Experiences with non-techies

When I was upgrading from an old laptop ( GT 610M graphics) to my current desktop (In sig)

Me: Dad I need to upgrade to a new computer 

Dad: Why?

Me: Cause my old com is starting to lag, and its slow. (getting about 20-30 fps in some games)

Dad: But slower is better right? 

-facepalm

I'm trying to think of a situation where he could be bailed out where "slower is better" is a justifiable response but just...

what_meme.jpg

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm gonna add another one:

I recently helped my girlfriend's mother to work out a computer issue...She has a MacBook Air and is a complete computer noob (sorry). So turns out that either the file system of the SSD is completely f*cked or that the SSD is dying. Well, recovering things off the drive was difficult as some files could not be accessed. So after spending half of my Sunday manually recovering pictures which are important (170GB of them), from an iPhoto library, which makes it even worse since there is no human readable order to it, I wiped the SSD and clean installed OSX. It worked after that...

Why did I have to spend 5 hours doing this shit? Because there were NO BACKUPS... Because she said she didn't "need them"... Well well well...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

This is probably the reason for the stares...

shame_you__re_my_enemy_by_galaxyfriday-d

First, is that wordgirl?! Holy shit!

Second, I came up with a few reasons why she's been staring, one of them, and the most likely in my mind, is that she may think I'm cute...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Then how the hell did he get on the internet?!

Maybe he was looking for a 'book definition' as opposed to not knowing he was using one.

Edit to add :-

When was the word computer first used?

I'll let you be a decade out.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

One time a guy asked me "If you know so much about computers - what is the electrical resistance to a intel processor? I you don't know the answer you don't know anything." I laughed so hard. :DDD 

Kill me pls, somebody

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

First, is that wordgirl?! Holy shit!

Second, I came up with a few reasons why she's been staring, one of them, and the most likely in my mind, is that she may think I'm cute...

My advice is to go up to her and talk to her, be her friend and just see how she acts.  If shes really afraid but thinks your attractive she will act oblivious or hate you and just walk away, unless you've done something to her, this shows she likes you. 

The only thing you have to know about women is that they are more scared of you then you are of them. I am kidding. Anyways, I got a story. We were reading a magazine about crop circles. STAY WITH ME PEOPLE. This guy started bitching at reporters that someone made a crop circle. And then well it had 192 in Braille and a sillicon wafer shape, so i figured it was the Tegra K1. Then they started at the end to basicially hump NVIDIA for making the crop circle. I got really pissed. i turned into Hulk and I burned the school. Im kidding about that too. I just got pissed and everyone was like WTF NVIDIA.

Why hate on Nvidia?  And equally so, why hate on AMD either?  

Agreed. I'm more of an nVidia person, but only due to Shadowplay and the FPS counter, but I still recommend AMD cards a lot due to value for money. It's all preference

So ive been looking through this thread and I found some funny Yahoo Answers Questions. So I went to the website and searched around and found this:

AmjnjoX.png

Hmm, I think he meant programmer.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

I'm gonna add another one:

I recently helped my girlfriend's mother to work out a computer issue...She has a MacBook Air and is a complete computer noob (sorry). So turns out that either the file system of the SSD is completely f*cked or that the SSD is dying. Well, recovering things off the drive was difficult as some files could not be accessed. So after spending half of my Sunday manually recovering pictures which are important (170GB of them), from an iPhoto library, which makes it even worse since there is no human readable order to it, I wiped the SSD and clean installed OSX. It worked after that...

Why did I have to spend 5 hours doing this shit? Because there were NO BACKUPS... Because she said she didn't "need them"... Well well well...

People always hope they don't need backups but the truth of the matter is they are essential. It's like considering hospitals unnecessary because most people hope that they won't need one. That said I'm terrible when it comes to backups and I have a home server... Well most of my really important files are synced between my server and main pc but not all of my valuable/useful files are secure.

So ive been looking through this thread and I found some funny Yahoo Answers Questions. So I went to the website and searched around and found this:

AmjnjoX.png

Nope, he probably meant Ethical Hacker... 

post-153476-0-24909500-1429444657.png

There are Schools and Jobs for Ethical Hacking.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Nope, he probably meant Ethical Hacker... 

attachicon.gifHacker.PNG

There are Schools and Jobs for Ethical Hacking.

I am one, but I just usually check for security vulnerabilities by  universities/small offices here, the pay is pretty decent. I would sometimes get invited to seminars too

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

My advice is to go up to her and talk to her, be her friend and just see how she acts.  If shes really afraid but thinks your attractive she will act oblivious or hate you and just walk away, unless you've done something to her, this shows she likes you. 

Well, everyone in my class started hating on NVIDIA, which they dont know why NVIDIA did it, nor do they know what they even specialize in. And I really dont hate on each other, as without one or the other, they would be lazy as they have no other competetion to make them try harder. Thats why I am no NVIDIA or AMD fanboy.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

So ive been looking through this thread and I found some funny Yahoo Answers Questions. So I went to the website and searched around and found this:

AmjnjoX.png

I think this guy played WAY too much watchdogs. Hacking is all about corrupting your intended target without being caught. The only way you could learn is by someone else is meeting a guy in a back alley and seeing the ~2% that he wont shank you and take your wallet.

I think this guy played WAY too much watchdogs. Hacking is all about corrupting your intended target without being caught. The only way you could learn is by someone else is meeting a guy in a back alley and seeing the ~2% that he wont shank you and take your wallet.

Like I and @RedSphyxis said earlier there are jobs and schools for hacking. Hacking does not always have to mean it's done through illegal means. Though nowadays the term hacking is attributed to illegal hacking by most people. (I'd blame watchdogs and other media for this misconception)   :lol:

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Like I and @RedSphyxis said earlier there are jobs and schools for hacking. Hacking does not always have to mean it's done through illegal means. Though nowadays the term hacking is attributed to illegal hacking by most people. (I'd blame watchdogs and other media for this misconception)   :lol:

I blame CSI, because you can find out ip's with Visual Basic.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I'm trying to think of a situation where he could be bailed out where "slower is better" is a justifiable response but just...

-snipe-

Didn't old games used to rely on CPU clock speed for how fast a car would be driving for example?  I think I heard Linus talking about how when he overclocked his family computer when he was young, a game he played was unplayable because of how fast the car was moving :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Didn't old games used to rely on CPU clock speed for how fast a car would be driving for example?  I think I heard Linus talking about how when he overclocked his family computer when he was young, a game he played was unplayable because of how fast the car was moving :/

Um, I'm not entirely sure but I know that there were things like the NTSC N64 was just an overclocked PAL one, to go from 25fps to 30fps.

Sig under construction.

This is probably the reason for the stares...

shame_you__re_my_enemy_by_galaxyfriday-d

OMG its word girl! I remember loving that show! I forgot the bad guys name tho...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

AmjnjoX.png

"By the way I don't want to be a hacker so I can rob banks and stuff I just want to be a hacker because I love computers and technology and i think it looks cool"

PM0aaRL_700wa_0.gif

^^^ My head right now.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

So ive been looking through this thread and I found some funny Yahoo Answers Questions. So I went to the website and searched around and found this:

AmjnjoX.png

Hacker originally had a neutral/positive connotation. Back when computers were just starting out, it referred to someone who "hacked" their own computer together. So e are all hackers! Yay!

He could also be someone who literally wanted to take a machete/hatchet/axe and hack through stuff...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Hacker originally had a neutral/positive connotation. Back when computers were just starting out, it referred to someone who "hacked" their own computer together. So e are all hackers! Yay!

He could also be someone who literally wanted to take a machete/hatchet/axe and hack through stuff...

Just hoping that he's becoming the White Hat one.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

apparently IT thinks that the old and slow core2duo server is better than the dual xeon server that someone donated to our school (they rejected the xeon and kept the core2duo) (and when i say someone i mean the goverment)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

apparently IT thinks that the old and slow core2duo server is better than the dual xeon server that someone donated to our school (they rejected the xeon and kept the core2duo)

HOW????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

HOW????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IT arrent IT, they are n00bs!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

OMG its word girl! I remember loving that show! I forgot the bad guys name tho...

I remember this, as i have very weird supernatural long term memory, i think that dressed up douchebag is toby and wordgirl has a sidekick named captain huggyface. its a monkey in underwear.