MSI Debuts AMD 990FXA GAMING Motherboard With USB 3.1 and NVMe Support

zappian

msi-990fxa_-gaming-product_pictures-boxs

After launching a set of eight new FM2+ motherboards earlier this week, MSI once again provided a new hope for AMD enthusiasts with the debut of the MSI AMD 990FXA GAMING motherboard, featuring USB 3.1. It's also the "world's first" AMD motherboard with NVMe support.

The new MSI AMD 990FXA GAMING motherboard has the usual assortment of enthusiast-level features you would expect from MSI's GAMING series, such as Crossfire and SLI support, plentiful I/O and expansion options, Audio Boost 2, and Killer LAN. In addition, the new AM3+ socket board sports two USB 3.1 Type-A ports in the rear, and it is the first AMD chipset motherboard to support NVMe, finally introducing next gen features to AMD's fan base.

My take on this:

Too little to late . Investing so much on an AM3+ platform nowadays is silly since the LGA 1150 has the best cpus. i3/i5 for gaming and xeon E3 for productivity.

Also having a "Gaming" tag line on a am3+ motherboard makes me cringe given how bad those cpus are for gaming.

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-motherboard-990fxa-nvme,29051.html

Good job MSI too bad AMD cpus are relatively weak.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This is a dead socket with a dead community. 10pts to MSI

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I agree with you, a high end AM3+ motherboard doesn't make a lot of sense. If this had been 80 bucks, I could see people considering this for a new system or as an upgrade to their (possibly outdated or am2/2+/3) motherboard.

All in all I'd have preferred to see this with an fm2+ socket, that's where the magic is going to happen if at all.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Very meh with the NVMe... They need to present it over SFF 8639 for it to be worth a damn.

Very pretty board though.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

At least it doesn't have a poop brown PCB.

Hopefully MSI doesn't do what Asrock does and have a PCB that is somewhere between black and brown depending on the light. On my Asrock board it is poop brown if I shine the light on my phone on it but under normal lighting it is almost black. 

Hopefully MSI doesn't do what Asrock does and have a PCB that is somewhere between black and brown depending on the light. On my Asrock board it is poop brown if I shine the light on my phone on it but under normal lighting it is almost black.

Yeah I know. But I think that this one is 100% black. Tho, don't quote me on this.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Too little to late . Investing so much on an AM3+ platform nowadays is silly since the LGA 1150 has the best cpus. i3/i5 for gaming and xeon E3 for productivity.

Also having a "Gaming" tag line on a am3+ motherboard makes me cringe given how bad those cpus are for gaming.

The amount of bias in this statement makes me "cringe" .

Replace bias with facts and you have an accurate sentence.

d1b73da9_http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-sto

It's bad when an I3 beats an 8 Core...

Replace bias with facts and you have an accurate sentence.

-snip-

I'm just being cheeky at this point but hooray!

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

EDIT: on a slightly more serious note with the introduction of DX12 and much better multicore support the 8350 may come back as a really good value proc for modern games. Only time will tell i suppose. 

ALSO GIMMI ZEN PLZ

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I'm just being cheeky at this point but hooray!

EDIT: on a slightly more serious note with the introduction of DX12 and much better multicore support the 8350 may come back as a really good value proc for modern games. Only time will tell i suppose. 

ALSO GIMMI ZEN PLZ

If you only play BF4 xD

But thats the only game where FX inst terrible.

Good Guy MSI.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

-snip-

This is a dead socket with a dead community. 10pts to MSI

What you are failing to see is that this board will be good for current owners of an AM3+ CPU who are looking for a better board than they already have.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD