The Witcher 3 was downgraded from what was shown in 2013 - Now with PS4 Comparison video

That's the gist of this thread though, isn't it? It's speculation on our part. If we're wrong, we're wrong. I don't think anyone here is going to blindly believe that the game is actually downgraded when we see the final product in a review/port report video soon when the [NDA] (there's a better word for this, but I can't think of it off the top of my head for the life of me) is up and we get the actual information from the people who have their hands on the game.

Oh certainly and if you read my (fairly but surprisingly edited) posts on this thread I said I fully support everybody going out on a limb and question CDPR on it, all games should be questioned. I just think that some of you are perhaps going out on a limb into thin ice by looking at the source but again, question away and hold off on preorders by all means, vigilance is a.o.k. in my book.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Honestly, games such as Minecraft have shit graphics in their vanilla state and people have plenty of fun playing it. Even old games such as Halo Custom Edition and Combat Evolved have loads of people playing them while having fun. Graphics are all well and good but they do not define how good (fun, in-depth etc) the actual gameplay is (unless the dev is retarded and has the graphics set to migraine or epileptic fit).

That being said CDPR advertised The Witcher 3 with better graphics etc, then the were prepared to deliver. This is about principle, with CDPR blatantly advertising their game falsely. 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Honestly how hard is it to change settings for a console version compared to the pc version to make sure it runs well? It can't be that hard with what I know from dabbling in game engines. Just develop to your fullest extent on PC and tone things down for consoles until you hit your target frame rate at the given resolution. There is no excuse for lack of man power as an excuse to gimp the PC version.

I thought better of CDPR than this, the PC version better be up to snuff.

Always trying to find reason.

Oh certainly and if you read my (fairly but surprisingly edited) posts on this thread I said I fully support everybody going out on a limb and question CDPR on it, all games should be questioned. I just think that some of you are perhaps going out on a limb into thin ice by looking at the source but again, question away and hold off on preorders by all means, vigilance is a.o.k. in my book.

I think that's the other point someone was getting at (forgot who, not gonna go back and read) is that even if the game looks good in the reveals, it could possibly turn out to not be that way at all and you'd very well feel burned on your pre-order. But not to change anything I've said, but only to add context, it just wouldn't surprise me at all if the game's visuals were downgraded when compared to the stuff they were showing off as the PC version.

That EA mission to release was a goddamn tragedy, Watch Dogs never felt like a complete game, more hollow than anything for me. I just couldn't get through it, and the choppy performance really soured my desire to keep up playing at all. 

Forgot to reply to this bit:

The concept of Watch Dogs enticed me more than the game, which kept me playing the game. It had enough elements to keep me interested but yes, it was missing a ton of stuff that could make it better; I'd list some things other than the visuals but I haven't played the game in a good bit so I don't wanna make shit up.

The only other games that have done that to me was Assassin's Creed titles.

Now I feel real good about not preordering. I'm sure I'll pick it up some time later, but definitely not for full price if it truly is just a console port instead of a proper PC version. That being said I still need to beat the original game.

His logic is kinda broken. I've shit more on the need for people to pre-order this game than I have the game itself. I've also blasted them for trying to differentiate what DLC is. DLC is DLC. Thats it. Stop trying to sugarcoat it by length. It was digital content made after the fact and costs money. D.L.C.

If you honestly think there is no difference between LoL dlc and Skyrim dlc, you are an extremely naive person. At least understand that it can be a difference of an order of magnitude of energy, time, skill, etc, needed to create game specific dlc.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I've shit more on the need for people to pre-order this game than I have the game itself. I've also blasted them for trying to differentiate what DLC is. DLC is DLC. Thats it. Stop trying to sugarcoat it by length. It was digital content made after the fact and costs money. D.L.C.

I have to strongly disagree here.  Would you still call it DLC if it was only available in box sets?  Length totally factors into what is classified as DLC, at least in modern terms.  Sword skin "expansion packs" are not a thing, and "expansion packs" are called expansion packs cos they expand the game, considerably so in most cases.  DLC is a relatively new term for nickel and diming customers.  Expansion packs have been a part of games since the existence of games.

Do you consider HL2 and it's episodes DLC?  Yuri's Revenge?  WoW expansions?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I have to strongly disagree here.  Would you still call it DLC if it was only available in box sets?  Length totally factors into what is classified as DLC, at least in modern terms.  Sword skin "expansion packs" are not a thing, and "expansion packs" are called expansion packs cos they expand the game, considerably so in most cases.  DLC is a relatively new term for nickel and diming customers.  Expansion packs have been a part of games since the existence of games.

That's a nice point, DLC is shit that's gated out of the game when its released, Expansions are actually still being developed and add hours of extra game play, like mods except made by the original devs.

PMSL

If you honestly think there is no difference between LoL dlc and Skyrim dlc, you are an extremely naive person. At least understand that it can be a difference of an order of magnitude of energy, time, skill, etc, needed to create game specific dlc.

Of course I think that expansion packs merit a higher cost given what you get in return. But you two are arguing semantics. It is all DLC now. Content, that you download. Whether by paid admission or for free. It is DLC. 

I was against the fact that CDPR, along with what seems like every developer/publisher in the industry, was trotting out a season pass for content before their game even went gold. For a supposed game developer that "does it right", they were no better than any other publisher who just attaches on these passes and preorders just to make extra dollars. Maybe I'm old fashioned in that I like to see my content, especially after being properly burned on these packs. Maybe I'm more cautious with how I spend my money on games now than I normally would be. 

If you don't think that having a 20 dollar season pass before your main game is even realized isn't nickel and dining customers, I don't know what to say. All this coming off the back of Destiny and the fantastic shitshow it was not only with the content it had in game but with the pathetic showing of the expansion packs and what little they added. All this from Bungie, another company that "could never do anything wrong and would always look after their fans"

I'm advising caution and not spending your money till you have all the facts.

I didn't necessarily mean that as direct criticism of Victorious Secret for posting it as I don't really expect him or anyone else here to be a journalist. That this was reported on some site is as newsworthy as anything by forum standards, I guess. I just don't trust the source enough to join the hate train until I see what happens with The Witcher 3's reviews.

On that note, I worry that Totalbiscuit is going to pass up covering The Witcher 3 due to his affiliations with GOG, as he's often very careful about things that could be seen as conflicts of interest. I'd personally still like to hear his opinion, with proper disclosures given. I think he'd talk about these kinds of PC specific issues at length.

TotalBiscuit is the best, I hope to see a review from him and will not buy the game until he gives his review/ impressions.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

Downgraded or not, won't be buying the game at full price. Like how I've always been buying my games :P

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Of course I think that expansion packs merit a higher cost given what you get in return. But you two are arguing semantics. It is all DLC now. Content, that you download. Whether by paid admission or for free. It is DLC. 

I was against the fact that CDPR, along with what seems like every developer/publisher in the industry, was trotting out a season pass for content before their game even went gold. For a supposed game developer that "does it right", they were no better than any other publisher who just attaches on these passes and preorders just to make extra dollars. Maybe I'm old fashioned in that I like to see my content, especially after being properly burned on these packs. Maybe I'm more cautious with how I spend my money on games now than I normally would be. 

If you don't think that having a 20 dollar season pass before your main game is even realized isn't nickel and dining customers, I don't know what to say. All this coming off the back of Destiny and the fantastic shitshow it was not only with the content it had in game but with the pathetic showing of the expansion packs and what little they added. All this from Bungie, another company that "could never do anything wrong and would always look after their fans"

They are not even working on the expansion packs yet.  There's nothing wrong with announcing you have plans to expand the game, just a matter of when the public knows about it.  Expansion-sized content don't suddenly get the green light after development of the main game is out, especially ones that add a whole new region never seen before in the game and promises at least 20-30 hours of gameplay.  It's not cut content either for the most part.  I have no reservations about Season Passes, as I would have gotten them regardless of when they would release them.  I thoroughly enjoyed Burial at Sea (actual DLC, couple of hours at most) regardless of when I bought the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass.

Semantics?  You could argue that, except that in every gamer's mind, DLC is something small and negligible and often times seem like omitted content that should have been in the game from the start.  DLC has come to be known as small little insignificant paid content made solely to nickel and dime.  Expansions on the other hand still retain their "this is substantial content and adds considerable amount of things which are new and/or innovative apart from the main  game" sheen to it, and honestly I'd like to keep it that way.

DLC has had a negative connotation to it for a very long time, especially after the Horse Armour debacle, but expansions have never gone down that path.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Downgraded or not, won't be buying the game at full price. Like how I've always been buying my games :P

Same here, I will wait for it to go on sale for 75% off or more like the last Witcher games. I don't mind waiting.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Same here, I will wait for it to go on sale for 75% off or more like the last Witcher games. I don't mind waiting.

Yeap like how watchdogs was on sale for less than $10 previously, it made a bad game like watchdogs quite worth it ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeap like how watchdogs was on sale for less than $10 previously, it made a bad game like watchdogs quite worth it ;)

I missed that sale.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

2) The E3 effects were still in the game, and perfectly functional. All you had to do was flip a flag from off to on and it would work, and then Ubisoft patched it out. Even according to this anonymous source the effects were simply not finished and would therefore not work in the game without extra work put in. There is quite a big difference between "make a game then reduce the quality so that it looks more similar on all the platforms" and "make a game for all platforms and then increase the detail on one of them, but not increase it as much as it theoretically could with more time and money thrown at it".

People parroting this myth really get annoying, and im sure the guy who made the worse is really tired of his work being treated as "flipping a switch" too

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It is all DLC now. Content, that you download. Whether by paid admission or for free. It is DLC.

To be fair, I don't think the terminology is important. I'm sure you recognize that the kind of "expansion packs" we used to get aren't the kind of "DLC" we often get today. I think CDPR's attempt to distinguish between the two terms is intended as a way to say, "The stuff the other publishers call 'DLC' today will be free for our game." I personally think throwaway DLC is pretty cool when it's free. Bring on the free horse armor.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see what's wrong with how they're doing this. A fair price for real content added months after the game's release is exactly how gamers want this to be done, isn't it?

People parroting this myth really get annoying, and im sure the guy who made the worse is really tired of his work being treated as "flipping a switch" too

@cmh175 took it upon him as much, but even he gave up

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393192

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

sigh...shit happens, technical issues present issues and then the developer denies there was ever problems, the internet over reacts (when does this ever NOT happen) claims of betrayal and broken promiese from an apperent relationship happens.

maybe its me just getting older but I am really tired of this shit, so what if this happens there are way bigger issues going on in life, mind you I dont mean to troll its just that I feel only annoyance that this is even called a "controversy".

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Here's what I know:

The game is gonna look pretty no matter what, and the game will rock. I don't really care that they ran into a wall and had to redo/remove some things. Watch_Dogs also had to be rebuilt, they didn't make the graphics worse just because (however, the game as a whole didn't work in that scenario).

the game still looks good but not 2013 good

That says it all in my opinion. the game looked better 2 years ago, before consoles existed.

That's not how it's supposed to work. things are meant to get better, not worse.

i like turtles

I do not understand this decision.  Why not just build something that will make modern PCs cry and downscale it for the consoles since they're essentially using similar architecture now?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I do not understand this decision.  Why not just build something that will make modern PCs cry and downscale it for the consoles since they're essentially using similar architecture now?

Like Crysis 3-I'm still amazed at how much was squeezed out of the Xbox 360.

PMSL

Why are people surprised games are written for the lowest common denominator? They always have been. Game development is expensive as hell and producers put tremendous pressure on development houses to meet deadlines. We all know PC AAA gaming is all about getting better results than consoles by brute force, not by optimizations for us.