Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, rrats said:

3rd hand experience - people unable to change record speed on Taylor Swift's new LP, then giving negative reviews stating that "a deep voice is singing on the 'Red' album"

Are we really surprised that tay-tay's fans possess the intellectual capacity of a doorknob?

"tHiS vIrAl TiKtOk HaCk"

it's literally what a projector is used for. Have you ever seen a projector before

This $49 trick from a viral TikTok is blowing people’s minds (msn.com)

"As you can see, this portable projector TikTok trick is awesome. Pham has a bare wall next to his bed. You can of course use any wall in any room, not just a wall in your bedroom. Then, with a cheap little projector, Pham beams all sorts of different scenes onto the wall next to his bed.

The first example in his TikTok is an aquarium scene, but things get really cool after that. He projects a window view onto his wall. It’s like he’s instantly transported to the tropics!"

On 11/11/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Review from person who was probably using a HDMI to DP cable as DP to HDMI which it wasn't designed to do. Entirely user error

image.png.b903d08bd735665f1cd05ae8ffe16efa.png

Um.... that should

its digital to digital, shouldnt be monodirectional

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

"tHiS vIrAl TiKtOk HaCk"

it's literally what a projector is used for. Have you ever seen a projector before

This $49 trick from a viral TikTok is blowing people’s minds (msn.com)

"As you can see, this portable projector TikTok trick is awesome. Pham has a bare wall next to his bed. You can of course use any wall in any room, not just a wall in your bedroom. Then, with a cheap little projector, Pham beams all sorts of different scenes onto the wall next to his bed.

The first example in his TikTok is an aquarium scene, but things get really cool after that. He projects a window view onto his wall. It’s like he’s instantly transported to the tropics!"

Wait till they project a movie onto the wall to feel like in the world of the movie.

Also I swear i feel like this may actually just be an advertisement of sorts

✨FNIGE✨

6 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Um.... that should

It doesn't work that way. Format converting isn't as easy

7 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Um.... that should

Oversimplified... but DP to HDMI only works passively because DP has "backwards compatibility" to put out the simpler HDMI signal. The opposite is hard because you've got to make what's missing from HDMI to make DP, need converter chips to do that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Was attempting to have a zoom call with a friend a year back. She was already using Zoom on her phone, but wanted to use her windows laptop. I asked her to install zoom and join, but she kept mentioning that it isn't installing. I called her on Whatsapp, saw her do it, and this was it:

- She goes to google.com

- She types in 'install zoom'

- Clicks first link

- Clicks install button on the page, and the button changes to 'Installed'

- Looks up zoom in start menu, it isn't there

The problem was that the first link open Play Store, and she kept clicking Install button there which caused it to install zoom on her phone. I told her that you're opening play store, and she was like, 'yeah, that's how one installs shit, doesn't it?'. Which is technically correct in her experience.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

Is VGA on the HDMI port still a thing or history?

Not aware of that existing, VGA out from DVI was a thing yes but is mostly gone, no point keeping including a DAC anymore. And DVI itself is pretty much gone too...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, FnigePython said:

Wait till they project a movie onto the wall to feel like in the world of the movie.

Also I swear i feel like this may actually just be an advertisement of sorts

Probably an Ad.  They're darn sneaky about them these days.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Not aware of that existing, VGA out from DVI was a thing yes but is mostly gone, no point keeping including a DAC anymore. And DVI itself is pretty much gone too...

You say that, but then there's the computers my office just bought, which have not only DVI and VGA plugs on the MOBO, but also a PS2 plug.  And these are "brand-new" computers.

Just now, IPD said:

You say that, but then there's the computers my office just bought, which have not only DVI and VGA plugs on the MOBO, but also a PS2 plug.  And these are "brand-new" computers.

Yup, and for office enviroments that will be a long time since those will change.

Lots of VGA, and lots of old keyboards going around still.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

When notebooks removed the VGA port at least a few could use a passive adapter to get VGA from the HDMI port.

That is very unlikely, unless thay channeled the VGA over the HDMI lines.

But that could lead to many an issue. My guess is they were active.
Or that it came special with the notebook and it ported the VGA trough the HDMI plug. (Most likely it ported the DVI connection that could handle analogue as well).

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

And DVI itself is pretty much gone too...

I like DVI because, good luck finding a GPU i'd buy/benchmark for YT without one. For retro of course sometimes VGA is only but I like not having to change too much around in my filming setup.

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I like DVI because, good luck finding a GPU i'd buy/benchmark for YT without one. For retro of course sometimes VGA is only but I like not having to change too much around in my filming setup.

The only reason I don’t use DVI more (all of my cards have native DVI-D digital only and DVI-I digital/analog) is my only cable is a pile of crap and I can’t overclock my monitors past 64 and 63 Hz compared to 77 and 74 Hz over HDMI.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The only reason I don’t use DVI more (all of my cards have native DVI-D digital only and DVI-I digital/analog) is my only cable is a pile of crap and I can’t overclock my monitors past 64 and 63 Hz compared to 77 and 74 Hz over HDMI.

In my experience overclocking monitors via DVI is a pain in the backside.
VGA and like you said HDMI works way better.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:36 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Review from person who was probably using a HDMI to DP cable as DP to HDMI which it wasn't designed to do. Entirely user error

image.png.b903d08bd735665f1cd05ae8ffe16efa.png

Me, a Chinese:

feel guilty Memes - Imgflip

Edited by CT854
me, a dumb:

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

funny-pictures-11-18-21-8.jpg

Hallmark prank. Not enough to be malicious, absolutely enough to cause confusion and grind things to a halt.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

6 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Hallmark prank. Not enough to be malicious, absolutely enough to cause confusion and grind things to a halt.

I pulled a similar one on a coworker of mine that in retrospect is kinda malicious. Took a screenshot of his desktop, rotated it by 180° and set it as a wallpaper. Then I hid all the desktop icons and task bar and flipped the screen by 180° in the display options. For good measure, I also taped a bit of paper over the mouse sensor so he had no idea why his cursor didn't move. That was the last time he didn't follow company policy to lock his screen when leaving his desk.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

32 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I pulled a similar one on a coworker of mine that in retrospect is kinda malicious. Took a screenshot of his desktop, rotated it by 180° and set it as a wallpaper. Then I hid all the desktop icons and task bar and flipped the screen by 180° in the display options. For good measure, I also taped a bit of paper over the mouse sensor so he had no idea why his cursor didn't move. That was the last time he didn't follow company policy to lock his screen when leaving his desk.

Screenshot desktop, make background the screenshot, hide icons, hilarity ensues. That one never gets old.

56 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

That was the last time he didn't follow company policy to lock his screen when leaving his desk.

I'm sure I mentioned this in this thread before, but my favorite prank at school happened when I volunteered at the library. People would sometimes leave their Gmail accounts open when printing stuff, so I'd copy-paste the entire Bee Movie script onto their Drive for them to find along with a note to log themselves out in the future.