Experiences with non-techies

A friend says he built a computer, so I ask him the specs. He starts talking about the intel i9 processor and how he had 128 gb of ram and 4 way sli with 780tis in it (back when those just came out). I contained my laughter and asked him to show me a pic. He pulls a picture of a raspberry pi up on his phone and I just stood there like o____o.

he's trolling, right?

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

My aunt's laptop was infected so she paid a guy $300 to "fix" it by selling her a new harddrive.

*sigh* my parrents were subscibed to iyogi for years.

i tried telling them that all they were doing was remotely formatting the harddrives and re-installing windows. and charging us 400 dollars each time.

they were 100% convinced that they had bill gates on the otherside, re-writing all the ''code'' of thier desktop by hand and using hotmail to edit our files.........

and im jsut sitting there like 

post-122995-0-35567500-1423966254.png

post-122995-0-35567500-1423966254.png

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Yesterday, I had the weirdest conversation with a tech guy at a computer supplies store. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Do you have a DisplayPort Cable?"

Tech Guy: "Yea, we do. What type of DisplayPort cable are you looking to buy?"

Me: "A Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort"

Tech Guy: "Sir there are names for Display Port, like VGA, HDMI, DVI etc."

Me: "err... the name of the connection is called DisplayPort !!!"

Tech Guy: Calls two other tech guys. They come over and tell me "Sir, there is no such thing as a cable called DisplayPort !!!"

Me: "... I look some other place thanks"

No way am I going back to that place. I pity their customers... does anyone have experiences like this?

ive been banned from entering two local best buys because i proved thier employees wrong about displayport and a macbook with an i5 instead of an i7. and how macs can, and do get viruses.

-Jim Hensen

ive been banned from entering two local best buys because i proved thier employees wrong about displayport and a macbook with an i5 instead of an i7. and how macs can, and do get viruses.

To be fair, I have yet to see a Mac with a virus (minus random search engines popping up at times). They're just not as vulnerable as a Windows PC.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I did it not to stop the fan vacuming the floor, but because  I didn't like the look of the 'stats sticker'[1] and prefered the looks of the fan and grill.

tweak_dk_Corsair_RM750_35.JPG

[1]Voids the warranty if removed.

also it acts as yet another exhuast for your airflow setup should you need it. 

fan up master race

-Jim Hensen

To be fair, I have yet to see a Mac with a virus (minus random search engines popping up at times). They're just not as vulnerable as a Windows PC.

my aunt suzi baught her grandson a macbook air or whatever, black version i think. i dont know.

i asked him if i could use it to google a walkthrough guide because we were confused as all hell on this one part in skyward sword in my aunt suzi's basement home theatre. (other than the fact that thier tv isn a crt its my dream home theatre) 

i open the machines lid. i mash space bar a few times to wake it up.

i reach his yosemite or mountian lion or whateverthefuck (i dont know osx names xD ) and all seems fine.

i open safari. 

''DONT TOUCH THAT ONE... its a virus and i have yet to figure out how to remove it''

(clay is actually pretty tech savvy, it was indeed a virus disguised as safari) 

me: *manually removes it and by the grace of god i didnt brick his computer* *finds the REAL safari and puts it back on his ''taskbar'' if thats what osx users call it. *

*we fidn the guide and figure out where to go in skyward sword*

day gets written down as my first experience with osx and viruses. 

-Jim Hensen

they will be just as if not more vunerable soon if people keep thinking they cant get a virus on them. the baseline of OSX will be more and more well known omongst programmers, and yeah.

-Jim Hensen

they will be just as if not more vunerable soon if people keep thinking they cant get a virus on them. the baseline of OSX will be more and more well known omongst programmers, and yeah.

They're less vulnerable because A. Unix based, B. A certain lack of backwards compatiblity (not too bad, just nothing from today can really go backwards past Snow Leopard). and C. Because fewer people use them. Just life I guess.

my aunt suzi baught her grandson a macbook air or whatever, black version i think. i dont know.

i asked him if i could use it to google a walkthrough guide because we were confused as all hell on this one part in skyward sword in my aunt suzi's basement home theatre. (other than the fact that thier tv isn a crt its my dream home theatre) 

i open the machines lid. i mash space bar a few times to wake it up.

i reach his yosemite or mountian lion or whateverthefuck (i dont know osx names xD ) and all seems fine.

i open safari. 

''DONT TOUCH THAT ONE... its a virus and i have yet to figure out how to remove it''

(clay is actually pretty tech savvy, it was indeed a virus disguised as safari) 

me: *manually removes it and by the grace of god i didnt brick his computer* *finds the REAL safari and puts it back on his ''taskbar'' if thats what osx users call it. *

*we fidn the guide and figure out where to go in skyward sword*

day gets written down as my first experience with osx and viruses. 

Also, Safari is crap regardless so lel xD

Only Blackbook that I know of is the 2008-ish Core 2 Duo one. Wish that Apple would make newer ones. I love black Macbooks.

OSX's naming scheme has been cats for the last few years until Yosemite. From then on it's all mountains. You can find this info in the top left corner in the system info thingy there. 

And the "taskbar" (launcher) is called the Dock in OSX. 

Also, fuck Safari and the stupid knockoffs of it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have a friend that googles every website in order to get to it instead of typing in url. He'll type google.com into the address bar then google youtube.com instead of just typing in youtube.com

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

You just described me...

he just described half of LTT.

People think that I am just a normal nerd. Techies aren't nerds, they are very missunderstood group of people. People ask me why I got this badass midtower on my desk. I say, because its powerful. All they do is they say, get a Dell MicroPC. Most people like us are misstreated for no reason. People think just because I want to have a career in the future, that means I will be stuck in a financial hole. I wish those people would go away and go home because I am not going anywhere. We most likely will be rich, as we have more job oppritunities. They do not understand that we are people, not punching bags to be bitched, thrown, torn, used, abused, misstreated, and peed on. As one day we will do the same to them because we will conquer.

this goes for techies, programmers, people who like alternative forms of cultre, and are just simply different.

people try to force you to be the same as them, because if everyone is the same then everyone has equal job opportunities, ive seen so many people give up on thier artistic skills to the point that they no longer are tallented in those areas. 

if everyone would just fuck off and let people be themselves. trainthemselves to be good at what they're good at. instead of trying to make everyone a jack of all trades.

i would prefer this world to have everyone horrible at many things but kick ass at one thing than everyone be -okay- at everything. 

-Jim Hensen

I have a friend that googles every website in order to get to it instead of typing in url. He'll type google.com into the address bar then google youtube.com instead of just typing in youtube.com

instead of just typing in youtube.com why not have it in a bookmarks folder? 

i have three folders, not including unsorted. ''forums and communities'' ''media'' and ''reference sheets and tutoriols'' my chrome is set to open google twitch LTT and PCPP at start....

it just makes life easier.

-Jim Hensen

instead of just typing in youtube.com why not have it in a bookmarks folder? 

i have three folders, not including unsorted. ''forums and communities'' ''media'' and ''reference sheets and tutoriols'' my chrome is set to open google twitch LTT and PCPP at start....

it just makes life easier.

I always just use the " continue where I left off" feature. Love that!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

he just described half of LTT.

this goes for techies, programmers, people who like alternative forms of cultre, and are just simply different.

people try to force you to be the same as them, because if everyone is the same then everyone has equal job opportunities, ive seen so many people give up on thier artistic skills to the point that they no longer are tallented in those areas. 

if everyone would just fuck off and let people be themselves. trainthemselves to be good at what they're good at. instead of trying to make everyone a jack of all trades.

i would prefer this world to have everyone horrible at many things but kick ass at one thing than everyone be -okay- at everything. 

i also hate it when people see grown adults playing video games and say to them and thier loved ones ''erent you concerned, they need to get a job to survive out there you know!''

i have a fucking job. 

would you like me to look at you watching the biggest loser while you eat a 8 peice bucket from KFC and scold you for wasting all your time watching TV, because, YOU NEED A JOB YOU KNOW.

im just in an exceptionally bad mood today.... i swear if i saw a puppy comically piss on someone i wouldnt laugh like i usually would....

-Jim Hensen

I always just use the " continue where I left off" feature. Love that!

i dont......

im a member at all kinds of other forums... :lenny_face: 

my mom opening up my computer in the middle of the night without my permission or knowledge of (this happens alot) and seeing all my personal conversations and stuff..... *sigh*

i swear i could live without her... crontroller over judgmental and conservative *****....... 

again... bad mood today......

-Jim Hensen

This guy I know told me he hated his old system because his stock FX-8350 and dual Firepros just wouldn't run under the 1500W PSU he had. I told him BS cuz 1500 watts was most definitely plenty.

He told me "OH so you think you know more about MY computer than I do? Even though I ran the benchmarks on it?" 

Me: "Yeah, and what did you use for the wattage readout?"

Him: "The BIOS tells you."

ME *shaking head* "Umm... no it does not. And even if it could, it would not tell you it were using anywhere near 1500 watts. Your PC is at idle when sitting in the BIOS."

People need to learn - the wattage listed on your power supply has no correspondence with how much power your PC is actually using.

And in case you're wondering, in his case, his 8350 and dual Firepros (if he were using the super power-hungry W9100's) would use 725 watts (under max load).

Wait, then why does he hate his AMD rig if all that PSU usage stuff is all bullshit?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

i dont......

im a member at all kinds of other forums... :lenny_face: 

my mom opening up my computer in the middle of the night without my permission or knowledge of (this happens alot) and seeing all my personal conversations and stuff..... *sigh*

i swear i could live without her... crontroller over judgmental and conservative *****....... 

again... bad mood today......

This is why I put my PC on lockdown when I'm not around or when I'm asleep... heck, I'd block accesss to parts of my drive if I was motivated enough...

I know you're a nintendo fan and that's pretty awesome, so you deserve this:

post-85188-0-57440200-1423970432.jpg

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Wait, then why does he hate his AMD rig if all that PSU usage stuff is all bullshit?

Cuz he refuses to believe I'm right. He literally hates it because he believes that it wasn't enough to power it with a 1500 watt power supply. 

I know you're a nintendo fan and that's pretty awesome, so you deserve this:

attachicon.gifNintendo Trophies.jpg

thankyou so much. :3

This is why I put my PC on lockdown when I'm not around or when I'm asleep... heck, I'd block accesss to parts of my drive if I was motivated enough...

well, because my mom has this stupid idea in her head that ''its her pc that she's letting me use for school'' (when im the one who's paid over 2000 dollars in repairing it and i paid the upfrotn cost of it when we got it) 

she had my second girlfriends older brother come in and act like he was super techy and ''manually disable my internet card drivers to the point where it would require re-building the entire machine in order to get internet access again''  when infact all he did was put my pc in airplane mode (my laptop has a button for it too.. >.> ) and apply parantal controls up the wazzoo. which my mom created the password for later. (and i need to leave the password because she demands to be able to login at any time and ''have access to an overview of my activities'' 

the password was about as hard to figure out as it was to pour a bowl of cerial... 

''LoveGod'' 

yeah. 

-Jim Hensen

Cuz he refuses to believe I'm right. He literally hates it because he believes that it wasn't enough to power it with a 1500 watt power supply. 

But if his rig boots, then the PSU works and he should realize he's wrong and that he's quite derp like:

post-85188-0-33130200-1423970904.jpg

If it doesn't, I'm sure it's something else fucking up his system

But if his rig boots, then the PSU works and he should realize he's wrong and that he's quite derp like:

attachicon.gifSUPER DERP.jpg

If it doesn't, I'm sure it's something else fucking up his system

your member title...

i know a few who are also alien ware users... and quite a lot more that actually like the company. (myself included) 

i would have gotten an alien ware system if it were not for me being dirt poor, wanting to just build myself and not liking thier case choiced. :3

-Jim Hensen

thankyou so much. :3

well, because my mom has this stupid idea in her head that ''its her pc that she's letting me use for school'' (when im the one who's paid over 2000 dollars in repairing it and i paid the upfrotn cost of it when we got it) 

she had my second girlfriends older brother come in and act like he was super techy and ''manually disable my internet card drivers to the point where it would require re-building the entire machine in order to get internet access again''  when infact all he did was put my pc in airplane mode (my laptop has a button for it too.. >.> ) and apply parantal controls up the wazzoo. which my mom created the password for later. (and i need to leave the password because she demands to be able to login at any time and ''have access to an overview of my activities'' 

the password was about as hard to figure out as it was to pour a bowl of cerial... 

''LoveGod'' 

yeah. 

that kinda sucks man... If I was under that kind of lockdown, I'll spend more time with at a trusted friend's to do my more personal browsing...

that or I'll use a smartphone with passwords and encryption...

your member title...

i know a few who are also alien ware users... and quite a lot more that actually like the company. (myself included) 

i would have gotten an alien ware system if it were not for me being dirt poor, wanting to just build myself and not liking thier case choiced. :3

I only got one because it was before I learned how to build PCs. Now I would build one myself, as I suspect that my reference 660 is always throttling under heavy load due to the case....

My member title is a joke, as I know everyone else here would rather build their own, and I'm just sitting here in the corner with this thing...

Sounds like someone who would enjoy Mac :P

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

''have access to an overview of my activities'' 

I would like to believe that I am a calm person (when not gaming :D), but this makes me angry. Like the f*ck. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler