Experiences with non-techies

woot, 600 freakin pages!

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! *RIPS HAIR OUT* *SLAMS KEYBOARD OFF DESK* *PUNCHES HOLE IN WALL* FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YOU CYBERPOWER PC!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

A4-5300 & integrated. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D1KWWEI/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B0089KDCIU

About as powerful as an Xbox

But the worst I could think of would be a Xeon e7 v2 and a GeForce4 PCX4300, with the added luxury of PCIe 1.0 instead of AGP

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I post this here, since I have no idea where it should go.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

A customer (i do pc mantenience) brings a system to install a new hdd... also brought his monitor, mouse and keyboard... My WTF face was so notorious the guy ruborized.

I like the lack of brands mentioned.

I post this here, since I have no idea where it should go.

Dat professionalism doe...

Also 12000 post

IKR, it's a micro-ATX motherboard in an ATX chassis.....

I've seen mini ITXs in XL-ATX chassis before...

Well it has an AM3+ CPU so I doubt they could've gotten it that small anyways.. But I'm sure they would have tried if it could've been done....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I like the lack of brands mentioned.

Dat professionalism doe...

1200TH POST 1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST

I would've just made the text bigger, but I'm on mobile so, all I have is copy, paste :P

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

1200TH POST 1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST1200TH POST

I would've just made the text bigger, but I'm on mobile so, all I have is copy, paste :P

Ohhhh I never noticed. imma go edit that in now.

Firsts things first a customer brings in a computer that needs a virus removal. Instead of getting that computer fixed she bought a refurbished computer from a shop that I work at . Gets the computer home and shortly after she calls us saying that the computer we sold her has the same exact virus that her older computer has. Short story short she plugged in the old computer instead of the new one.

Two days later she calls back saying that the CD drive is not working on the computer we just sold her. We told her to bring it in so we could replace the CD drive. Brings it in and we find that the CD drive works just fine. Another short story short she had the computer upside down and was trying to put the CD in the bottom of the drives tray.

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

One of my teachers told me that computers are obsolete and that tablets will replace them

I felt the need to kill her.

Your teacher sounds like a well known English TV show...

*Cough 

*cough

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

throw in an ITX GPU too! with a low profile CPU cooler!!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

throw in an ITX GPU too! with a low profile CPU cooler!!

Throw in a watercooled NUC into a Corsair 900D and be done with it...

Firsts things first a customer brings in a computer that needs a virus removal. Instead of getting that computer fixed she bought a refurbished computer from a shop that I work at . Gets the computer home and shortly after she calls us saying that the computer we sold her has the same exact virus that her older computer has. Short story short she plugged in the old computer instead of the new one.

Two days later she calls back saying that the CD drive is not working on the computer we just sold her. We told her to bring it in so we could replace the CD drive. Brings it in and we find that the CD drive works just fine. Another short story short she had the computer upside down and was trying to put the CD in the bottom of the drives tray.

How the fuck do you put a computer upside down?

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Throw in a watercooled NUC into a Corsair 900D and be done with it...

Use the empty space to stow away your collection of discs that you don't talk about.

oh I have a story for you guys:

back when I put together my first build for a buddy, I had the choice between a 4770k and the 4771. There was a price difference maybe 30 bucks, I can't remember, but anyway, the lady told me the K meant if it came with the stock fan. Now I needed the stock fan for the initial POST test on the mobo box like how linus does it because I bought a H55. But here's where things get good:

I BELIEVED HER!! I DIDN'T LOOK IT UP AND I BOUGHT THE 4771!! IT CAME WITH THE STOCK FAN!! I BOUGHT A Z87 MOBO, AIO WATERCOOLING AND NOW I CAN'T OVERCLOCK IT!!!!! 

Sometime later I learned that K really meant if it could be overclocked! AND SHE WAS THE NON-TECHIE!!

BUT IT WAS TOO LATE TO RETURN IT!! AND I...I....I WAS THE REAL NON-TECHIE!!!! *DRAMATIC MUSIC!!!* *LIGHTNING CRACKLES!!*

Edit: I had so much large text and red, but LTT took it away..

@FluffiestPond et al

OPINION:-

I think what was meant(originaly[1]) was that desktops will not be as popular as they were/are . Not that they will be totally obsolete.

Most people will only use the capabilities of a tablet (possibly a netbook) and do not need a full blown desktop . 

This does not mean the parts will not be availlable to enthusiasts it just means they will be "harder"(FSVO) to get .  Witness the reduction in 'Ma & Pa' computer stores and the reduction (in the computer press) of part/system ads.

[1] Dramatasised from "not as popular" to "obsolete" for TV impact purposes in the script. 

Doesn't sound so 'unsure of itself'.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

@FluffiestPond et al

OPINION:-

I think what was meant(originaly[1]) was that desktops will not be as popular as they were/are . Not that they will be totally obsolete.

Most people will only use the capabilities of a tablet (possibly a netbook) and do not need a full blown desktop . 

This does not mean the parts will not be availlable to enthusiasts it just means they will be "harder"(FSVO) to get .  Witness the reduction in 'Ma & Pa' computer stores and the reduction (in the computer press) of part/system ads.

[1] Dramatasised from "not as popular" to "obsolete" for TV impact purposes in the script. 

Doesn't sound so 'unsure of itself'.

I do disagree with you there, in my opinion that entire video, everything from the title to the narrative was pure crap. They are trying to say that desktops are becoming obsolete. The best part is where he mentions the "myth" that PC's have more storage. Then goes on to hold up a 1tb USB stick.. Yeah, cause I know 1000's of people that can afford £1000 memory sticks.. Especially when you can buy a (or soon to be able) 10tb hard drive for probably the same money, if not cheaper?  I can not see Tablets having anywhere near the same amount of power and capability and desktops/laptops for a long long time. 

"You simply don't need desktops any more" Now no offence to you, but how could you even begin to defend a statement like that? Not only is it misleading and downright untrue, it's ridiculously hypocritical. Unless they shoot, edit, render and upload their content on a tablet, they are using Desktops... Video editing, Picture editing, Animation, Design, Coding, Programming, Gaming, The software used to run these "Desktop Killers" is made by people using.. That's right, Desktops...  Yes, you can find a device to do each of those things, maybe a couple of those things. But I challenge you to find me a tablet that can do all of that, and play fully modded Skyrim at a steady 50fps.

Until then Desktops are king. And the Gadget Show is full of absolute shit.

*Edit*

I know I sound like a PC elitist and maybe I am. But I'm just stating facts. I get annoyed when "Reputable" shows like that misinform people to such an extent. I do respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it :P

Ahhhh the Internet :D

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat