Experiences with non-techies

At one point when my family went out to eat I looked at my grandfather's shirt pocket and saw something peculiar.

Me- What's that?

GP- (pulls out two sticks) RAM, gonna put it into our desktop at home

Me- Oh, cool how much do you have now?

GP- I think we have 1 Gigabyte

Me- Oh geeze that's really low for nowadays

GP- Yep. That's why were getting an upgrade

Me- Awesome, so how much are you getting it up to?

GP- 2 Gigabytes

Me- .....

Went over to their house and used their computer one time. It's running a single core cpu and Windows XP. Trying to navigate through the web browser was so painful.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

At one point when my family went out to eat I looked at my grandfather's shirt pocket and saw something peculiar.

Me- What's that?

GP- 2 Gigabytes

Me- .....

Went over to their house and used their computer one time. It's running a single core cpu and Windows XP. Trying to navigate through the web browser was so painful.

LIKE 1 MORE GIG OF RAM IS GOING TO HELP!!

post-85188-0-78673400-1417411694.jpgpost-85188-0-78673400-1417411694.jpg

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My system idles at 2 gigabytes easily. Good for him for wanting to upgrade the RAM, but it would really be best to just buy an entire new computer at that stage.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I once had a friend tell me that 20c was way to hot for a CPU to ever reach.

No. Just no. He'll be surprised at how hot laptop CPUs run. "THESE MANUFACTURERS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING!"

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Friend tells me my computer is "crap" because it has

16gb of ram (he says more is better)

i have a 2nd gen i7 (this is true but its unlocked and overclocked)

My memory speed is 1333MHz (i dont think having higher speed ram would help, could be wrong)

Oh and he dislikes my videocards because i got a reference and a non reference

I dont want to be rude to him but seriously?

Reference GTX cards look great, but even better when you paint the shroud black, and make the logo white. *drools*

My system idles at 2 gigabytes easily. Good for him for wanting to upgrade the RAM, but it would really be best to just buy an entire new computer at that stage.

Mine used about 3GB idling... With everything open I use daily, from 4.5-7.8GB is used.. That's not even with a game running. Someone should totally buy me more ram. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpgattachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg

I'd be willing to bet it would. That's a 100% increase in capacity. Plus we still have a P4 system with 2GB RAM and it was well worth it to upgrade from the 1GB it had.

Reference GTX cards look great, but even better when you paint the shroud black, and make the logo white. *drools*

Mine used about 3GB idling... With everything open I use daily, from 4.5-7.8GB is used.. That's not even with a game running. Someone should totally buy me more ram. :P

It's only using it because you have plenty of spare RAM. I really don't understand the whole "I need to make sure that my RAM usage is always under 10% unless I'm gaming or using Photoshop" thing. If you've got it, flaunt use it, right? ;)

I'm using 5-5.5GB with chrome, Skype and Steam open. That said I've got about 50 tabs open.

My history teacher has students volunteer to run the powerpoint from the back of the room while he presents in front (clearly he has never heard of a remote). The student today didn't use fullscreen, opting to click on the slides on the sidebar to advance and go back. This was the same student who's laptop had tons of viruses using Norton as antivirus that I mentioned about two weeks ago.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I'm using 5-5.5GB with chrome, Skype and Steam open. That said I've got about 50 tabs open.

I use about 2GB with 2 firefox tabs (one of them is a video) Skype, Steam and several Explorer windows.

On topic: my dad thinks I shouldn't use his microUSB cable for my phone because his delivers more amps.....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Friend tells me my computer is "crap" because it has

16gb of ram (he says more is better)

i have a 2nd gen i7 (this is true but its unlocked and overclocked)

My memory speed is 1333MHz (i dont think having higher speed ram would help, could be wrong)

Oh and he dislikes my videocards because i got a reference and a non reference

I dont want to be rude to him but seriously?

You should bring him into the fold and start showing him LTT videos. The How Much RAM video and RAM speeds video should do it. Benchmarks are a powerful thing!

Me- What's that?

GP- 2 Gigabytes

Me- .....

Maybe that is all he could find or afford. That your grandpa is touching his computer is great. My grandma doesn't know how to operate one.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

My sister is annoyed because her laptop is installing 8.1, without asking her about it. Valid complaint, I'll admit. She's also annoyed because it may crash and she hasn't backed up her files and that's somehow my/windows' fault...

Not to be mean, but your sister needs to learn how to read before she clicks on things. Windows 8 will not upgrade to 8.1 without prompt. In fact it dims the screen and pops up a dialog prompt much like the UAC prompts that says something to the tune of 'Windows 8.1 is now available, would you like to update?'.

You guys ever heard of google ultron? Thats the browser that NASA uses ;)http://ultronbrowser.info/

A well I have an ok story: Fixed a computer for friends that had XP on it and was badly messed up by viruses etc. Because I did not have a install CD with me I just installed Ubuntu Linux because they only use browser and thunderbird anyways. So I told them to just try it out and if they have any trouble with it I would stop by and install XP. They only phoned me once since because a window on thunderbird disappeared. Even I was surprised!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

People who leave their Social Security numbers for every member of their family on a .txt on the desktop and not leave the computer password protected, and without anti-virus. Then 9 year old kids try ''downloading'' video cards so they can play Minecraft better.

Also, people with half a page worth of toolbars.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

People who leave their Social Security numbers for every member of their family on a .txt on the desktop and not leave the computer password protected, and without anti-virus. Then 9 year old kids try ''downloading'' video cards so they can play Minecraft better.

Also, people with half a page worth of toolbars.

Brb. I'm gonna go download a 295X2.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Don't forget to download a bigger power supply as well.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

Don't forget to download a bigger power supply as well.

I almost forgot.

Brb, going to download two Titan Z's, 5960x, custom watercooling loop, bigger PSU, more RAM, and plenty of other goodies.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Brb, going to download two Titan Z's, 5960x, custom watercooling loop, bigger PSU, more RAM, and plenty of other goodies.

WAIT!!!! Uninstall your Anti-Virus first. It slows down your computer.

Damn you.

WAIT!!!! Uninstall your Anti-Virus first. It slows down your computer.

Yeah, I don't use any, you can't get viruses by clicking sketchy ads and going on unknown sites.

Damn you.

Haha. It'll take days on my 3Mb/s down connection though. The 8 core CPUs really suck up the bandwidth.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Damn you.

You can still catch up. Time to take things to an extreme...time to download a 4k monitor...

Yeah, I don't use any, you can't get viruses by clicking sketchy ads and going on unknown sites.

Haha. It'll take days on my 3Mb/s down connection though. The 8 core CPUs really suck up the bandwidth.

Download better internet speeds. Duhhhhh.

I get 5Mb/s down. I have the upper hand.