Experiences with non-techies

When my ISP sales department called me asking if i wanted to renew my subscription.

The girl on the line was adamant i did not have fiber optic internet.
I told her i could show her the optical cables going into my modem.🤦‍♂️

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 11/10/2021 at 8:22 AM, CT854 said:

It was a Hanns.G monitor that came bundled with a prebuilt PC I got for Christmas in... 2009, if I recall right.

Wow, I used the same 768p monitor for 10 years...

dang lol 2009 I didn't even know they still sold computer screens with a CRT screen D:

hopefully your new screen is baller!

if not, facebook marketplace is your friend, and I'd reccomend searching for a PLS 27 inch 1440p screen for like a hundred bucks. IPS can be better but PLS is so new that it's hard to get one that's really bad compared to a lot of LCD tech imo

8 hours ago, afwasboi said:

today i had a man that after 20 mins of explanation on how his laptop was turning off after a couple hours of use because heat increases with long use and if it get too hot it shuts down to protect itself, he hits me with the argument that if that was the case computers wouldn't run in africa..... why do ppl always think they know better then the expert they sought out for help?? it dazzles me tbh

... how hot do they think Africa is?

It's certainly true that elevated temperatures give the hardware less headway to run, but like... Africa is a giant continent with diverse climates.

6 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

hopefully your new screen is baller!

if not, facebook marketplace is your friend, and I'd reccomend searching for a PLS 27 inch 1440p screen for like a hundred bucks. IPS can be better but PLS is so new that it's hard to get one that's really bad compared to a lot of LCD tech imo

My 2019 upgrade was a 1080p TN panel I got as another present. A few weeks ago I took the plunge to get the fabled PG279QM IPS 1440p 240Hz panel and am using the TN panel is a secondary monitor.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

TLDR: Elder brother wanted to install W10 on his laptop, just copied over the iso file to the usb and tried to boot to it, complained of a black screen, instead of using the media creation tool.

Went to my native place a few weeks back, and my brother(elder) was trying to install W10 on his old laptop. He told me that he had selected the boot device correctly but it won't get past the black screen. Spent a few minutes trying to figure out the problem when I remembered I had seen the file copy dialogue on his (second)laptop when I was passing by, and so I asked him whether he just copied the iso file over to the drive. "Yes."
Me: -_-

Edited by RockSolid1106
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

13 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

TLDR: Elder brother wanted to install W10 on his laptop, just copied over the iso file to the usb and tried to boot to it, complained of a black screen, instead of using the media creation tool.

Went to my native place a few weeks back, and my brother(elder) was trying to install W10 on his old laptop. He told me that he had selected the boot device properly but it won't get past the black screen when he did that. Spent a few minutes trying to figure out the problem when I remembered that I had seen the file copy dialogue on his laptop when I was passing by, and so I asked him whether he just copied the iso file over to the drive. "Yes."
Me: -_-

noob question lol, does windows give a iso file automatically even with a usb or did you use a cd?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

24 minutes ago, adarw said:

noob question lol, does windows give a iso file automatically even with a usb or did you use a cd?

I don't know tbh, seems he managed to get the iso file from the website directly which I think is possible instead of using the media creation tool.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

10 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Review from person who was probably using a HDMI to DP cable as DP to HDMI which it wasn't designed to do. Entirely user error

image.png.b903d08bd735665f1cd05ae8ffe16efa.png

1 Star Amazon reviews are my absolute favorite thing. It's like looking through the glass into an idiot convention. I've seen reviews of double sided tape where people are complaining about how the tape didn't hold, but when it failed to hold it ripped a chunk out of their wall.

6 hours ago, InstantNewt said:

1 Star Amazon reviews are my absolute favorite thing. It's like looking through the glass into an idiot convention. I've seen reviews of double sided tape where people are complaining about how the tape didn't hold, but when it failed to hold it ripped a chunk out of their wall.

I’ve seen reviews for things that literally have product images that say “I didn’t like how it looked thought it would look better” 1 star but like bruh there’s literally an image 

On 11/10/2021 at 3:44 AM, CptnReflex said:

VGA is the VHS of display connectors 

Coax would like a word with you.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, afwasboi said:

today i had a man that after 20 mins of explanation on how his laptop was turning off after a couple hours of use because heat increases with long use and if it get too hot it shuts down to protect itself, he hits me with the argument that if that was the case computers wouldn't run in africa..... why do ppl always think they know better then the expert they sought out for help?? it dazzles me tbh

So then I thought to myself, you know it's odd.  With all the vampires everywhere, you'd think someone would have come up with a better way of dealing with all of them.  Like holy water will overpower them, so why not just sanctify every thunderstorm and call it a day?  It's always dark when it rains, and vampires avoid sunlight--so that seems like a good idea.  And then it hit me.  There's vampires in America, Asia and Europe.  But there are no vampires in Africa.  Because someone already blessed the rains down in Africa.

22 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Review from person who was probably using a HDMI to DP cable as DP to HDMI which it wasn't designed to do. Entirely user error

image.png.b903d08bd735665f1cd05ae8ffe16efa.png

Like using a Crossover cable as a Patch cable....

My coworker thought a SSD was just a stick you could connect to "that thing in the front."

I had to tell her what a boot drive was, and why our computers were really slow. She laughed at how simple of a fix it would be still.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

1 hour ago, IPD said:

So then I thought to myself, you know it's odd.  With all the vampires everywhere, you'd think someone would have come up with a better way of dealing with all of them.  Like holy water will overpower them, so why not just sanctify every thunderstorm and call it a day?  It's always dark when it rains, and vampires avoid sunlight--so that seems like a good idea.  And then it hit me.  There's vampires in America, Asia and Europe.  But there are no vampires in Africa.  Because someone already blessed the rains down in Africa.

Not gonna lie, you had me in the first half.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Like using a Crossover cable as a Patch cable....

That works just fine on anything made in the past ~15 years...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 11/13/2021 at 3:31 AM, Kilrah said:

That works just fine on anything made in the past ~15 years...

I have not tried using a crossover cable to connect to ethernet, but if you say so......

1 hour ago, IPD said:

I have not tried using a crossover cable to connect to ethernet, but if you say so......

Yup, works just fine. Auto-MDIX was already a thing in later/better 100M Ethernet adapters, but was made into the standard for gigabit. So anything with a gigabit port won't care what cable you use for what purpose.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

My friend is installing Windows on his MacBook, he says something about usb being slow, I ask him if he installed the drivers. He said yeah I did what you said, installed everything under Windows Update. I asked if he restarted and he was like "oh I needed to do that" 

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Could have been a Linux user.

Depending on the distro/kernel you might never need to restart it. 

Btw. Any Windows server users? Do those have the same issues like Windows desktop (e.g. bad/broken updates and requiring restarts)?

He was a Mac user. Only ever used Macs.

And I know that a lot of the things in normal Windows that break it are disabled in Server so it's a lot more stable. 

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yup, works just fine. Auto-MDIX was already a thing in later/better 100M Ethernet adapters, but was made into the standard for gigabit. So anything with a gigabit port won't care what cable you use for what purpose.

White-green Green, White-orange Blue, White-blue Orange, White-brown Brown.