Google Project Fi - Google's Own Network Officially Launched

For $20 a month you get all the basics (talk, text, Wi-Fi tethering, and international coverage in 120+ countries), and then it's a flat $10 per GB for cellular data while in the U.S. and abroad. 1GB is $10/month, 2GB is $20/month, 3GB is $30/month, and so on. Since it's hard to predict your data usage, you'll get credit for the full value of your unused data. Let's say you go with 3GB for $30 and only use 1.4GB one month. You'll get $16 back, so you only pay for what you use. 

As reported previously, Google will operate its wireless service with the help of both T-Mobile and Sprint; customers will have access to both networks, and Google's service will intelligently switch between them and Wi-Fi to maintain strong reception. "We developed new technology that gives you better coverage by intelligently connecting you to the fastest available network at your location whether it's Wi-Fi or one of our two partner LTE networks," the company said. Project Fi also supports voice calls and texting over Wi-Fi, lending subscribers more flexibility and how and where they can communicate with their contacts.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/8467433/google-launches-mobile-service

nexus-6.jpg

Damn boy! This is going to be GREAT for people in the U.S. The ONLY drawback is that the only possible phone available is the Nexus 6. Granted, it's not a bad phone, but this might push some people away due to the huge size of the phone and its general flaws. In any case, this is dirt cheap, and is pretty darn interesting, especially considering you can access the T-Mobile and Sprint network. Pricewise, it's amazingly competitive. I would absolutely love to switch over to theis network, and potentially bring my entire family over to this, making a huge switch over. However, it seems to be quite cost prohibitive considering the high cost of the phone initially. I would love to see a CHEAP Nexus device at around $300 like the Nexus 5 that would work with this network. Then, Google would have a winner on its hands, with a cheap phone and wireless plan to absolutely force carriers to innovate. This is going to change things, though I'm curious why Google wanted to go this direction. Considering its reluctance and lack of desire to become an ISP, I don't really know why it wants to become a cell carrier. Oh well, I'm not complaining. GO GOOGLE!

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Interesting. I want to see how this evolves in the US cell carrier market. It's cheap as balls right now but for how long, we don't know.

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

looks awesome to me !

is it in canada ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

As cool as this is, it's going to be extremely hard to pry me away from my $50 unlimited data plan. Although I do love how Project Fi will switch between T-Mobile and Sprint for the best coverage and how Google will pay you back for data you didn't use.

COMIC SANS

Nice!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I hope they allow people outside the US to buy sim cards.  This would be great for trips to the states and to other countries as well.

So.......... I'm better off getting tmobile's $30 plan so that I'm not tied bound with the nexus 6, which arguably is a terrible phone.

Edit: Looks like this will cost $70 a month for the phone and 3 gigabytes of lte(do they count using their wifi towards the data count? If not, can't everyone log on to their nationwide wifi?) on a 24 month contract.

Goodbye ATT, hello Fi! I'm glad I bought my Nexus 6 from the Motorola website instead of AT&T.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Olts of potential, but its US only and locked to a Phablet, instead of a real mobile phone/smart phone.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But you're still getting fucked over with those prices.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

But you're still getting fucked over with those prices.

I don't like their pricing structure because everytime you're using data, you're actively thinking "if I don't use data right now, I'll be saving money" whereas if you have the traditional tiered data plan, maybe with rollover, you can just keep using your data and not have to worry. 

Unlimited talk and text for $20 a month? If this gets big (they also start using AT&T lines etc) you can bet I'll be getting this. I pay $25 a month for 250 minutes and unlimited texting as it is. Phone service pricing has been high for no reason for a long time now. It's about time someone stepped in and undercut the big guys.

Unlimited talk and text for $20 a month? If this gets big (they also start using AT&T lines etc) you can bet I'll be getting this. I pay $25 a month for 250 minutes and unlimited texting as it is. Phone service pricing has been high for no reason for a long time now. It's about time someone stepped in and undercut the big guys.

Tmobile used to have cheap talk and text plans, but I don't see them anymore. Project Fi seems to be a rip of Republic Wireless but with much less freedom. 

looks awesome to me !

is it in canada ?

LMFAO....you really believe us canadians would get this?!..HA!

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

At those rates, I'd be paying more with Google. :(

So for the calls does it use VoIP like freedompop? Also I would consider this if it was not only for the Nexus 6, come one Google this is easy money for you with the lack of competition for the price.

Sounds cool, but I wouldn't even consider it until there is guaranteed Oneplus One support. Why would you lock you entire network to one device?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Why would you lock you entire network to one device?

This is probably just for the short term. It's their hardware, they know how it works and can guarantee the experience.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

I'm not tied bound with the nexus 6, which arguably is a terrible phone.

The Nexus 6 is a very good phone. Sure the camera isn't great compared to other flagships but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it

Life.exe is missing

One thing I really like about this is how simple the plan is. $20 base + $10/GB of data used. Also, no bullshit regarding carriers. Run down to The States for a weekend and you don't have to worry about being raked over the coals for data usage.

Just to put these rates into perspective for my fellow Canadians (who can't use it but can hope to dream) here is how Google Fi stacks up against a Rogers BYOD plan.

• 1GB:  Rogers - $65 / Google - $30
  • 2GB:  Rogers - $70 / Google - $40
  • 4GB:  Rogers - $90 / Google - $60

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

I don't like their pricing structure because everytime you're using data, you're actively thinking "if I don't use data right now, I'll be saving money" whereas if you have the traditional tiered data plan, maybe with rollover, you can just keep using your data and not have to worry. 

The pricing structure is horrible but that's another story, but my point was that here in Denmark you can get unlimited text and talk and 16GB 4G data for 21.50USD. And that's with no contract

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Only paying for the data you use?

Holy shit, thank you so much google

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The pricing structure is horrible but that's another story, but my point was that here in Denmark you can get unlimited text and talk and 16GB 4G data for 21.50USD. And that's with no contract

You can't really compare Scandinavian data plans to North American data plans; it's like comparing a ferrari to a go-kart.

The pricing scheme Google is offering is very competitive for a North American market.