Experiences with non-techies

that kinda sucks man... If I was under that kind of lockdown, I'll spend more time with at a trusted friend's to do my more personal browsing...

that or I'll use a smartphone with passwords and encryption...

eh.. pc experience beats phone.. and close friends IRL are rare really... if you met me IRL and werent a tech person or into alternative music its hard to like me. 

my doctors and therapists say i literally cant scocalize normally with peoplw tihout someone to back me up... but you need to scocolize in order to get people to back you up...

I only got one because it was before I learned how to build PCs. Now I would build one myself, as I suspect that my reference 660 is always throttling under heavy load due to the case....

My member title is a joke, as I know everyone else here would rather build their own, and I'm just sitting here in the corner with this thing...

i was slightly upset with the x51 when they released it.. :/

i mean.. what was their cheapest one agian? like an i5 and a 750/ti??? for a thousand dollars? umno. 

some of thier aruara and older ones were like beast mode awesome though...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Went to a "tech" place where i saw some pc hardware, so since my brother got some money he wants to upgrade to intel. So i asked the guy behind the desk if he had a 4th gen i5, which ones he had, so he goes and brings up an FX 8350 cpu box. Me, trying to hide my "WTF" face, i said i wanted intel, that was amd, i had an intel board so i wanted an intel cpu.

HIS RESPONSE:

"Tis fine men, it will work, trust me"

I said "k bye" and left laughing thinking of the people that might actually buy shit there.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I would like to believe that I am a calm person (when not gaming :D), but this makes me angry. Like the f*ck. 

''because i am your mother i have the right to know everything youre doing''

she's not actually my mom either.... she's my grandmother who adopted me...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Went to a "tech" place where i saw some pc hardware, so since my brother got some money he wants to upgrade to intel. So i asked the guy behind the desk if he had a 4th gen i5, which ones he had, so he goes and brings up an FX 8350 cpu box. Me, trying to hide my "WTF" face, i said i wanted intel, that was amd, i had an intel board so i wanted an intel cpu.

HIS RESPONSE:

"Tis fine men, it will work, trust me"

I said "k bye" and left laughing thinking of the people that might actually buy shit there.

*sigh*

*opens mouth to begin sentance, closes it and goes back to my black metal and pokemon grinding session*

-Jim Hensen

That is some Orwell 1984 sh*t. What did she thinks she will find ? A drug cartel conversations ? I feel for you, that is just borderline stupid behavior.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

That is some Orwell 1984 sh*t. What did she thinks she will find ? A drug cartel conversations ? I feel for you, that is just borderline stupid behavior.

tell me about it.

the other day our pastor came over (my pastor is rad, listens to metallica on the way to church, swears like a sailor with proof in the bible that the words he uses are actaully used by the appostle paul.. x'D he's cool)

my mom interupts mine and my dads conversation with him to rant about how homosexuals are all jsut confused children who are self obsessed and attention whores.

me my dad and my pastor are just sitting there like 

''nice story cupcake'' with the .-. face goin on. 

not to mention she's the kind of paranoid that ALL OF THE INTERNET IS ONLY HACKERPHILES (reference to a status update convo)

-Jim Hensen

Sounds like someone who would enjoy Mac :P

He switches OSes. He's a Linux nerd and only uses Windows for gaming. He's Hackintoshed many times and has owned a Macbook. He's not dumb, just doesn't understand how much power computers actually use (like most people sadly).

Also, I enjoy *OSX* (not Mac as that label is no longer used in their OS names).

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

He switches OSes. He's a Linux nerd and only uses Windows for gaming. He's Hackintoshed many times and has owned a Macbook. He's not dumb, just doesn't understand how much power computers actually use (like most people sadly).

Also, I enjoy *OSX* (not Mac as that label is no longer used in their OS names).

Oh I don't get that then, he sounds like a smart dude. I think I already said that in this topic but I am gonna say it again. I HATE people who have their own truth. No one is smart enough to know everything.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

one time i was helping my homeschooling co-op with setting up a old tv and some old movies for the todlers to watch. 

im sitting there behind the stand with this sexy CRT tv on it, unplugging and re-plugging cables like mad, ''oldlady Mcsaggytits over there plugging the effin vcr into the antenna decoder''

and some toehead (not an insult actually, its a way of describing a young boy or girl with natural platinum blonde hair) walks up to me and goes ''stop making up words to sound smart'' 

so i grab him by the wrist and make him look at the clears labeled input port ''antenna decoder'' and he later tells his mom that i broke the tv so i could sound smart...... 
i mean... *sigh* 

i feel ya breh. 

what also ticks me off is the whole ''dont buy AMD, all thier products are just space heaters that kill your powerbill''

its like.... 

no one uses stock coolers and if they do they know what they're doing/getting into.

its an extra 30th of your power bill per year...... it pays it self off by being half the cost of other brand's offerings...

-Jim Hensen

Oh I don't get that then, he sounds like a smart dude. I think I already said that in this topic but I am gonna say it again. I HATE people who have their own truth. No one is smart enough to know everything.

couldnt agree more.

-Jim Hensen

one time i was helping my homeschooling co-op with setting up a old tv and some old movies for the todlers to watch. 

im sitting there behind the stand with this sexy CRT tv on it, unplugging and re-plugging cables like mad, ''oldlady Mcsaggytits over there plugging the effin vcr into the antenna decoder''

and some toahead (not an insult actually, its a way of describing a young boy or girl with natural platinum blonde hair) walks up to me and goes ''stop making up words to sound smart'' 

so i grab him by the wrist and make him look at the clears labeled input port ''antenna decoder'' and he later tells his mom that i broke the tv so i could sound smart...... 

i mean... *sigh* 

i feel ya breh. 

what also ticks me off is the whole ''dont buy AMD, all thier products are just space heaters that kill your powerbill''

its like.... 

no one uses stock coolers and if they do they know what they're doing/getting into.

its an extra 30th of your power bill per year...... it pays it self off by being half the cost of other brand's offerings...

truuuu

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i was slightly upset with the x51 when they released it.. :/

i mean.. what was their cheapest one agian? like an i5 and a 750/ti??? for a thousand dollars? umno. 

some of thier aruara and older ones were like beast mode awesome though...

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd

I think my PC is a pretty good value for 1000 bucks (1200 without student discount, specs on mah profile). Now I think their value has decreased significantly, I mean 700 bucks for an i3 and 745?!

But compare the 2 highest end options. Unless that's a typo, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PAY AN EXTRA 150 BUCKS TO HAVE 1 TB OF SPACE INSTEAD OF 2?! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

there was this one video where a guy put like 24 or 42 fans on this one AIO cooler, and reported -12 cpu temps (was a troll video)

but in the comments was a guy who swore it was all real.

his arguement was that as air moves at high velocities it naturally gets colder........ and that the sun was not burning chemicals but rather pure energy.

-Jim Hensen

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd

I think my PC is a pretty good value for 1000 bucks (1200 without student discount, specs on mah profile). Now I think their value has decreased significantly, I mean 700 bucks for an i3 and 745?!

But compare the 2 highest end options. Unless that's a typo, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PAY AN EXTRA 150 BUCKS TO HAVE 1 TB OF SPACE INSTEAD OF 2?! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!

agreed. 

-Jim Hensen

A lady called and asked how many CD's it would take to download the internet so she didn't have to pay for it monthly. She would not except the fakt that this is impossible and would not leave me alone until i gave her a ridiculous, arbitrary number.

Travis

there was this one video where a guy put like 24 or 42 fans on this one AIO cooler, and reported -12 cpu temps (was a troll video)

but in the comments was a guy who swore it was all real.

his arguement was that as air moves at high velocities it naturally gets colder........ and that the sun was not burning chemicals but rather pure energy.

Gotcha

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Gotcha

yup.

in the comments is one of the dumbest things ive seen in my life.

someone made the arguement ''so you're saying is i put a fan in my room and closed the door and went in later the whole room would be colder?''

and they came back with 

''no, because the fan itself is producing heat''

-Jim Hensen

A lady called and asked how many CD's it would take to download the internet so she didn't have to pay for it monthly. She would not except the fakt that this is impossible and would not leave me alone until i gave her a ridiculous, arbitrary number.

you're trolling, right?

-Jim Hensen

you're trolling, right?

Is the number of CDs needed to hold the internet Swag?

Gotcha

How did he hold up all those fans?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I can't believe that I tried to do the math but, lets assume the total data on the internet is 100,000 PB then it would take 22,310,127,660 DVD's that has 4.7 GB storage capacity. But that would still be a big if... I wonder how long it would take to download and write all those DVD's  ;)

Edit: Tell her if it costs 1$ for 1 DVD it would cost her $22,310,127,600 if she wants to download the internet. That would make her glad to pay a monthly fee...

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

He had boxes on either side, with threaded bar going through the fan holes

I found that video hilariious

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Thought this would fit in nicely here...

Some people man.

I always just use the " continue where I left off" feature. Love that!

same, it's great

What I would do is I would start using arch linux. by default it doesn't have a desktop and is all command line. if you leave it stock and set your computer to boot in to arch as default (have to hit up/down to change what os it boots in to) it will confuse her. You could even go the whole nine yards and put a desktop on it and not tell your mum how to get to it. If you don't know how to use arch then there is loads of tutorials on the internet.

See those empty fan boxes?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Edit: Tell her if it costs 1$ for 1 DVD it would cost her $22,310,127,600 if she wants to download the internet. That would make her glad to pay a monthly fee...

Then tell her that as the internet is continually changing she would have to do that every couple of days (even if it was just the differences, it would be a huge amount).

"This too shall pass"

in the comments is one of the dumbest things ive seen in my life.

someone made the arguement ''so you're saying is i put a fan in my room and closed the door and went in later the whole room would be colder?''

and they came back with 

''no, because the fan itself is producing heat''

How is that dumb?

Strikes me that the person saying' "so you're..." was trying to demolish the others argument.  And electrical equipment does produce heat when powered on.

"This too shall pass"