Experiences with non-techies

My computer programming lecturer using an old laptop with XP. We're using Fortran here for programming, so he told us that an i7 is twice as fast as an i5 in terms of compiling and running a program..........It will, when you have a bajilion lines to do. And a GPU.....which somehow helps fortran run faster. somehow. I don't really know, though I doubt it

There was a kid I talked to yesterday who said that you cannot see more than 32 fps. He also said that 60hz = 30 fps.

Explain to him that 1Hz is, quoted from wikipedia, "It is defined as one cycle per second." and that FPS, stands for Frames Per Second, if that doesn't work, link him to Wikipedia, and he'll have to believe then 

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Explain to him that 1Hz is, quoted from wikipedia, "It is defined as one cycle per second." and that FPS, stands for Frames Per Second, if that doesn't work, link him to Wikipedia, and he'll have to believe then

I tried....

I hate when people have the simplest problem and they can't literally type it in to google because the answers is right their and takes 5 minutes to fix usually. My aunt didn't know how to get her external monitor to work so she had me drive 35 minutes to just click resolution<detect lol 

ever hear of remote desktop?

Yes, and she couldn't set it up on her end -_-

Next time, just install it for her. I put TeamViewer on my grandmas computer.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

@TheSLSAMG told us that he bought a $1.40 webcam, when he opened up the driver installer it said "PC CMAERA"

Can confirm.

fa6d1bde1a.jpg

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Can confirm.

-snip-

That installer does not look sketchy at all. Not like someone will be watching you and others will see your house and plan to rob you.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I love how it says "Web PC Camera" in the program title.

loving dat SLS

That installer does not look sketchy at all. Not like someone will be watching you and others will see your house and plan to rob you.

It's ok, I burned it now. Back to Saatn from whence you came heathen! /s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52GLpo4UD5DQWpkdjVCV3gwdFU&authuser=0

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Update: The morons at the university are getting worse. Right as my friend's rig got working, 3 monitors, core i7 4770, 8GB RAM and dual GPUs, another class period came in and literally broke all the pins on the SSD, attempted to install windows on the mechanical drive once more WHILE THE MACHINE WAS STILL RUNNING, drank a bunch of energy drinks near it (thank god none of it spilled as they had no lids) and just ruined the entire machine. 

The fx 9370 machine I was working on? Yeah, that has my personal key. Someone was stealing keys a little while ago and I swear to god if anyone takes that key I'm going ball-fucking-listic. 

Professor has to teach these fucking rugrats that if something works to NOT FIX IT. 

In fact, we had a little piece of paper on that machine! It said to not touch it!

And they did.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

-snip-

I understand what you were trying to do, whoever you were. However, industrial strength zip ties are not the way to accomplish that. Oh the joys

Lol.. They don't need to be screwed in, as long as they don't have any strain on them and it doesn't look like it has any in that photo.. I don't screw mine into my GPU since it's a pain to get it out.

Spoiler

Spoiler

-snip-

And this is why you put a boot password on the BIOS level, and a good padlock on the case itself... (Our method of theft prevention)

If you have license stickers, put them inside the case... The property numbers (if you still use those) should be put on all expensive parts...

And this is why you put a boot password on the BIOS level, and a good padlock on the case itself... (Our method of theft prevention)

If you have license stickers, put them inside the case... The property numbers (if you still use those) should be put on all expensive parts...

There's no key sticker. They used some kind of key finder software that is used for stealing windows keys on another machine in the room.

And someone put a bios password on another machine in the room after we got it finally working.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

There's no key sticker. They used some kind of key finder software that is used for stealing windows keys on another machine in the room.

And someone put a bios password on another machine in the room after we got it finally working.

When everything fails, cut the power... Restrict usage until the culprits have been prosecuted...

When everything fails, cut the power... Restrict usage until the culprits have been prosecuted...

Professor agrees with us. We were the ones who were getting them working and now they came along and literally broke everything. 

He's pretty much saying we're the only ones allowed to get them working now.

Cut "all" of the power?

even the governments power?

Because he had a hard drive.

Cut "all" of the power?

even the governments power?

Yiss... Anarchy.

Obviously I meant cutting power to the lab which has the computers... If I was an instructor there and found out about the thefts, I'll put the lab on lockdown until the culprits fess up or they somehow return the parts... I'll also personally see to the expulsion of the culprits for vandalism and theft...

This is on a comment on one of linus's semi-old videos; the first comment isn't that bad, it basically says that 1440p surround is never a good option because surround 1080p is cheaper. That isn't THAT bad, but there are cases where money isn't that big of an issue so 1440p surround is better. Now is the good part:

Steve-O 

2k means 2 times the amount of pixels of standard hd = 1280x720p if you double that you get 2560x1440p, and just with 4k it is 4 times the amount of standard hd 720p

Nathaniel G

that is just purely wrong, 2k stands for the number of horizontal pixels. Also, there are over 8x the number of pixels in a 4k screen compared to a 720p one. Same goes with your wrong idea of 2k, that has 4x the pixels of 720p. You're just plain wrong with this. 

Steve-O 

lol i guess the whole internet is wrong then too because that is what it says everywhere and it actually makes sense unlike your 2.5k which doesnt exist

Nathaniel G

2k  vs 2.5k is debated, but your way of determining the name isn't even close to being correct. You can easily find the resolution of a 4k display: 3840x2160, 1280x720=921,600pixels. 3840x2160= 8,294,400. 8294400/921600=9. that means that by your logic, 4k should be called 9k, but it isn't. your logic would have 2k/2.5k named as 4k. If you don't believe that 3840x2160 is the resolution of 4k, just google it.

If he replies again I will update this or post a follow up post.