AMD Radeon R9 390X Teaser Pic – Definitely Water Cooled + Small Form Factor

BiG StroOnZ

Maxwell I can't argue with whatsoever, but other than the 290(X)s, AMD generally had decent heat output for all of their cards. They weren't far from their nVidia counterparts.

Also the 9590? O.o

The rest of the 200 series had passable TDP but it was nothing to shout about. The 280X started life as a competitor to the 580, and beat it both in TDP and performance, but that doesn't necessarily mean it makes the transition down to mid-range all that gracefully imo.

And yeah the FX 9590 was the first (to my knowledge) product that AMD shipped with a watercooler because it was just overclocked to hell rather than being anything particularly new or exciting.

This is the third time they've done this, and you're wondering why they're getting a reputation.

Maxwell I can't argue with whatsoever, but other than the 290(X)s, AMD generally had decent heat output for all of their cards. They weren't far from their nVidia counterparts and even beat them in certain cases..yet jokes and over generalizations are made. I don't get it.

Also the 9590? O.o

The 780 ti and 290x were basically on par as far as heat prouduction/power consumption, but AMD gets a bad rep because of their bad stock cooler.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The 780 ti and 290x were basically on par as far as heat prouduction/power consumption, but AMD gets a bad rep because of their bad stock cooler.

My 780 is not the quietest thing ever. I can't imagine a 290x. That would just force me to spend $400+ on a custom loop so that my ears don't bleed.

My 780 is not the quietest thing ever. I can't imagine a 290x. That would just force me to spend $400+ on a custom loop so that my ears don't bleed.

Dang, you're ignorant.

They're are even better coolers available (IMO) for AMD cards than for Green Team cards, and seeing as how reference AMD cards are irrelevant SINCE THEY ARE NO LONGER PRODUCED, you need to step back in line

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

If only the whole card was single slot

waterblock yo

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

only hdmi and dp. time for adapters for thosw whos screen dont have hdmi.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The 9590 comment threw me off because I thought we were exclusively keeping this to GPUs. @TheCovertCamper said that AMD cards are hot, not the CPUs. I can't argue with the FX series at all. Intel has them beat lol.

The 280X competes with the 7XX cards in it's tier temperature wise though? Excluding reference coolers (because those suck at both ends of the spectrum), the 280X does very well.

I still don't see why AMD gets bad rep for this minus the 290(X) (and even then, that is with reference coolers most of the time). Maxwell, I can understand, but it has only been out for a year and the flagship cards for less than that. The jokes have been here for as long as I can remember...

I'm talking about AMD as a company, not their GPUs specifically.

And temperature isn't what I'm referring to either. As the 295X2 showed, you put a radiator on two 290Xs and you can get them to run at 60 celsius: your room will get toasty doing it, but the cards won't throttle. Actual heat power outputted concerns me more than temperature.

that looks fake not even sure why just cant see amd designing a card like that

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Uh you know the stock card literally is watercooled, right? Like... it's not a joke. The card literally is so hot that AMD forwent air cooling entirely...

Like how people can call this a fanboyish statement is beyond me: the picture has the fucking rad in the background o.0

AMD cards are so hot now that the stock ones are watercooled  :P

there is an air cooled variant  

Soo a Stock single GPU needs a watercooler to function... 

The heat output/ power draw on this thing will be enormous... 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Dang, you're ignorant.

They're are even better coolers available (IMO) for AMD cards than for Green Team cards, and seeing as how reference AMD cards are irrelevant SINCE THEY ARE NO LONGER PRODUCED, you need to step back in line

I know. There are better 780 cards than mine. There are better 290x cards. Just saying, most 780ti and 780 cards are probably quieter than their 290x equivalents. This is simply my assumption as I have never had experience with aftermarket versions of either card.

there is an air cooled variant  

We don't know yet. There wasn't an air cooled 295x2 or 9590.

Okay, I know that WCCF has been accurate these past few times, but really now...

Small-form? Not really, but HBM.

Watercooled? Perhaps, since it's been a small trend from them lately but only with the 295X2 and 9590, in which the GPU was a double-unit, slightly unlikely.

Specs? Fourth the frequency of the 290, yet bandwidth is multiplied. But again, HBM, however I have doubts...

But all of these together? I have my concerns, read above.

But as always, lets just wait and see what happens.

[witty signature]

AMD cards are so hot now that the stock ones are watercooled  :P

Uh you know the stock card literally is watercooled, right? Like... it's not a joke. The card literally is so hot that AMD forwent air cooling entirely...

Like how people can call this a fanboyish statement is beyond me: the picture has the fucking rad in the background o.0

What you see is likely the WCE version for high end enthusiasts. The stock R9 390X should be air cooled as it's rumored to have only a 300w TDP. If it happens to not be air cooled then it's not because the card runs hot but because they wanted to provide an all around better cooling solution (300w TDP can be easily air cooled look at the R9 290X non-reference). The "AMD runs hot" nonsense only started because of Hawaii and you know why that happened? Shitty reference air coolers not because of a hot core. If you want to be statistically right Nvidia is the company that makes cards that will burn your house down. That's not a biased opinion but actual fact.

We don't know yet. There wasn't an air cooled 295x2 or 9590.

Most 9590's were... "Air cooled"...

Most 9590s didn't ship with a stock cooler, only a special edition shipped with a water cooler, and i've only ever seen 2 of those in the wild since the 9590 released several years ago

Awesome. More people talking about how the 390x HAD to be shipped with a water cooler because it runs so hot.

You guys know people overclock their 290Xs right? That IS a thing.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I actually like the push toward Watercooling for cards, and I really do hope these're in this form factor.  While a long graphics card is amazingly beautiful, there's something nice about a small form factor card.  Especially if this damn thing boasts TitanX performance at half the size, lower cost, and with watercooling for that overclocking headroom.  Man, is it a nice time to be considering an upgrade.

the r9 290x had a 290W tdp and this is only a 10W increase so air cooler should be able to handle it 

Why is the clockspeed still remains 1 Ghz ? What is this ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Why is the clockspeed still remains 1 Ghz ? What is this ?

Fiji uses AMD graphics IP v8 (Tonga) so don't expect higher clocks as the architecture itself needs to be suited for high clocks. Otherwise the card will become too power hungry and run hotter than it needs to as AMD would likely need to crank up the reference volts to accommodate higher frequencies. Besides they really don't need to touch the frequency as they stacked +1280 more shaders onto the card over the R9 290X.

Like how people can call this a fanboyish statement is beyond me: the picture has the fucking rad in the background 

The GPU and Memory are stack on top of each other, using a CLC to cool that single combined package is the best choice. HBM is alot hotter than GDDR to my understanding.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Soo a Stock single GPU needs a watercooler to function... 

The heat output/ power draw on this thing will be enormous... 

Just because it has a water cooler does not mean it will be power hungry or output a lot of heat. it could mean high end card comes with a high end cooler for better noise, and turbo/oc headroom.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

oh lawd that's sexy

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Just because it has a water cooler does not mean it will be power hungry or output a lot of heat. it could mean high end card comes with a high end cooler for better noise, and turbo/oc headroom.

This.

Amazing how the GTX 900 series have a lower power draw, and lower TDP....yet EVGA GTX 980 Hybrid.

Sweg, Bruh

04G-P4-1989-KR_XL_1.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>