[Build Log] Illya v2.0 - The Tiny Titan [RTX 3090 x Sliger SM580]

spacer.png

Build Log: Illya v2.0, The Tiny Titan

Good Evening LTT! It's been about 7 years now since my first ever personal rig build--since then I've graduated, started a job, built hundreds of PCs as a side-job. With all the changes and growth I've gone through all these years, I've decided to put all I have learned into this machine. The main guideline I have for this build is: Build a small, compact desktop that deceptively outputs performance inversely proportional to her size.

Illya version 2 will be a high-ish end desktop that is still built around the mITX Mobo form factor. However, in contrast with her first form (a mid-tower mITX Prodigy), I've decided to follow the way of the SFFPC--I shall attempt to place all this raw power into a sub 20-liter case. After months of looking for such a case that can also house a triple slot 3090FE--I finally found the answer: Sliger's SM580.

I need Illya v2.0 to handle my tech hobbies and real life work: 3440x1440 +100FPS Gaming, Blender 3D renders, Editing my photography (Lightroom and Photoshop), and Unreal Editor (both v4 and v5 now).

In my early years, I've always been wary of watercooling--"Oh another point of failure" or "It'll leak all over," I thought. I even held a sort of disdain for it in my first build log here on LTT. After a good half-a-decade I started to pivot from this view as I started my full time job and subsequently a part-time job building custom PCs for clients. AIOs are pretty safe, some even have great full-PC replacement warranties to boot. Plus, if I'm trying to cram in all this performance in a 15.9 liter case, water is pretty much the only way to go.

In summary/tl:dr: Combine a 15.9 liter case (SM580) with an RTX 3090 and an old i7-8700k @5GHz on all cores whilst trying not to make this baby burn.

Illya v2.0's Parts List

Case:                                     Sliger SM580 (Dual Acrylic Panel version)

CPU:                                      Intel i7-8700K (Delidded and Liquid Metal'd via Silicon Lottery)

GPU:                                      Nvidia RTX 3090 Founder's Edition

CPU Cooler:                        NZXT Kraken Z63

Motherboard:                    AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITXac

RAM:                                     HyperX Predator RGB 32GB @3600MHz

Boot NVME:                        Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVME 

Main Games NVME:       Crucial P5 1TB M.2 NVME 

Auxiliary Games SSD:   ADATA SU800 2TB SSD

Data Storage SSD:           Samsung 860 QVO 4TB SSD

Radiator Fans:                  2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM

Intake Fans:                       2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM

PSU:                                      Corsair SF750

PSU Cables:                       Custom made by DreambigByRay (Etsy)

Updates Below:

I'll update this as I go. I'm just having fun taking it slow and steady. I'll add updates below as well like my last build log. See you in the next update!

Update #1 [11/30/2020] Photo Op and Test Fit with the RTX 3090

Spoiler

Update #1 [11/30/2020] Photo Op and Test Fit with the RTX 3090

I actually received the 3090 back in October, looking back I should've started the build log back then--but I had some sort of anxiety since I've not logged into LTT in years. But what matters is that I'm here now! Here are some photos--I haven't taken photos in months so this was a good treat for me:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Onto the test fit:

So after contacting Sliger both on the phone and online, I was pleased to hear that their SM580 can accommodate the RTX 3090. Here are some test fits photos:

spacer.png

It's almost comedic how this thing fits:

spacer.png

About 3mm clearance realistically when I measured. I'm glad I was able to nab a Founder's Edition otherwise I don't think anything else would fit.

Overall a good day, I've gotten over that slump of writing/starting this build log! See you all on the next update

Update #2 [12/04/2020] Custom PSU Cables and Vinyl Wrapping the SM580

Spoiler

Update #2 [12/04/2020] Custom PSU Cables and Vinyl Wrapping the SM580

Illya v1 was built in a Bitfenix Prodigy case, the mITX version. It was amazing, perfect for my college student lifestyle back then. We're moving constantly every 9 months so its size and portability was much appreciated. But still, it was time to move on.

What I thought I would miss the most however, was the colour. Oh man that red colour drew me the first time I saw it. The SM580 discontinued their red version of the case recently. They only had black, white, or gray which kind of disappointed me. So I had a choice--go boring with black/grey/white or take matters into my own hands? 

spacer.png

I chose to use my hands. It took me a while to find a close enough vinyl film to match the red Prodigy but we did it--after ordering a few sample sized pieces we settled with 3M's M13 Matte Red. We'll have a side-by-side comparison photo a little further down this log.

spacer.png

And so the wrap began. Actually, for others who are thinking about wrapping your cases, some things to make your life easier would be:

• A sharp pair of scissors
  • A vinyl squeegee/applicator (it helps to get one that has felt on one end)
  • An exacto knife
  • A heatgun or hairdryer
  • Microfiber cloth

I would say take your time and be patient. I've ruined some of my vinyl by overstretching the pieces over corners. After speaking to a friend about it, I was told that this particular 3M vinyl is pressure activated. Meaning that so long as I don't push the material I can peel it off and on freely.

spacer.png

Voila! The front panel took me about 40ish minutes but that's because I restarted twice. But overall not too shabby from a distance.

spacer.png

I decided not to do the acrylic window panels for now--maybe in the future I'll consider it! Here's that side-by-side shot I mentioned:

spacer.png

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the wrap! Most definitely a fitting homage to her first version. The manufacturers actually messaged me on social media about my "red SM580" and it looks like I was able to fool them! 🤣 Chat log below:

spacer.png

It's great to hear from the creators of this case--it's even better when the actual creators commend your own custom handiwork. I would recommend them to anyone looking for amazing SFF cases. Most definitely one of the best in the market at this time.

Commissioned Custom Cables:

Speaking of custom handiwork, the last part of this update will showcase some custom wrapped PSU cables I commissioned from DreamBigByRay. They're an Etsy merchant taking custom orders for PSU power cables! Some samples of his stuff and pricing (USD) below:

image.thumb.png.446e4671cd70da246086cffd5d82b4a6.png

Since I'm building in a small form factor case, I needed my PSU cables to be as short as I can to save space. I don't have the luxury of hiding yards and feet of cables in such a small case. On top of that, I HATE the 12-pin adaptor with a passion. It's bulky, sticks out at a weird angle, and it'll look hideous in any build! So I contacted Ray's shop, I provided them with my PSU model, exact measurements on how long each cable needed to be, and what pattern and material I wanted them to be wrapped in! Talk about bespoke! I was pleasantly surprised when it came in:

spacer.png

They look so short as if they're only PSU extension cables but I assure you these are full PSU replacements. Look how crisp and clean that 12-pin GPU power cable looks like now! Compare that to the darn bulky extension cable NVIDIA supplies.

The build is coming along slowly. If you've read my update this far, thanks! It's a pretty lengthy update so I appreciate it. More coming soon so I hope to see you all on the next ones!

Update #3 [12/21/2020] Meet The Components

Spoiler

AWOL aside, I've finally got the parts all pretty and photographed--ready for their LTT Build Log debut. Before I start, I would like to give a very special thanks to Noctua for the support with this Tiny Titan build! Big performance can come in small packages (*Wink Wink Nudge Nudge* 😉)--spoiler alert: they can also be quiet and thermally impressive.  

DckFKb6.jpg

Noctua's currently one of the best manufacturers in terms of silent yet efficient cooling solutions on the PC building market. I'd trust and recommend them to anyone thinking of building their own rigs. Anyways, as shown, I'll be using industrialPPCs (Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM) for my exhaust and intake.

3pArrdq.jpg

Onto other parts, Illya's new PSU will be Corsair's SF750. As the name suggests, it's an SFX PSU that provides 750 watts of juice at 80 Plus Platinum efficiency. This part actually took the longest--I had to wait for a wholesaler from China to ship one over (Over a 2 month wait, ordered in October, it came December 5th). 

Illya's CPU cooling solution will be NZXT's Kraken Z63--I chose to pair this with the delidded 8700k due to the amazing cooling performance of this 280mm AIO. The Z/X63/73 series use Asetek's 7th gen pump and coldplate design. It pairs amazingly with the SM580 case and the Noctua NF-A14 fans to keep my system running cool.

9fGgjQ4.jpg

Next up are the RAM and main OS NVME drive. For the RAM, I'm going with Kingston's HyperX Predator RGB RAM. This pair gives us 32GB of Dual Channel memory while running at 3600MHz. In terms of our main OS drive, I opted for a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO plus. In general, I'm keeping as many similar (yet modern) parts as possible with Illya's first version.

S6X78BJ.jpg

Next up are my storage solutions--I'm using IllyaV2 for both work and play so I'm going to get a lot of mileage from this set up. First up is Crucial's P5 1TB NVME, this will serve as my most used/played gaming and app NVME. I'm planning to leverage NVME's speed for my games (usually play open world games). I'm also banking on games with RTX IO to come out--basically, RTX IO allows the GPU to draw data immediately from the NVME drive instead of going through CPU and RAM. I'm adding visual aids below (Article Source Link)

RNpAHA4.jpg

*Quick Note: After building the rig and playing some Cyberpunk, I noticed that the Crucial P5 was staying at a hot 65C. It took a while to cool down. To mitigate this I had to order EKWaterblock's NVME heatsink. Now my temps at artificial load is 52C and idling at 40C.

2nd is ADATA's 2TB SU800 which will serve as my auxiliary games and apps drive. Non-critical apps like CPU-Z, NZXT Cam, etc will live on this drive. Games like Among Us, Space Crew, League of Legends, basically my not-so-played games will also be on here. Last but not least, my main data drive will be a 4TB Samsung 860 QVO. All my storage will be on this drive. My photography hobby alone ate up about 2TB of space on Illya V1 so stepping up to a 4TB was a no brainer.

Oz3xLyZ.jpg

Finally, a quick pic of the CPU and MoBo combo that will tie this whole thing together. The CPU is an i7-8700k delidded by @SiliconLottery (their site), this process all in all took a week (3 days of shipping from Los Angeles to their Texas labs, 1 day of them working and binning the chip, 3 days to ship back from them) I'm very happy with their services and would urge anyone to use them in the future. IllyaV2's chip is binned at top 83% as being able to hit 5GHz at 1.4V (confirmed this myself but it's stable at 1.385V). 

The MoBo is a used AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac which I chose for its extremely high capability to hold CPU clocks 5.0GHz and higher. Got it off of a used PC part seller on EBay--it was hard to find one in working order took me a good month of searching and waiting.

djLpdw5.jpg

That's it for this update! Many thanks for checking out my build log. If you have any questions or comments I try to log in daily and will answer them! See you all on the next update!

Update #4 [03/18/2021] Retroactive Build Process Part 1 (RGB-ing the Noctuas)

Spoiler

The AWOL-ness is strong in this build log lol. BUT here we go. I started toying with the idea of having RGB fans when I realized there isn't a lot of space for LED strips on the build. I wanted some sort of subtle glow/breathing effect whenever I felt like it. After settling with Noctua I had to figure out how to LED-ify them. The solution? Phantek's Halo Lux:

spacer.png

This shot was taken after modifying the thickness of the Halo Luxes to fit the case. The bottom fan slots of the SM580 only has space (thickness-wise) for a standard 140mm or 120mm fan and maybe 2.5mm of breathing room. See below:

RK3LUzA.jpg

This was an issue as the Halo Lux was about 3mm thick so the combined array of RGB add-on and fan would not fit. Solution? I sanded the heck out of the Halos:

CBSuMdE.jpg

Which made them thin enough to fit under the small fan slots.

HWvKMIZ.jpg

tu2uTCi.jpg

This solves the compromise of using Noctua fans but wanting some LED RGB lighting to accent the innards of my build! For the next update, we'll finally start showing how we put this baby together. Took a lot of patience as this was my first sandwich style ITX build. See you all on the next update!

Edited by isHypnophobic
Build Log Update #4 added

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Update #1 [11/30/2020] Photo Op and Test Fit with the RTX 3090

I actually received the 3090 back in October, looking back I should've started the build log back then--but I had some sort of anxiety since I've not logged into LTT in years. But what matters is that I'm here now! Here are some photos--I haven't taken photos in months so this was a good treat for me:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Onto the test fit:

So after contacting Sliger both on the phone and online, I was pleased to hear that their SM580 can accommodate the RTX 3090. Here are some test fits photos:

spacer.png

It's almost comedic how this thing fits:

spacer.png

About 3mm clearance realistically when I measured. I'm glad I was able to nab a Founder's Edition otherwise I don't think anything else would fit.

Overall a good day, I've gotten over that slump of writing/starting this build log! See you all on the next update

Edited by isHypnophobic
Fixed date

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

10 minutes ago, isHypnophobic said:

About 3mm clearance realistically when I measured.

Like a glove.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

3 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Like a glove.

Indeed! But yeah, it was a bit too close for comfort but I'm taking it as a win 🙌

Update #2 [12/04/2020] Custom PSU Cables and Vinyl Wrapping the SM580

Illya v1 was built in a Bitfenix Prodigy case, the mITX version. It was amazing, perfect for my college student lifestyle back then. We're moving constantly every 9 months so its size and portability was much appreciated. But still, it was time to move on.

What I thought I would miss the most however, was the colour. Oh man that red colour drew me the first time I saw it. The SM580 discontinued their red version of the case recently. They only had black, white, or gray which kind of disappointed me. So I had a choice--go boring with black/grey/white or take matters into my own hands? 

spacer.png

I chose to use my hands. It took me a while to find a close enough vinyl film to match the red Prodigy but we did it--after ordering a few sample sized pieces we settled with 3M's M13 Matte Red. We'll have a side-by-side comparison photo a little further down this log.

spacer.png

And so the wrap began. Actually, for others who are thinking about wrapping your cases, some things to make your life easier would be:

• A sharp pair of scissors
  • A vinyl squeegee/applicator (it helps to get one that has felt on one end)
  • An exacto knife
  • A heatgun or hairdryer
  • Microfiber cloth

I would say take your time and be patient. I've ruined some of my vinyl by overstretching the pieces over corners. After speaking to a friend about it, I was told that this particular 3M vinyl is pressure activated. Meaning that so long as I don't push the material I can peel it off and on freely.

spacer.png

Voila! The front panel took me about 40ish minutes but that's because I restarted twice. But overall not too shabby from a distance.

spacer.png

I decided not to do the acrylic window panels for now--maybe in the future I'll consider it! Here's that side-by-side shot I mentioned:

spacer.png

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the wrap! Most definitely a fitting homage to her first version. The manufacturers actually messaged me on social media about my "red SM580" and it looks like I was able to fool them! 🤣 Chat log below:

spacer.png

It's great to hear from the creators of this case--it's even better when the actual creators commend your own custom handiwork. I would recommend them to anyone looking for amazing SFF cases. Most definitely one of the best in the market at this time.

Commissioned Custom Cables:

Speaking of custom handiwork, the last part of this update will showcase some custom wrapped PSU cables I commissioned from DreamBigByRay. They're an Etsy merchant taking custom orders for PSU power cables! Some samples of his stuff and pricing (USD) below:

image.thumb.png.446e4671cd70da246086cffd5d82b4a6.png

Since I'm building in a small form factor case, I needed my PSU cables to be as short as I can to save space. I don't have the luxury of hiding yards and feet of cables in such a small case. On top of that, I HATE the 12-pin adaptor with a passion. It's bulky, sticks out at a weird angle, and it'll look hideous in any build! So I contacted Ray's shop, I provided them with my PSU model, exact measurements on how long each cable needed to be, and what pattern and material I wanted them to be wrapped in! Talk about bespoke! I was pleasantly surprised when it came in:

spacer.png

They look so short as if they're only PSU extension cables but I assure you these are full PSU replacements. Look how crisp and clean that 12-pin GPU power cable looks like now! Compare that to the darn bulky extension cable NVIDIA supplies.

The build is coming along slowly. If you've read my update this far, thanks! It's a pretty lengthy update so I appreciate it. More coming soon so I hope to see you all on the next ones!

Hey, I love your bulid so far and will definitely use it as inspiration for my own bulid (if i ever get my hands on any 30xx)

One question tho, i've seen the Pcie riser only supports 3.0. Is this a problem for the 3090, especially when it comes to futureprooving?

Thanks it advance, keep it going :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! Dig the clean photography work!

Aaah apologies for the AWOL-ness!!

On 12/6/2020 at 11:00 AM, Surias said:

Hey, I love your bulid so far and will definitely use it as inspiration for my own bulid (if i ever get my hands on any 30xx)

One question tho, i've seen the Pcie riser only supports 3.0. Is this a problem for the 3090, especially when it comes to futureprooving?

Thanks it advance, keep it going :)

Thanks so much for visiting my humble build log! Glad it served as good inspiration! So onto your query, I did a little bit of PCIe 3 vs 4 research before going into this--most of my findings show that there isn't (as of now at least with the 30xx series) a difference between the two. Games show a 0-1% deviation in FPS (in PCIe 4's favour) while my productivity stuff like Blender etc shows no difference. Vids for reference:

Thanks for checking out my build!

On 12/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, masterjoe said:

What are the thermals like? I just got a 3090 a few days ago, and I have been debating getting one of these cases.

Hey! So spoiler alert, I've finished building this thing. Part of the AWOL was me enjoying the heck out of this new PC--will update the logs soon. So just for you: thermals are surprisingly good for being dual non-vented acrylic panels, I've undervolted the 3090 to 850mV (@1875MHz) and the CPU's chilling at 5GHz @ 1.38V. Temps (GPU = 73C; CPU = 74-76C) are as shown below:

Full Artificial Load Temps!

On 12/18/2020 at 4:59 PM, Den-Fi said:

Looking good! Dig the clean photography work!

Thanks so much! I learned from the best. Will keep it up :D 

Edited by isHypnophobic
Grammar and Spelling

AWOL aside, I've finally got the parts all pretty and photographed--ready for their LTT Build Log debut. Before I start, I would like to give a very special thanks to Noctua for the support with this Tiny Titan build! Big performance can come in small packages (*Wink Wink Nudge Nudge* 😉)--spoiler alert: they can also be quiet and thermally impressive. 

DckFKb6.jpg

Noctua's currently one of the best manufacturers in terms of silent yet efficient cooling solutions on the PC building market. I'd trust and recommend them to anyone thinking of building their own rigs. Anyways, as shown, I'll be using industrialPPCs (Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM) for my exhaust and intake.

3pArrdq.jpg

Onto other parts, Illya's new PSU will be Corsair's SF750. As the name suggests, it's an SFX PSU that provides 750 watts of juice at 80 Plus Platinum efficiency. This part actually took the longest--I had to wait for a wholesaler from China to ship one over (Over a 2 month wait, ordered in October, it came December 5th). 

Illya's CPU cooling solution will be NZXT's Kraken Z63--I chose to pair this with the delidded 8700k due to the amazing cooling performance of this 280mm AIO. The Z/X63/73 series use Asetek's 7th gen pump and coldplate design. It pairs amazingly with the SM580 case and the Noctua NF-A14 fans to keep my system running cool.

9fGgjQ4.jpg

Next up are the RAM and main OS NVME drive. For the RAM, I'm going with Kingston's HyperX Predator RGB RAM. This pair gives us 32GB of Dual Channel memory while running at 3600MHz. In terms of our main OS drive, I opted for a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO plus. In general, I'm keeping as many similar (yet modern) parts as possible with Illya's first version.

S6X78BJ.jpg

Next up are my storage solutions--I'm using IllyaV2 for both work and play so I'm going to get a lot of mileage from this set up. First up is Crucial's P5 1TB NVME, this will serve as my most used/played gaming and app NVME. I'm planning to leverage NVME's speed for my games (usually play open world games). I'm also banking on games with RTX IO to come out--basically, RTX IO allows the GPU to draw data immediately from the NVME drive instead of going through CPU and RAM. I'm adding visual aids below (Article Source Link)

RNpAHA4.jpg

*Quick Note: After building the rig and playing some Cyberpunk, I noticed that the Crucial P5 was staying at a hot 65C. It took a while to cool down. To mitigate this I had to order EKWaterblock's NVME heatsink. Now my temps at artificial load is 52C and idling at 40C.

2nd is ADATA's 2TB SU800 which will serve as my auxiliary games and apps drive. Non-critical apps like CPU-Z, NZXT Cam, etc will live on this drive. Games like Among Us, Space Crew, League of Legends, basically my not-so-played games will also be on here. Last but not least, my main data drive will be a 4TB Samsung 860 QVO. All my storage will be on this drive. My photography hobby alone ate up about 2TB of space on Illya V1 so stepping up to a 4TB was a no brainer.

Oz3xLyZ.jpg

Finally, a quick pic of the CPU and MoBo combo that will tie this whole thing together. The CPU is an i7-8700k delidded by @SiliconLottery (their site), this process all in all took a week (3 days of shipping from Los Angeles to their Texas labs, 1 day of them working and binning the chip, 3 days to ship back from them) I'm very happy with their services and would urge anyone to use them in the future. IllyaV2's chip is binned at top 83% as being able to hit 5GHz at 1.4V (confirmed this myself but it's stable at 1.385V). 

The MoBo is a used AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac which I chose for its extremely high capability to hold CPU clocks 5.0GHz and higher. Got it off of a used PC part seller on EBay--it was hard to find one in working order took me a good month of searching and waiting.

djLpdw5.jpg

That's it for this update! Many thanks for checking out my build log. If you have any questions or comments I try to log in daily and will answer them! See you all on the next update!

Edited by isHypnophobic
Grammar, Formatting, and Spelling.

I'm literally trying to make the same build. Cant find the power supply for the life of me. Also good tip on undervolting the gpu. A thousands thanks because I didn't think it would it fit :) 

45 minutes ago, masterjoe said:

I'm literally trying to make the same build. Cant find the power supply for the life of me. Also good tip on undervolting the gpu. A thousands thanks because I didn't think it would it fit :) 

Heck yeah! Glad to see a fellow SM580 user--not a lot of us out there no? Yeah you'll find that you need to pop the GPU rear-end first, get the rear IO clear of the PCI holes in the back, then you'll swing the front of the card in. 

There's a slim slim margin when it's in but it's enough. 👍

And yeah the SF750 is such a darn pain to find. I actually forgot that I have another one with an ETA of 12/28/2020 from a different supplier, but at this point that would be a 3 month wait... :(

Thanks for checking out my log! Good luck with your build.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, rxistd said:

Hey, how is this build going? I was considering an RTX 3090 with this case and I would like to see a photo of the completed build.

I've finally gotten around putting up pics of the final product--but due to my busy sched I decided to upload it on instagram first: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL8YHaVH-TP/

I'll upload in-progress pics and completed pics on here at some point--albeit retroactively.

• 3 weeks later...

The AWOL-ness is strong in this build log lol. BUT here we go. I started toying with the idea of having RGB fans when I realized there isn't a lot of space for LED strips on the build. I wanted some sort of subtle glow/breathing effect whenever I felt like it. After settling with Noctua I had to figure out how to LED-ify them. The solution? Phantek's Halo Lux:

spacer.png

This shot was taken after modifying the thickness of the Halo Luxes to fit the case. The bottom fan slots of the SM580 only has space (thickness-wise) for a standard 140mm or 120mm fan and maybe 2.5mm of breathing room. See below:

RK3LUzA.jpg

This was an issue as the Halo Lux was about 3mm thick so the combined array of RGB add-on and fan would not fit. Solution? I sanded the heck out of the Halos:

CBSuMdE.jpg

Which made them thin enough to fit under the small fan slots.

HWvKMIZ.jpg

tu2uTCi.jpg

This solves the compromise of using Noctua fans but wanting some LED RGB lighting to accent the innards of my build! For the next update, we'll finally start showing how we put this baby together. Took a lot of patience as this was my first sandwich style ITX build. See you all on the next update!

Edited by isHypnophobic
Grammar, Formatting, and Spelling.