Experiences with non-techies

You can still catch up. Time to take things to an extreme...time to download a 4k monitor...

Oh shit, good thing Titans are meant for gaming right?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Don't forget to download a bigger power supply as well.

Actually you might get bottlenecked by the CPU so download an i7-5960X and a X99 mobo with it and 16 gigs of DDR4 ram too!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Actually you might get bottlenecked by the CPU so download an i7-5960X and a X99 mobo with it and 16 gigs of DDR4 ram too!

better make it 64, 16 gigs aint gonna cut it for gaming...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I've worked in the tech field for a number of years now. The thing gets me the most are the people that don't know the difference between "log off" and "reboot". At my old job I would tell people to log off their computers so I could make some changes or take a look at an issue, they would just reboot it and I would be stuck there waiting for their Athlon 64 PCs running Windows XP to boot back up before I could complete any work. This happened probably once a week on average. So infuriating. 

My cousin wants a good gaming computer since he wants to switch from consoles. I offered to build one for him since he has the budget for it. But for some reason he sort of refused, and I don't know why. But he has been sending me these cyberpower prebuilts for the past 2 weeks now and asking if they're good or not. There was even one that had an i3 and an igpu that went for $550! It's here: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/CYBERPOWERPC-Gamer-Xtreme-GXi200OS-w-Intel-Haswell-Core-i3-4330-3.5GHz-Gaming-Computer/9143796/product.html

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

^ This. TeamViewer is quite helpful.

I know right.  I build computers for people sometimes and I always install TeamViewer before I give it to them so that if they call me and don't know how to do something I can just say open TeamViewer.  One guy I was talking to didn't know how to minimize his Window.  So i had to help him.  

My cousin wants a good gaming computer since he wants to switch from consoles. I offered to build one for him since he has the budget for it. But for some reason he sort of refused, and I don't know why. But he has been sending me these cyberpower prebuilts for the past 2 weeks now and asking if they're good or not. There was even one that had an i3 and an igpu that went for $550! It's here: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/CYBERPOWERPC-Gamer-Xtreme-GXi200OS-w-Intel-Haswell-Core-i3-4330-3.5GHz-Gaming-Computer/9143796/product.html

First, that computer is god awful, planned a build for 500 with a G3258 and a r7 260X that will blow that thing out of the water

Second, would you buy PCs from a site called overstock.com? I've only heard of the site because of a few ads and they own part of the Oakland football field. I know them for selling clothes and crap for the house!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My dad double clicks everything. types in all caps ALL the time. Only replies "k" to text messages even when not appropriate, and refuses to buy a smartphone, although even with his glasses, he can't read his .5 inch screen on his flip phone. He literally bought several of them and has them stored away in his closet. Idk why he complains about smartphones. He did the same thing with xbox until he played it, and he uses an ipad.

I've got 2 stories for you

1. A Friend of mine told me, that he got a new next-gen console. I asked which one, he repkied the xbox one. Naturally i asked why, he said because he liked the controller more. I then asked why not a pc, he told me the exact same thing.

2. I talked with another friend about my new rig (specs in sig). He said his rig was way to weak to run games, and that he's planning to buy a console. I asked about his rig and told him, that a new graphics card for the same price than a console would benefit him more: he has already a decent processor and the case is big enough and it all fits together, i even offered to install it becaise he wouldn't know what he was doing.

2 days later he told me about how cool his new xbox one was he just bought.

I know it's similar to most storries in here, but i had to share it, the secound one just happened:)

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

You guys ever heard of google ultron? Thats the browser that NASA uses ;)http://ultronbrowser.info/

A well I have an ok story: Fixed a computer for friends that had XP on it and was badly messed up by viruses etc. Because I did not have a install CD with me I just installed Ubuntu Linux because they only use browser and thunderbird anyways. So I told them to just try it out and if they have any trouble with it I would stop by and install XP. They only phoned me once since because a window on thunderbird disappeared. Even I was surprised!

Ha, I thought you were serious then I clicked and saw what a gag that thing is. Didn't Microsoft want to name their revamp of IE as Ultron or something? I coulda sworn Luke on the WAN Show mentioned it a while back.

Lulzy cuz I think Google just took a shot at Microsoft.

"Our lawyers approve awesome names, nya nya na na na."

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Ha, I thought you were serious then I clicked and saw what a gag that thing is. Didn't Microsoft want to name their revamp of IE as Ultron or something? I coulda sworn Luke on the WAN Show mentioned it a while back.

I think I remember Luke talking about the Ultron browser. He probably meant it as a joke. Its a pretty old meme ;)

Does anyone else remember where they mentioned it? Maybe which show?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I know right.  I build computers for people sometimes and I always install TeamViewer before I give it to them so that if they call me and don't know how to do something I can just say open TeamViewer.  One guy I was talking to didn't know how to minimize his Window.  So i had to help him.  

I did it for my grandma.. Old people attract malware, viruses, and adware like no tomorrow.. She had a virus refusing me to install Adblock, and AVG.. Thank god Malwarebytes worked.

Me: The iPad Air's camera always has a lot of noise unless it's really bright, I don't like it.

Non-techie: So turn the noise off!

Me: *facedesk*

Non-techie: Is that an iPhone 6+?

Me: No goddammit its an HTC One... Can you read?

Non-techie: Geez, it just looks so much like an iPhone. Your phone must be copying Apple's design THEY made.

Me: *Walks away*

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Because all of Apple's creations are original.

Apple never steals ideas, Steve Jobs was not a patent whore and that's not how Apple became Apple today. :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

I did it for my grandma.. Old people attract malware, viruses, and adware like no tomorrow.. She had a virus refusing me to install Adblock, and AVG.. Thank god Malwarebytes worked.

Non-techie: Is that an iPhone 6+?

Me: No goddammit its an HTC One... Can you read?

Non-techie: Geez, it just looks so much like an iPhone. Your phone must be copying Apple's design THEY made.

Me: *Walks away*

the funny thing is, the One came out WAY before the iPhone 6/6+ anyway xD

Edit: THREE MORE POSTS UNTIL 500!!!! :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

the funny thing is, the One came out WAY before the iPhone 6/6+ anyway xD

I know.. They ALWAYS say HTC copied Apple with the white bands, metal, and curved edges...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Few years ago, there was this thick as guy in my class. My friend found this knob thing from some old draws that were sitting outside the classroom (it was just a round plastic thing with a steel bolt).

We told this thick guy that this object had Halo Reach on it (months before it was released). My friend said that he knew some Bungie developers and they gave him this object with the game on it.

I told him it had a spinning disk  inside it. We told him to place it in the hole in the disk tray of his X360 and then he could play Halo Reach.

Next day he tells us it got stuck and it broke his xbox and he sent it to microsoft (with the object still lodged in the disk tray).

I have felt a bit bad but it was so obviously BS that it almost serves this guy right for being dumb.

That makes me want to cry

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

First, that computer is god awful, planned a build for 500 with a G3258 and a r7 260X that will blow that thing out of the water

Second, would you buy PCs from a site called overstock.com? I've only heard of the site because of a few ads and they own part of the Oakland football field. I know them for selling clothes and crap for the house!

I knew the build was awful. I was just trying to say how bad that build goes for the price.

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech. Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them. I'll go first: So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago. My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

first of all wow that is funny :P second of all my experience includes one day I was sitting next to my nece we both had our laptops and so I was like why don't you play Minecraft she was like I don't think my computer can handle it. :blink: (- that was my face (sorry for the bad arrow)

Hi friend.Who are you?

first of all wow that is funny :P second of all my experience includes one day I was sitting next to my nece we both had our laptops and so I was like why don't you play Minecraft she was like I don't think my computer can handle it. :blink: (- that was my face (sorry for the bad arrow)

dude, the quote is almost 2 years old. Don't quote it for the love of god.

dude, the quote is almost 2 years old. Don't quote it for the love of god.

For Chrissakes it is the first post.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Hot damn @WinNut you are in almost every single notification I get from this thread.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

:blink: (- that was my face (sorry for the bad arrow)

Arrows (and much besides) are in the character map (assuming you are running some flavour of windows).

C_map.jpg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"