as someone like zinga but it annoys me the fuck out when people keep beating a fucking dead horse even years afterward, doesn't matter if the related one is satan or jesus

Doesn't really matter. It's not like I follow every little thing King does. Good for them that they realized how pointless this patent trolling attitude was, but the fact remains it did happen and it's a bit of a reputation killer for many. Many people who care about ethics still have a negative view of King and would rather their shiny new OS didn't remind them of a sad day in gaming.

Edit: I'll even go so far as the say kudos to King for dropping these issues.Still doesn't mean I'd want their game bundled on my new OS.

I'm pretty sure every other version of Windows I've ever used, came with some sort of pre-installed games on it. 

Don't see why this matters in the slightest.

This is just one game. The only windows OS I remember installing that didn't have games bundled with it is windows 8.1 but every other windows OS from quite some time had games installed with it.

What OEMs do is quite different. They bundle multiple apps and they can be often hard to get rid of like nortan or mcafee. That's the real problem. Hard to get ride of, not knowing what's good or not unless you know what these programs are which the average person doesn't, and having a bunch of them.

This is one game, easily uninstalled so that Microsoft can make money even when the OS is a FREE upgrade.

The GS6 does come bundled with apps but the best thong is that they are almost all removable and there isn't as many bundled apps.

There is nothing wrong with bundled aps. It becomes a problem when there is a lot, are bad, unwanted because we wont use them, and not able to uninstall them or difficult to. That's why people complain about android and oems that sell windows products. You can't uninstall on android and it can be difficult on windows, they tend to suck or just be unwanted, and there is lots of them.

Would you be happy with me shoving a 2 feet dildo up your butt? By the way, I am going to shove it up you even if you say no, because you have no saying in this.

Please don't whine about it either. It's both a free dildo and you are allowed to remove it afterwards!

That analogy about the dildo does work well with bundling something like McAfee because of how much of a pain it is to have it on the PC and to remove it. LOL

if i went ahead and bought windows 10, will i have to deal with this crap? I am seriously considering

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I don't see why it is needed to subsidize their costs when apple is capable of releasing their os's and office suite for free...

Cause Apple sells hardware, MS only has the Surface and the Surface doesn't draw in big money like say, even a MacBook Air does. Apple can afford to give free software because they make up for it on the hardware several times over. MS has always charged on software and let others provide the hardware, now they are blurring the lines with those roles by giving away free software AND having hardware directly from them. 

Cause Apple sells hardware, MS only has the Surface and the Surface doesn't draw in big money like say, even a MacBook Air does. Apple can afford to give free software because they make up for it on the hardware several times over. MS has always charged on software and let others provide the hardware, now they are blurring the lines with those roles by giving away free software AND having hardware directly from them. 

The Surface is actually on the way to being Microsoft's next billion-dollar product line. Back in October, sales of the Surface Pro 3 alone brought in $908 million in revenue for Microsoft.

Took them a few tries, but I think the SP3 was where the Surface line broke even.

As long as I can remove it then I am okay with it. I only use Windows to game. Usually I am on my Linux VM or on my Linux laptop.

im fine with it as long as someone makes a convienent uninstaller program LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It will be stupidly easy to uninstall and will probably result in windows cheaper to get...yes please

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

this is better that what windows used to be with bundled software in the OS where everything was fully embedded and would cause a shit ton of problem if they were somehow removed

Anyone remember Windows Vista and all the pre-installed bloatware "features" it had?

I don't think the outrage among people here is because there will be X game pre-installed in their future Windows, it's the fact that there is one more thing a person has to go through and remove before actually using the system (by remove i mean uninstall, disabling something doesn't really make it go away, it just becomes outdated while still taking space). Much like it happens with smartphones - before you input your information and accounts, better disable all the bloatware so they don't start asking for updates every hour and cause your phone to lag and fail (low end smartphones are especially guilty of that, no matter the OS).

While I do understand the reason behind all these "features", I also think there should be a paid bloatware-free option (because if something is free, usually means that you're the product). 

Yeah.

And it's not like windows didn't use to bundle games with the OS.  

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_inline_njle8iKN3l1rqzdcq.png ;)

Space Cadets, was the best pinball game ever! Until some dingle berry, deleted the source code (which is why it was never updated)

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro