Experiences with non-techies

This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know a good remedy for chronic procrastination on the LTT forums?

Uhhhh the only way I know of it to get your provider(s) to cancel all of your internet plans  and not go anywhere with an internet connection.

This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know a good remedy for chronic procrastination on the LTT forums?

I sometimes wish there was xD but unfortunately, short of destroying every bit of technology that you own and ensuring that you can't afford any replacements, you can't get unaddicted to LTT. I wish you luck though :P

When I was younger I would always get blamed when something went wrong with the computer, saying my games broke it. I'm pretty sure If a game is being released to thousands of people, it will be stable and not cause the BSOD for no reason.

My mom still does that and she thinks Im not knowledgeable in computers even though I've built around 9 PC's and I can code Java, C, Python and perl. Parents never understand. >.>

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Person: My laptop is too slow!! Could you make it faster

Me: Sure. *Uninstalls all malware and antivirus*

Person: Holy crap its so much faster!

Same exact thing, word for word, happened to me  :P

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Today I discovered someone had stolen an MSI Geforce 770 from one of the gaming rigs at our college. I was working on a system that would be pretty much my lab test computer to test games/benchmarks with. It had this GPU. It was sexy, Fx 9370, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB WD black... sexy. One day I walked in and discovered someone had taken it out and dropped in a 550ti. I alerted the professor and told him it wasn't there. He said maybe it'd turn up or it was in a box. 2 weeks went by and today while searching through parts we discovered it actually was /missing/. Like we couldn't find it anywhere. There was an R9 270x that was torn out of another test PC so I threw that in there for the time being, but now there's another PC sitting around with no GPU. 

Instructor looked up the old parts list from the students who built the systems last year, and found the GPU model and it was confirmed that we had it, and it was that model that is now missing.

Nobody in my hour took it, as there's only like 5 people who go in that room and game with me. And they all have jesus-tier rigs and have no reason to steal one. Including me. (Mine's semi-jesus tier.) 

So, someone came in the class, snuck the GPU out in their backpack, and walked out most likely. 

This is the biggest idiot I've seen in my life, because he's stealing off of private property (the university) and here in the US that counts as a felony. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Today I discovered someone had stolen an MSI Geforce 770 from one of the gaming rigs at our college. I was working on a system that would be pretty much my lab test computer to test games/benchmarks with. It had this GPU. It was sexy, Fx 9370, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB WD black... sexy. One day I walked in and discovered someone had taken it out and dropped in a 550ti. I alerted the professor and told him it wasn't there. He said maybe it'd turn up or it was in a box. 2 weeks went by and today while searching through parts we discovered it actually was /missing/. Like we couldn't find it anywhere. There was an R9 270x that was torn out of another test PC so I threw that in there for the time being, but now there's another PC sitting around with no GPU. 

Instructor looked up the old parts list from the students who built the systems last year, and found the GPU model and it was confirmed that we had it, and it was that model that is now missing.

Nobody in my hour took it, as there's only like 5 people who go in that room and game with me. And they all have jesus-tier rigs and have no reason to steal one. Including me. (Mine's semi-jesus tier.) 

So, someone came in the class, snuck the GPU out in their backpack, and walked out most likely. 

This is the biggest idiot I've seen in my life, because he's stealing off of private property (the university) and here in the US that counts as a felony. 

File a report with the cops and have an investigation going... if there's a CCTV in there, you'd narrow it down to the people who opened up something...

File a report with the cops and have an investigation going... if there's a CCTV in there, you'd narrow it down to the people who opened up something...

Lucky this is technically a high school course. And the worst that could happen is a fine and a drop of the class. 

We take this as a high school elective and take a bus to this university.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Lucky this is technically a high school course. And the worst that could happen is a fine and a drop of the class. 

We take this as a high school elective and take a bus to this university.

We've had our own share of that in our university... Granted that the parts that got stolen were usually peripherals (excludes monitor) or legacy parts from the P3 era... The admin stopped caring when the last competent IT staff left...

We've had our own share of that in our university... Granted that the parts that got stolen were usually peripherals (excludes monitor) or legacy parts from the P3 era... The admin stopped caring when the last competent IT staff left...

Here the staff cares and he's fairly up to date on hardware. He knows what he's doing. And he knows when a GPU is $369.99 on newegg and has possibly been stolen, it had better turn up. He's probably going to give the other class periods hell and I hope he does. 

That thing is like a baby to me. I've loved it since the first day I used it. I'm happy with an R9 270X OC Windforce in there, but it'd be nice to have what it was originally supposed to have in there once again so we don't have a rig sitting around with no GPU and $370 doesn't walk out the door.

No, I'm not joking dude. I had too many of those calls, you only need to relax. Ignorant is not the same as uneducated.

Ignorant means to lack knowledge. So yes it is.

Not to be rude mate, but I used to work as a supervisor at AT&T Connectech service and that call is 0 score, if the user doesn't have the experience or knowledge you have to educate the user. Sometimes might take time to explain this stuff, but try to do it in the lamest terms and you should be ok. If you still working in that place you should consider changing your job.

Lol you're joking right. Keep your comments inside that simple mind of yours. Of course I explained what it looked like. What the cable looked like. Where it could be found. The lady just ignorant.

No, I'm not joking dude. I had too many of those calls, you only need to relax. Ignorant is not the same as uneducated.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen (or Ladies). When the customer is so fucking ignorant/uneducated/retarded SO MUCH that they cannot even tell apart colors or shapes, tell them to do this:

Step 1: Unplug all cables.

Step 2: Find a window or garbage can and then open it.

Step 3:THROW IT THE FUCK OUT AND TELL THEM TO HAVE A NICE GODDAMN DAY!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Gentlemen, Gentlemen (or Ladies). When the customer is so fucking ignorant/uneducated/retarded SO MUCH that they cannot even tell apart colors or shapes, tell them to do this:

Step 1: Unplug all cables.

Step 2: Find a window or garbage can and then open it.

Step 3:THROW IT THE FUCK OUT AND TELL THEM TO HAVE A NICE GODDAMN DAY!!

I love it!

(Tomska reference).

For me, the 2 worst things are diagnostics with a non tech person with me, and someone who try's to fix it claiming they know how, but actually don't.

My English teacher uses a Mac and a projector in class. When she plugs it into the projector, the resolution goes down to about 480p, so her windows are way to big to use and she can't show us anything. She says "ever since they updated my computer, the windows have been too big, why can't there be a button to size them down?" (Strike number one) so everyone turns to me and singles me out to help. NOTE: my English teacher is one of the nicest people ever, but she still scares the crap out of me. So I go up to help her, I say "your computer and the projector are capable of a higher resolution (she nods hear head) but the projector dumbs down the resolution for initial connection to ensure comparability (she nods her head) so I just have to change the resolution on your computer to fix this" she says okay and to do whatever I need to, I am pleased by this statement because it gives me full rights to do what is necessary. I hover the mouse over the apple on the screen and go down to preferences... She freaks out and screams "NOOOO you are going to mess something up! I know it! I'll just deal with it"

DIAGNOSTICS STORY

So my teacher can't seem to get the right source to show up on her projector, so I offer to help as I always do with tech problems. I mess around with the settings and check some wires around the setup. Then I found out that I just had to go into the preferences of Hecht computer and mess with the display options to fix it. She asks me "why didn't you do that in the first place?" I answer "we may know a lot about technology, but we like to do things the easy way sometimes. I'd rather try out some easy fixes first." This evolves into a long argument stalling class the whole period.

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

My Dad, thinking that the Wi-Fi Signal Icon in the Taskbar was an Indicator of how fast our Internet is.

I hate it when people think that.. It's just signal strength to your router. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I feel like I posted this on another thread but:

I walked into a computer shop (mom-and-pop shop) not too long ago. I asked if they had any AM3+ motherboards. The lady at the counter looked at me like this.

d6f.jpg

After I had explained to her that it's a motherboard used to house AMD CPU's she told me "Oh we don't sell products from small companies like AMD...."

Small Companies like AMD...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Small Companies like AMD...

Well AMD is (relatively) small compared to Intel.                ;)

Income last year AMD $167million (a metric butt ton but)

Intel $ 5Billion

Seriously it's attitudes/quotes like that that are causing (in part) the demise of brick and mortar stores of tech .  People would rather shop online after asking about XYZ in places like this.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Well AMD is (relatively) small compared to Intel.                ;)

Income last year AMD $167million (a metric butt ton but)

Intel $ 5Billion

Seriously it's attitudes/quotes like that that are causing (in part) the demise of brick and mortar stores of tech .  People would rather shop online after asking about XYZ in places like this.

I do the opposite thanks to the corruption in import customs here... Why dafuq do I need to pay an extra 20USD on top of the 30% tax and the import fee and the processing fee???

Here is my dad's logic:

Even though I have proven to him many times that I am knowledgeable when it comes to computers to this day he still thinks he knows more about them than me. Well, that doesn't make any sense when he has clicked on one of those "OMG! FLASH IS OUTDATED! UPDATE NOW!" more than once this year... And he simply does not understand what latency means, nor why a 40000000000000Hz TV is no better than one that doesn't even specify that kind if metric...

YAY LOGIC!!! 

i'm a potato

Here is my dad's logic:

Even though I have proven to him many times that I am knowledgeable when it comes to computers to this day he still thinks he knows more about them than me. Well, that doesn't make any sense when he has clicked on one of those "OMG! FLASH IS OUTDATED! UPDATE NOW!" more than once this year... And he simply does not understand what latency means, nor why a 40000000000000Hz TV is no better than one that doesn't even specify that kind if metric...

YAY LOGIC!!! 

AHHHH MY DAD DOES THE SAME FUCKING THING.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I just barely stopped my dad from buying a USB flash drive for my stepmom's Galaxy Tab 3...

Like, USB from a PC, not micro-USB or anything like that....

Helped him along and we got a micro-SD card :P

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I just barely stopped my dad from buying a USB flash drive for my stepmom's Galaxy Tab 3...

Like, USB from a PC, not micro-USB or anything like that....

Helped him along and we got a micro-SD card :P

Why not let him get it plus an OTG adapter?

Why not let him get it plus an OTG adapter?

That would look lovely sticking out of a tablet all the time :P